Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 1556 times)

tidgy25

Hi everyone
« on: 12:21:18, 01/12/17 »
Hi Everyone,

First time here, just looking for a little bit of advice really, we are thinking of doing Mam Tor tomorrow is it too cold to do it or is it perfectly fine.
We have never done a cold weather hike before, we are pretty new to it, we have done a few this year Kinder Scout, The Roaches ect so some long walks but all over the summer.
Is there anything we need to look out for in the cold weather, we have decathlons mid range hiking gear.
Is there anything we should pack extra?

Bit of advice would be appreciated  :D

Murphy

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: 12:26:57, 01/12/17 »
How far are you going either side of Mam Tor so proper advice can be given but Mam Tor in itself is very easy.  Tends to be a bit windy sometimes.  People pop up to the top and down again to walk off Sunday lunch.  In fact if it is a nice day, you will need to queue up the steps!  On a clear day the views are excellent.

tidgy25

« Reply #2 on: 12:39:03, 01/12/17 »
Its Mam Tor and the Ridge so 8.5miles i think  :-\

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:44:13, 01/12/17 »
I'd agree with Murphy that the usual problem people encounter on Mam Tor is the wind but it doesn't look like that should be an issue tomorrow. If the flagged sections of path or the rocky section up to Back Tor are icy, it'd be as well to take care in case it's slippy underfoot.

Otherwise, it's pretty easy and pleasant walking and you're not far from civilisation, with Castleton and Hope down in the valley on one side and Edale on the other. Castleton in particular has some very nice cafes and pubs. There are several paths down along the ridge if you need to cut the walk short for any reason.

I just looked at the forecast and it does seem like it might be a bit murky over there tomorrow with mist and fog throughout the day, so you might not get those views. As Murphy says, they are excellent. Sunday looks a bit better weather-wise.

Either way, hope you enjoy yourselves.  :) O0

tidgy25

« Reply #4 on: 13:48:22, 01/12/17 »
Brilliant thanks peeps, should be fine as long as we wrap up warm and like you say watch out for ice.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:55:53, 01/12/17 »
May I suggest use layers to keep warm, rather than one solid mass of clothing, when you start to puff, pant and feel hot, slip off a layer to get back to being comfortable. As regards gloves I always have a thin pair with mittens to cover, again chop and change, sometimes mittens only sometimes both at the same time, for me its all about keeping warm and staying comfortable. Small rucksack useful.

tidgy25

« Reply #6 on: 15:58:52, 01/12/17 »
I have read that about the layers, so thats what we are going for, i think i will have earnt a pint after it.

tidgy25

« Reply #7 on: 10:04:47, 04/12/17 »
We survived and what a great walk, visibility was poor but still a great walk, thanks for the advice  O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:28:03, 04/12/17 »
Hi tidgy and welcome from the Peak District O0

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your walk!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 06:01:06, 05/12/17 »
Glad to hear you had a good walk, Tidgy - I wondered how you were getting on when I looked out at the misty weather on Saturday.  :)

heminway

« Reply #10 on: 09:22:10, 05/12/17 »
Hi Everyone,

First time here, just looking for a little bit of advice really, we are thinking of doing Mam Tor tomorrow is it too cold to do it or is it perfectly fine.
We have never done a cold weather hike before, we are pretty new to it, we have done a few this year Kinder Scout, The Roaches ect so some long walks but all over the summer.
Is there anything we need to look out for in the cold weather, we have decathlons mid range hiking gear.

heminway

« Reply #11 on: 10:37:35, 12/12/17 »
Hi Everyone,

RogerA

« Reply #12 on: 11:57:21, 22/12/17 »
Welcome to the forum from another newbie.

It was also very good to read your post and replies - I'm off to Mam Tor on boxing day so will be helpful advice for me too

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy