Author Topic: What do you do about the rain?  (Read 5036 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: What do you do about the rain?
« Reply #15 on: 19:58:28, 03/11/18 »
I'm not entirely happy with them (camera wise), I notice more detail in some other peoples photos plus I wonder how much better the photos would look if I could play around with them in Lightroom. Plus there's more control with a proper camera but I'd have to learn how to make best use of that. I also have a habit of putting my finger across the camera phone's lens which I'd be less likely to do with a proper camera but Barclaycard are already throwing a party with my recent walking purchases I'm not sure I can justify a new camera when they're good enough to remember my walk.

It sounds like you know where you want to improve. A good place to start migh5 be a second hand DSLR. Camera bodies lose their value very quickly, so some good deals can be found. You won’t need the latest camera to get more detail and control than your phone. There are also a lot of free online resources that can help you learn to improve. I can point you to a very helpful photography forum, but I am not sure if this forum’s rules allow me to do that. I can always PM you a link if you are interested.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:20:25, 03/11/18 »
It sounds like you know where you want to improve. A good place to start migh5 be a second hand DSLR. Camera bodies lose their value very quickly, so some good deals can be found. You won’t need the latest camera to get more detail and control than your phone.

My camera is good enough for me really my photos don't have to be the best to please me. I think I will upgrade but not yet. Do I really need a DSLR or would a compact be suitable? At the moment I don't know enough to make use of a DSLR so I might as well just get a compact. I don't know how much difference it would make to the kind of photos I take or if I'd start taking different photos. Good call on second hand, hadn't thought of that.

There are also a lot of free online resources that can help you learn to improve. I can point you to a very helpful photography forum, but I am not sure if this forum’s rules allow me to do that. I can always PM you a link if you are interested.

Sure, PM me. I can lurk around and learn a few things before making any decisions and taking the plunge.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 06:50:55, 04/11/18 »
When clagged in, the occasional moody shot of people or dramatic rocky edges. Around rain showers you can get some good atmospheric shots.

Yes, I agree with this...although if it's raining heavily for prolonged periods, my camera stays in my rucksack (in a plastic bag) where it's dry and safe!
I like it when the sky looks 'moody', especially when set against the colours of Autumn 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

tenmilesplus

« Reply #18 on: 11:10:31, 07/11/18 »
A compact is a good move, the problem is that there are so many different ones at different prices and qualities.. It's not always a case of spend much to get much.. I tried cheap ones but the technology is poor, slow to react, poor quality images, iffy colour reproduction etc.. I even had a camera where the view finder image was slightly different to what was captured. My advice would be to buy from a well known outlet, but there are issues with this, there are very few proper outlets anymore and you will pay more but the advice will be free and they will not sell anything unreliable as it will cause problems for them. I bought a Nikon D3100 to play around with and I thought I was doing well with it until I played with my mates Canon which gave  poor results, I realised it was because the D3100 was entry level and was compensating for my lack of talent.. I bought a used D80 as a 'next step' camera and have found it easier to use because it isn't constantly trying to 'compensate' for me.. Entry level DSLR do produce great images in the same way a compact will but a DSLR has the advantage of lens changes and flexibility in the settings although compacts have tried the lens change route..  My advice would be to look around at plenty of reviews and to go back 5 years or so to find a good quality compact and see if you gat get a discounted new or lightly used second hand one. Try to get one with standard batteries and carry spares, also carry spare SD cards. My Wife has a cheap Samsung that is 10 years old and it still produces great images and quite often they are better than the DSLR ones.. It is easy to be put off if you spend little money and the image are crap the same goes for spending loads of money and get lost in the confusion of the different adjustments, so a trip to a local camera shop is the best place to go, or visit a local camera club ? There are two ways of being able to get your hands on different cameras, get a 'feel' for what suits your hand and to try the different settings.. Image quality is Key here and just because a product says 20Megga pixels doesn't mean the image quality will be good, I have an old Sony Cybershot that is 2MP and it takes great pics.. As will anything quality will win through.. Welcome to a mine field...

I will take pics in the rain, I like to try and catch sun rays coming through clouds, reflections in puddles / rivers / lakes, I love clouds and the shapes and colours.. try a few easy tricks like capturing a raindrop on a leaf or ripples in a puddle or something similar..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:50:33, 07/11/18 »
I've been using a Fujifilm for a long time, which was ok for me, it's simple enough. Now I have a Cannon 1XUS, much better, colours are clearer, bolder, but I am struggling to get to grips with all the features, so I revert back to the Fujifilm for the videos.

I don't take many pictures in the rain, unless I see something stunning, or unusual, or interesting. If I need to I shelter under my umbrella.

ilona

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:47:36, 07/11/18 »
If you can't photograph the scenery, take a summit selfie looking all drenched and windswept ;)
Not all those who wander are lost

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:02:32, 07/11/18 »
Having had two beloved digital compacts ruined from getting wet, can I impress upon anyone thinking of buying a pouch for one to take any claims of it being "waterproof" with a pinch of salt.
Most that are offered as such are breaking the Trade Descriptions Act.

I've tried rolling the camera up in a plastic bag but found it still gets wet putting it back, particularly with wet hands. I currently use a ridiculously expensive stormproof pouch that does the job, simply drop the camera in by its little strap after use, with minimal handling. There are also clear plastic pouches available, I've not tried one but check the reviews, some seem to be OK, some not.

Have to agree with tenmilesplus's comments. My above-mentioned ruined cameras (Ricoh CX3 and CX6) gave lovely results with sharp shots and vibrant colours. I replaced the last with a Sony Cybershot at about £160-ish, all I could afford at the time, and by comparison its pictures are really drab even after editing, particularly the greens.
« Last Edit: 18:06:08, 07/11/18 by fernman »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:04:23, 07/11/18 »
If you can't photograph the scenery, take a summit selfie looking all drenched and windswept ;)

I have one like that, it belongs in the "Face of Fatigue" thread  ;D but I'm not going to post it!

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:14:59, 07/11/18 »
Thanks guys. Some good advice and experience there.

I like that, it would make a better selfie than my only current summit selfie (don't think it counts as a selfie actually since I asked a handy walker who was already at the summit when I arrived to take it), almost enough to get me back out in the rain...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:17:10, 07/11/18 »
I have one like that, it belongs in the "Face of Fatigue" thread  ;D but I'm not going to post it!

There should be a summit selfie thread.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:21:13, 07/11/18 »

Come rain.IMG_0291 by Owen Merrick, on Flickr
Come snow.
IMG_0377 by Owen Merrick, on Flickr
There always something to photograph.
IMG_0678 by Owen Merrick, on Flickr
Even if it's just yourself.

These were taken with a small waterproof compact, a Canon 30D which isn't made anymore but there are other around which are just as good. I believe Olympus make a very good one.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:24:14, 09/11/18 »
Took these pics on the Great Ridge on Thursday. The weather was generally awful that day....but there were still some 'oooh!' moments where the camera just had to come out.....

This is my favourite of the day....

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:13:27, 09/11/18 »
Lovely photos of the rainbow, sunnydale    :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy