Author Topic: Dartmoor  (Read 1723 times)

Pilgrim

Dartmoor
« on: 13:57:19, 24/03/15 »
Hi everyone...very soon to be going wild camping and hiking on Dartmoor.. don't really mind where I start but was wondering if anyone knew of a place to leave a car...  otherwise I will travel by train. Many thanks.  :)

Pilgrim

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Dartmoor
« Reply #1 on: 17:06:50, 24/03/15 »
It depends where you intend starting walking from, but wherever it is try to leave it somewhere in a town, rather than an isolated car park.  Cars regularly get broken into in remote Dartmoor car parks.

thomasdevon

« Reply #2 on: 23:22:45, 24/03/15 »
I have parked for both daytime and overnight periods at Belstone - very large unlimited free car park just on edge of village as you enter it from the north.

DartmoorWalker

« Reply #3 on: 15:59:31, 28/03/15 »
Last weekend I did my first wild camp on Dartmoor and I parked my car in the public car park behind the Dartmoor Inn pub which is on the A386 just outside Lydford. The car park is up a lane that have a gate and there are some houses near.

I didn't have any problems and will be using this spot again.
Wainwrights - 161
The Saints Way - Cornwall

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:14:48, 29/03/15 »
I have also used both those car parks with no trouble. There is also a large one at Postbridge, which is quite busy and therefore 'safe'. It's also a good position to start walking from. Enjoy :)

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: 23:05:16, 08/04/15 »
I walked the 2 Moors Way a few years ago and left my car for several days at Ivybridge station car park.   It's large and didn't cost anything (then, can't say if that's since changed).    There were no problems with the car when I got back.

From the car park you walk up through the town and are soon on the moor.    Because Ivybridge is on the main line to Plymouth it's relatively easy to get back to if you want a linear walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy