Author Topic: Hello from Cumbria  (Read 1754 times)

emdaw

Hello from Cumbria
« on: 17:46:30, 16/02/20 »
Hello, I thought it about time I joined as have been a regular follower of this forum for the last 3 years or so, first discovered it when researching for the Coast to Coast which we then went to to do in July 2018. Did the Dales Highway last year and are currently planning to do the Pennine Way in July this year. Have completed all 214 Wainwrights, although this did take us 9 years as we had to fit them in over holidays as we used to live in the Midlands. Seemed to spend most of the time stuck in traffic on the M6 when travelling to Cumbria  >:( .  When we retired we took the decision to up sticks and move up North.  Best decision we have made, now living in the Eden Valley and loving its location,  easy access to so much walking in the Lake District and North Pennines.  O0  Looking forward to contributing to the forum.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: 18:11:51, 16/02/20 »
Welcome to the forum.

You've chosen a lovely place to live.
It feels like everyone is walking the PW this year.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:19:17, 16/02/20 »
Welcome to the forum from Aberdeenshire

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:18:28, 17/02/20 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

Loads of splendid walking there, especially the North Pennines if you like wilderness and solitude.
I hope you're not too close to the Eden right now  :)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:52:42, 17/02/20 »

Loads of splendid walking there, especially the North Pennines if you like wilderness and solitude.

I was just thinking that - flood warnings all over the place but fortunately most of it seems to be away from the Lakes at the moment - not that it won't avoid the hills being sodden of course.

emdaw

« Reply #5 on: 09:38:53, 18/02/20 »
Welcome to the forum.

You've chosen a lovely place to live.
It feels like everyone is walking the PW this year.
[Currently busy planning daily itinerary/route.  We will be carrying all our gear but staying in B&B/hostels. Have been trawling through some of the PW previous threads and have gained lots of useful info to help in our planning, thanks all.  Just hoping it's stopped raining by July!!!  p.s First time replying using quote so hope have done this correctly.  /quote]

emdaw

« Reply #6 on: 09:46:14, 18/02/20 »
Help how do I reply quoting someones post correctly, tried to quote Ridges but my reply doesn't look like its in the correct place, thanks.  Did read the help section but must have misunderstood.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:01:04, 18/02/20 »
Help how do I reply quoting someones post correctly, tried to quote Ridges but my reply doesn't look like its in the correct place, thanks.  Did read the help section but must have misunderstood.

Your reply text must be placed right at the end after the quoted text, most easily ensured by doing a newline after the quote.
The previous reply that went wrong has the opening bracket of the end-quote characters misplaced, it lies immediately before the word "Currently".
It's a bit hard to describe in words, unfortunately I don't know any way of safely posting code-blocks to this forum.

If in doubt, before submitting the post use the Preview button to see what it will actually look like.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:38:21, 18/02/20 »
I hope you enjoy your sojourn in the Eden.  Are you Upper or Lower Eden?  The first house we bought after our return to the UK was up near the shallow end, close to the Pennines.  We spent the best part of 5 years there before moving to a relatively more benign climate in Devon.  My advice would be do not neglect the North Pennines, not just the Cross Fell area but the whole area up to and beyond Alston.  Further south but above the honeypots of Swaledale, Arkengarthdale, Birkdale and Mallerstang are worth exploring and if you tackle the Howgills from the N, you will probably have them to yourselves.  If you cross on the fell road from Brough to Middleton, there is a lot of good walking in Teesdale too.
If you go to http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/members/contributions.php?user=ninthace  and enlarge the map you will find quite a few ideas for walks outside the Lakes.  I am in the throes of retrospectively downloading these to ViewRanger.
Why did we ever leave the Eden?  The slow loss of our village to developers and the weather (I lost a crop of tomatoes to frost in June and they were in a greenhouse!)
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:32:30, 18/02/20 »
Welcome from South Cumbria.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

emdaw

« Reply #10 on: 16:47:08, 18/02/20 »

Thankfully we are a couple of miles uphill from the Eden. Yes we can be out on the Pennines in August and not see another person, Cumrew fell is one of our local routes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:32:14, 18/02/20 »
Thankfully we are a couple of miles uphill from the Eden. Yes we can be out on the Pennines in August and not see another person, Cumrew fell is one of our local routes.
  Wow - you are really up the deep end!
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:51:33, 18/02/20 »

Lovely country - my grandparents lived in the Brampton area.

Off to Castle Carrock for the Music on the Marr festival in July :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:28:57, 19/02/20 »
  Wow - you are really up the deep end!

Literally if you're in the North Pennines.  I've started hiking in wellies instead of hiking boots for most of that patch.

emdaw

« Reply #14 on: 11:51:39, 19/02/20 »

Literally if you're in the North Pennines.  I've started hiking in wellies instead of hiking boots for most of that patch.

You are not far wrong there.  Tend to keep off them at this time of year.  Plenty of nice quiet roads to walk round here in current weather rather than bog trotting or should that be bog sloshing!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy