Author Topic: TR - 8th Feb The Langdale Pikes  (Read 6370 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR - 8th Feb The Langdale Pikes
« on: 10:35:08, 10/02/15 »

The weather in the Lakes over the past week or so has seen some of the best winter conditions I can remember and Sunday was no exception. Today we tackled the short in miles but long in ascent round of the Langdale Pikes.

After driving through fog for most of the journey we were pleased that the skies were clear when we arrived in Langdale.

Looking to Crinkle Crags at the head of the valley.

We again took the lesser used path on the west side of Stickle Ghyll, but due to too much chatting and not enough paying attention we missed the branch off to keep with the ghyll. But it only meant a slight diversion and no extra climbing and we also got this view of the Dungeon Ghyll ravine with Harrison Stickle above.

Looking back we realised that the cloud we thought we had left behind was following us along the valley

Stickle Tarn with Pavey Ark above. One of the first places I visited in the Lakes and still one of my favourites.

Three climbers taking the hard route to Harrison Stickle

Sue admires Pavey Ark on our elevenses stop.

We realised that we were in for a real treat as a full blown cloud inversion rolled in. This is looking down over Stickle Tarn from low down on the North Rake.

The sheltered north rake still held quite a bit of snow which made for an exciting climb.

The view from the north rake to the eastern fells with St.Sunday Crag peeping up in the background.

The view from Pavey Ark.
We made very slow progress today as a lot of time was spent just standing and gawping

Next stop Harrison Stickle.

Which looks very popular.

Looking southwards from Harrison Stickle.

Bowfell across the valley. The line of the climbers traverse path is clear to see.

The inversion looks to be over the western lakes beyond Coniston as well

Heading down from Harrison Stickle. Our original plan was to climb Loft Crag then Pike O' Stickle and then walk along to the top of Stake Pass and back along the valley but we realised that we would be waling for two or three miles in the cloud so we headed for Pike O' Stickle first and doubled back to Loft Crag. we wanted to keep on the tops for as long as possible.

Zooming in on what I think might be Pen - Y - ghent

And zooming in on what I'm pretty sure is Skiddaw.

Looking to the north west. Green and Great Gable centre right then Great End to the left and I think the tiny bit of fell visible further left is Scafell Pike.

Bowfell behind the void. From the climb up Pike O' Stickle

Loft Crag with Lingmoor keeping his head above cloud beyond

Same view but this time with Harrison Stickle ( and Anne)

Fantastic if a bit leg wobbling view down the screes of the axe factory

Pike O' Stickle.

Lingmoor is losing the battle with the cloud.

And Wetherlam looks like its being attacked by a wave.

Harrison Stickle is still holding firm.

We reluctantly descend into the mist.

Nearly down now at the end of one of the best days walking I can remember. Thanks for looking O0
« Last Edit: 10:49:30, 10/02/15 by karl h »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - 8th Feb The Langdale Pikes
« Reply #1 on: 12:22:41, 10/02/15 »
As I always say the mountains are at least ten times better in winter than summer, no I'll rephrase that 100 times better. The summer only crowd don't know what they are missin.

Was a toss up whether we went to Langdale or Borrowdale last weekend and opted to go north awesome inversions still buzzin after Sunday.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:51:15, 10/02/15 »
Yeah fantastic inversions coming out of the lakes  O0
Great pictures and write up Karl it looks like you a really good day for your walk all of you  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:10:04, 10/02/15 »
Wonderful pics Karl  O0  We did have a great weekend in the Lakes if only it could always be like that  :)
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:49:14, 10/02/15 »
Fantastic pics  O0  and very interesting to see what it was like above the fog that rolled in (we were walking "into" the fog from Stickle Ghyll car park back to Ambleside on the same day at roughly the same time).

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:04:15, 10/02/15 »
Wonderful pics Karl  O0  We did have a great weekend in the Lakes if only it could always be like that  :)

Its always lovely weather when I go to the lakes, think last time I got wet was back in 2013.

One F

« Reply #6 on: 14:22:49, 10/02/15 »
What a cracking day - and fantastic pictures. Days like that live long in the memory don't they. Think it might be Ingleborough on the zoom in  ;)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:10:38, 10/02/15 »
Stunning photos as always Karl. O0   I'm gonna come up there and join you and Sue one day!  Helen's offered to put me up a few times but as yet, I haven't had the opportunity to accept her hospitality.  Hoping I'll make it this year  8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:52:49, 10/02/15 »
Absolutely brilliant photos Karl, nice write-up too!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:49:36, 10/02/15 »
As I always say the mountains are at least ten times better in winter than summer, no I'll rephrase that 100 times better. The summer only crowd don't know what they are missin.

Cheers MWM you are spot on O0

Yeah fantastic inversions coming out of the lakes  O0
Great pictures and write up Karl it looks like you a really good day for your walk all of you  :)
Thanks Rhino, you're very kind O0

Thanks April ;)  its always like that when I'm around ;D

Fantastic pics  O0  and very interesting to see what it was like above the fog that rolled in (we were walking "into" the fog from Stickle Ghyll car park back to Ambleside on the same day at roughly the same time).

Thanks Mel O0  Bet walking in that fog was freezing

What a cracking day - and fantastic pictures. Days like that live long in the memory don't they. Think it might be Ingleborough on the zoom in  ;)
Cheers Kev. I thought I might be able to see Whernside if it was Ingleborough but you are more than likely right O0

Stunning photos as always Karl. O0   I'm gonna come up there and join you and Sue one day!  Helen's offered to put me up a few times but as yet, I haven't had the opportunity to accept her hospitality.  Hoping I'll make it this year  8)
Thanks Tracey as always you're very kind O0  I have a spare tent that you could borrow ;D

Absolutely brilliant photos Karl, nice write-up too!
Thanks Glyn mate O0

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:54:10, 10/02/15 »
Its always lovely weather when I go to the lakes, think last time I got wet was back in 2013.

Have you ever thought of posting a weather page mwm it could be useful as you track the good weather very good.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Boothy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:23:19, 12/02/15 »
Another great set from a great weekend. 
134/214

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:48:12, 13/02/15 »
Another great set from a great weekend.
Cheers mate O0

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:30:14, 13/02/15 »
Stunning photos Karl
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 00:51:00, 14/02/15 »
Stupid of me to try and say anything - as the others have said it all. But thanks for posting the photos and the write up.
Can't tell you how appreciated they are when sitting here in a foggy Vale of York.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy