Author Topic: Vango Mirage 200 Tent Repair  (Read 1127 times)

MarkT

Vango Mirage 200 Tent Repair
« on: 13:33:21, 27/05/20 »
Just before lock down begun I was camping and some of you may have read in a previous TR I had a little accident and broke my rib. Getting in and out of the tent was extremely difficult and the following morning discovered I had damaged my tent. I guess I either lent on the tent too much trying to get in or I rolled over during the night against the side of the tent and the material encasing the front pole ripped and the pole itself broke a little.

Snapped section of front pole

Ripped section of material

How the tent should look.The rip in the material is roughly where the Robin is perched.

Regards the broken pole, I will be ordering a new pole section and will replace the broken part, rather than buying a whole complete pole. However I'm not sure the best way to repair the ripped material. My concern is, if I was to use a large enough patch of material, which came with the tent, when the tent is erected will the patch repair be strong enough to withstand the pressure from the force of the pole that feeds through the material. And will adhesive be strong enough?

So what would people suggest? Is there any material that would be more suitable/stronger compared to the patch that came with the tent or will that be strong enough. I will also be ordering some new adhesive as I can't find my old tube, again, any particular recommendations? Also, whatever way I repair the material, am I best doing it when the tent is erected and the material stretched or best patching the material when it isn't under pressure from the pole?

I have seen on a website the product below and was thinking that might be more suitable or maybe use both but have no experience in tent repairs so hoping people can advise.

I want to do a proper job and not just a temporary repair.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 14:22:13, 27/05/20 by MarkT »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Vango Mirage 200 Tent Repair
« Reply #1 on: 13:52:33, 27/05/20 »
Put the adhesive patch on so that it goes down beyond the base of the sleeve on both sides, and then sew it along the base of the sleeve, as close to the tent as is practical, so as not to inhibit the pole when you are pushing it through.

PS - "imgbb.com image not found" for the photo of the ripped section, so I am guessing a bit. I presume that the rip is along the top of the pole sleeve?

PPS - I have had a tent pole fail at the bent section at the apex of the arch too - a possible weak point, I suspect.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:59:31, 27/05/20 »
How interesting as I am modifying my little tent at the moment.
Just been to my favourite store [Poundland] and got a tube of what I think is PU adhesive.
Can report back tomorrow about it if you can wait that long.

Also I bought some carbon fibre tubes, pretty cheap as replacements straight sections [they are not very flexible].
May be a good time to investigate some weight saving and improved strength.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

MarkT

« Reply #3 on: 14:25:07, 27/05/20 »
Have reposted picture of ripped material (sorry it's aliasing) but hopefully you can see the material is ripped in several directions, just not one straight rip.

I was hoping that sewing wasn't going to be the answer as me and a needle and thread do not go! Would I need a special needle and thread?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:37:15, 27/05/20 »
Have reposted picture of ripped material (sorry it's aliasing) but hopefully you can see the material is ripped in several directions, just not one straight rip.

I was hoping that sewing wasn't going to be the answer as me and a needle and thread do not go! Would I need a special needle and thread?

I use upholstery thread for tough repairs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003W0Z0GE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any medium sized needle should do the job - just buy a cheap pack of needles and pick which one suits the thread. A small pair of pliers can be handy too for pulling the needle through several layers of fabric.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:43:31, 27/05/20 »
Right, glued up some samples, says an hour to cure on the packet.
Shall see what happens in a little while.
I usually prefer to leave things overnight to cure properly, so may only give them a little wiggle today.

MarkT

« Reply #6 on: 19:51:17, 27/05/20 »
Thanks Richard for your advice, as I said I was hoping not to sew the material but I will consider if patching won't do the job.

Steamy, I'll be interested how good the glue is after an overnights cure.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:49:35, 27/05/20 »
Steamy, I'll be interested how good the glue is after an overnights cure.
so will I. Not looked at it since 4PM.
May have a tug when I get home.
Was hoping to see SpaceX rocket tonight, so parked up on s clifftop.
Launch aborted and it is still light down here.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:31:26, 28/05/20 »
Interesting results from the cheap Poundland adhesive, but not unexpected.

Very good when putting a shock load (tugging in the same plane), but not very good on peel strength.
So for putting a patch over a rip it will be fine, so if you have a rip in the 'tunnel' a pole goes though, it will be fine for that.
What it would not be so good for is repairing where a guy rope attaches to.  The forces here are too variable and some of them will cause peeling.  So glue and stitch in those places.

The interesting part is that it does not seem affected by the fabric coating.  My test pieces where some old waterproof over trousers.
They had a silvered PU coating on the inside and I suspect that the fabric is either nylon or polyester (I think nylon).  Does not seem to make any difference if is is coating to coating, coating to non-coated or non-coated to non-coated.

I have bought, online, before I saw the Poundland product, some McNett's Aquasure shoe repairer, for a tenner a tube.  Be interesting to see if this is any better in peel strength, but is is ten times the price, and price is no guarantee of quality.

I will buy another couple of tubes of the cheap stuff as unopened spares as it will definitely be good enough to get you out a hole.

Just as a quick update, I got my old sewing machine out, watched a YouTube about threading it, threaded it, and have done my first 3 rows of machine sewing ever.
The third row was through the glue line.
Works well.
« Last Edit: 10:39:33, 28/05/20 by SteamyTea »

MarkT

« Reply #9 on: 11:12:41, 28/05/20 »
Thanks Steamy, I think the sewing would be the best idea but cannot sew, well not very well and don't want to risk damaging it more. I will look in my area for sewing/repair shop and see what they say and see if it is able to be sewn. Otherwise I will have to try the patch and glue method and see how good it is.

Thanks Richard and Steamy for responding and trying to help  :)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:15:44, 28/05/20 »
Do what I did.  Buy a second hand machine from a charity shop.  Loose interest in it after initial failure.
Put in loft for a decade.
Then, for a laugh, get it out of loft, play with the setting up (Youtube is your friend), practice on anything old.
Then screw up the important job.

Or buy a new tent.  Probably going to be some good ones second hand after the summer.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:32:15, 29/05/20 »
This is how I would do it.

Stick the patch (red) on over the sleeve (black), making sure that it goes beyond the joint between the sleeve and the tent fabric (green). Then sew along the base of the patch, through both sides of the patch and sleeve, just above the seam between the sleeve and the tent fabric (thread going through fabric marked in blue). That way you do not pierce the waterproofing layer of of the tent. A simple backwards and forwards stitch will do - it doesn't have to look pretty.

Cross section of tent pole sleeve

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy