Author Topic: Y3P Ben Nevis Comparisson  (Read 3508 times)

topher83

Y3P Ben Nevis Comparisson
« on: 16:52:15, 04/05/16 »
Hi All

More out of curiosity than anything else, I did Ben Nevis last year and this weekend me and some others are planning on doing the Yorkshire three peak walk (done penyghent and inglebourgh individually as well)

I understand its longer and has a higher overall height climbed than ben nevis, but also has some decents to break up the ascents

Which in everyone's opinion is more difficult, ben nevis or the Y3P

Am I going to be skipping along thinking its easy, or wishing I was half way up ben nevis?

Thanks
Chris

cakehead

Re: Y3P Ben Nevis Comparisson
« Reply #1 on: 21:42:47, 04/05/16 »
Y3P is 24 miles and around 5000 feet of ascent. Ben Nevis is around 10.5 miles and just over 4400ft. I have done both and also the national three peaks and found the yorkshire three peaks the hardest. Ben Nevis on its own I personally found much easier than both three peaks but I suppose it depends on the person and levels of training and fitness at time of each challenge. Hope this helps.  :)
Better to have lived 1 day as a Tiger than a thousand years as a sheep!

Pura Vida

« Reply #2 on: 21:52:15, 04/05/16 »
The descent from Whernside will test your calves and the final stretch from Ingleborough goes on for ever. Start early and take a torch.
Enjoy  :)
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:02:33, 05/05/16 »
All I will say is do not let Satan tempt you into the The Old Hill Inn as you come down off of Whernside or you will be very very sorry indeed!  ;D

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:07:11, 05/05/16 »
Trouble is I did the Ben when I was 19; can't remember finding it hard at all, it just went on a bit.  I did the Y3P when I was over 60 having been assured by a friend it was a doddle and I couldn't call myself a Yorkshire lass if I'd never done it.  I was pretty ok until the top of Ingleborough when I realised there was no way I could make it back to the car 5 miles away.  Not having much choice however......
The worst bit of the last couple of miles was all those young things running past us to get in under the 12 hours.  I have to say that having done it, I feel no need to do it again. The friend I went with seems to do it most years.  Even given the difference in years I would say it is harder than Ben Nevis, and would echo the comment about the descent of Whernside, it's steep and goes on for ever! And the one about the Hill Inn.  On the other hand that pint when you get back to Horton is the best!

topher83

« Reply #5 on: 11:48:58, 05/05/16 »

When I get back off Ben Nevis, I never thought "that was good lets go do it again for good measure" so doing double does sound daunting, bet weathers good so looking forward to it at least  8)

Thanks for setting expectations

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy