Author Topic: Summit Slugs & Hiking Etiquette  (Read 17139 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Summit Slugs & Hiking Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: 14:57:56, 13/04/17 »
Met a gentleman today ensconced next to the top of West Mill Tor, can of refreshing beverage in one hand and scotch egg in the other. He looked very comfortable and asked me to take his picture which I was happy to do; before I climbed onto the top rock. Live and let live I say.
« Last Edit: 15:04:57, 13/04/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:22:40, 13/04/17 »
Why didn't you just politely ask them to move to allow you to take the photo?

O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:29:35, 13/04/17 »
Why didn't you just politely ask them to move to allow you to take the photo?  Whilst perhaps a little ignorant, they almost certainly weren't mind readers.....
I was standing there with the camera in my hand for some time, so it was quite obvious that I was waiting to take a photo.  I didn't ask them to move because they looked the type who would have just given me a mouthful of abuse and I didn't think it was worth causing a fuss.

Steve922

« Reply #18 on: 17:40:33, 13/04/17 »
Why didn't you just politely ask them to move to allow you to take the photo?  Whilst perhaps a little ignorant, they almost certainly weren't mind readers.....

Exactly this. Why not just ask them?  I doubt very much if they are deliberately owning the summit (or bookstore, or whatever) they just haven't given it a thought.
   I'm sure you'd have a lot more success than trying to get a yakking party to restore peace to the countryside!

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:13:06, 13/04/17 »
Life really is just too short. Get over it!

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:44:53, 13/04/17 »
The thing that baffled me most was the guy's assertion that the only enjoyable part of the walk was the few "precious moments" at the very summit...that all the rest was an unrewarding trudge.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:11:24, 13/04/17 »
 I would suggest the author of the article applies a "Trump" solution to the problem.Walkers have poles,there are often rocks on the ground.Grow a pair and clear the summit by the use of force! Never let any tinpot,orange clad figure get in the way of that important photo opportunity. ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:03:16, 13/04/17 »
I find one of the simplest ways to get summit slugs out of my summit photo is to ask one of them to take a picture of me on the summit.  As a general rule, the rest of the group obligingly move out of the way for the photo and I get my trophy pic!  A reciprocal offer to take a pic of their group enjoying the day and a bit of chat about the views/weather/route and no harm done, and off I trot to find a sheltered spot for my summit sarnie.

craven50

« Reply #23 on: 23:34:37, 13/04/17 »
"Summit slugs" This amazes me! Arrogance by all posters. Get a life >:(  Just because a group wants to have lunch on a summit? If you are that bothered go to somewhere you will not meet others ;D . Plenty of wilderness in the UK. Just look, rant over :)
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 07:31:13, 14/04/17 »
"Summit slugs" This amazes me! Arrogance by all posters. Get a life >:(  Just because a group wants to have lunch on a summit? If you are that bothered go to somewhere you will not meet others ;D . Plenty of wilderness in the UK. Just look, rant over :)
And we're arrogant?  ;) :)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:42:34, 14/04/17 »
There have been some interesting responses  ;D

And an aggressive and quite rude response  :( Get a life? Get some manners!

Perhaps the people who think that getting a shot of the summit without other folk in the picture is not important are the people who sit on the summits themselves without a thought or care that other people might like to have a bit of summit time? Just because you think it isn't important please think about the people who do think it is important.

When we have asked people to move so we can take a pic we have got an aggressive and unpleasant response so we don't bother anymore. We now have a laugh with the people who hog the summit (or bridge or waterfall) and take our pictures pointing the camera directly at them and it gives us a lot of satisfaction when they start to look uncomfortable. Afterwards we still can't believe that they don't think to move for a few seconds so we can get a photo without them in the frame. It isn't rocket science  :D
Hate will never win

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:02:31, 14/04/17 »
As I have said many times before on this site for me variety is the spice of life, yes there is nothing wrong with a PURE landscape.....BUT.....I also like people and action shots.

So if folks are around me in the hills I just use them as subjects..........

It does not always work....BUT.....often adding an ACTION shot of a person to an average landscape can make it into a comp entry or even winner.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:12:41, 14/04/17 »
That's all fair enough but the point here is surely that the summit is a small area within a much larger one, but that it is generally the aim of those who set off to climb that particular mountain.  Surely people understand that it is often an important part of the enjoyment to allow those who attain the summit to enjoy it as their summit for a few moments.  It is probably less important to anyone to eat lunch etc on the actual summit, an act which denies that moment of enjoyment to others. 

Personally I generally walk solo and often very early so I tend to get quite a lot of summits to myself and I do like some of those views and photos uncluttered.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:39:07, 14/04/17 »

Or very perceptive, it's only a matter of being aware and not being selfish. 

quixoticgeek

« Reply #29 on: 16:58:18, 15/04/17 »

Completely agree. It's up there with climbing a mountain to take a photo only to discover some antisocial person in BRIGHT ORANGE is hiking across the view, or worse yet, has pitched their BRIGHT ORANGE tent in the middle of the landscape.

J
--
Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy