Author Topic: First time Lakes visit walks and photo advice please!  (Read 3346 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: First time Lakes visit walks and photo advice please!
« Reply #15 on: 13:29:28, 24/10/18 »

Plenty of photo opportunities along the shores of Ullswater, in addition to the boathouse.

This one is from February, early morning, maybe 2/3 of the way down the west shore. Plenty of places to park.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:39:07, 24/10/18 »
But everything is going to be glorious whatever we do. :)

It looks like it will be sunny over the weekend, I am looking forward to your photos  :)
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

« Reply #17 on: 14:48:15, 24/10/18 »
Plenty of photo opportunities along the shores of Ullswater, in addition to the boathouse.

This one is from February, early morning, maybe 2/3 of the way down the west shore. Plenty of places to park.

There wasn't really any particular reason I wanted to see the boathouse other than I'd seen quite a few photos of it during my research. It's good to know that there is more goodness near by. As I said to April, everything is going to be new and fantastic to us as it's our first visit.

Excellent photo yet again Richard. Always a pleasure.

Petrolhead

« Reply #18 on: 14:51:42, 24/10/18 »
It looks like it will be sunny over the weekend, I am looking forward to your photos  :)

Thanks April. Everything is crossed for the weather. I'm watching it like a hawk! On that subject I've been using mountain-forecast.com for info. Do you have anything better or should I stick with that?

Ready for anything, cold or wet. More extra layers than we need and the full waterproofs will be coming with. The problem is how we're going to fit it all in the tiny tiny boot we have in the car we're taking!

:)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:14:37, 24/10/18 »

..... I've been using mountain-forecast.com for info. Do you have anything better or should I stick with that?

Give MWIS.org.uk a look up. I tend to use them.
All you have to do is get out of your Elan (!!) and do the walking  ;D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:23:36, 24/10/18 »
I've been using mountain-forecast.com for info. Do you have anything better or should I stick with that?

I use mountain-forecast and MWIS that IM has posted about.

I also use these two

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gctyjr5tj#?date=2018-10-24
This is for Patterdale Youth Hostel, you can type in other locations but it doesn't have a full list of fells or places to choose from

I have a look at all four and we put bets on which one is right, sometimes they are slightly different  ;)
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

« Reply #21 on: 21:21:20, 24/10/18 »

Give MWIS.org.uk a look up. I tend to use them.
All you have to do is get out of your Elan (!!) and do the walking  ;D

Thanks a lot IM. Will give them a try.

Elan? I wish! It's an Exige mate  O0

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:29:21, 24/10/18 »
.... It's an Exige mate  O0

You can tell I was influenced by Emma Peel at an impressionable age  :D
It' was never scientific but I used to always view the Wasdale cam - as it gave decent views up onto Gable. Been known to be accurate enough for spotting when snow was likely or to be found on Great End.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Petrolhead

« Reply #23 on: 12:27:52, 25/10/18 »
I use mountain-forecast and MWIS that IM has posted about.

I also use these two

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gctyjr5tj#?date=2018-10-24
This is for Patterdale Youth Hostel, you can type in other locations but it doesn't have a full list of fells or places to choose from

I have a look at all four and we put bets on which one is right, sometimes they are slightly different  ;)

Thanks as always April. We did the same (checking a few places and trying to get an average) for our trip to California recently. It served us well. Hoping the same applies here.

Petrolhead

« Reply #24 on: 12:30:09, 25/10/18 »

You can tell I was influenced by Emma Peel at an impressionable age  :D
It' was never scientific but I used to always view the Wasdale cam - as it gave decent views up onto Gable. Been known to be accurate enough for spotting when snow was likely or to be found on Great End.

We've visited Yosemite a few times and the webcams there have been a huge help. Will make sure we keep an eye on things for the weekend.

As for Miss Rigg, I can only agree. Wholeheartedly!

Petrolhead

« Reply #25 on: 17:19:16, 25/10/18 »
I think there are better things to see around Ullswater than the boathouse near Pooley Bridge. The Patterdale end of Ullswater is one of my favourite places in the Lakes. The view from Arnison Crag, for instance, is pretty special.

If you do go up high at the weekend mind on it is going to be very cold, the wind chill may be minus ten or more on the higher fells, there are strong northerly winds forecast.

April, I've sent you a little PM about Patterdale / Arnison Crag.  O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #26 on: 11:43:29, 30/10/18 »
Wow guys, just wow. What an amazing weekend. Thanks so much to all of you who helped make it just that little bit more amazing.

Due to a late departure, a terrible journey and some other unforeseen issues, we actually only had three days but we did well. I'll put a little report up at some point but I just wanted to say thanks for the help and an extra special thank you to April for lots of sound advice and mostly for making sure we did Arnison Crag. What a wonderful way to finish a fantastic trip.

Here's Mrs PH on our way down from Arnison Crag. Sorry it's so grainy, my phone is terrible in low light. Looks ok though right?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:39:17, 30/10/18 »
I just wanted to say thanks for the help and an extra special thank you to April for lots of sound advice and mostly for making sure we did Arnison Crag. What a wonderful way to finish a fantastic trip.

You are very welcome and I am pleased you enjoyed your trip (apart from the first bit) and I am looking forward to your photos  :)

Love the shot from Arnison Crag. We have camped near that rock  :)
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

« Reply #28 on: 12:20:57, 31/10/18 »
You are very welcome and I am pleased you enjoyed your trip (apart from the first bit) and I am looking forward to your photos  :)

Love the shot from Arnison Crag. We have camped near that rock  :)

Thanks April. It was one of the best spots we visited while we were there. So cool that you camped there. What a magical sight to wake up to!

photonut

« Reply #29 on: 12:59:29, 31/10/18 »
That's a belting photo of Ullswater Petrolhead

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy