Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292304 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #870 on: 19:56:46, 09/10/19 »
Is it not bomb proof as it is?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

taxino8

« Reply #871 on: 20:24:56, 09/10/19 »
Is it not bomb proof as it is?
I’m a cautious type and like to be high up so thought for a little bit of extra weight it would be worth it for peace of mind.
It’s also my birthday next week and my wife is paying!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #872 on: 21:18:15, 09/10/19 »
Ah, NOW I understand... ;)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #873 on: 11:29:06, 13/10/19 »
Walking around Joe Browns in Llanberis yesterday afternoon, eyes watering at the price of modern day gear, especially the Buffalo clothing.
I came across a rather handy folding plastic cup, called the FOLDACUP, thats made in Sweden.

At £3 a go, it was an ideal addition to any ones kit, and its ability to fold over into it self, made it extremely portable.

Ive lost count over the years, especially in hot weather, when some small vessel to collect drinking water would have been handy.

No doubt, this folding cup has been around for ages, but i ve never seen one advertised before, and great value for £3.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #874 on: 20:13:01, 19/10/19 »
Despite the eyelet problem that I had last year, I've just gone and purchased another pair of leather Brasher boots (from Millets in Inverness), different model, this time, the Country Master. Seem pretty well made, with full leather uppers, good soles and a rand all the way around, and I checked that the eyelets were tight! Been wearing them around the house today before venturing forth - fairly pleased with them so far.

Cost £139 - I could have had 15% off if I had bought them online (code AUTUMN), but then I wouldn't have been able to try them on in the shop!

https://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/250717-brasher-mens-country-master-walking-boot-brown.html

Man wae a dug

« Reply #875 on: 21:41:04, 19/10/19 »
richard - 

Are Millets not the same company as Blacks?  If so, you should have been able to use the online code in store. I know the Blacks store where I got my boots gave me the online 20% discount when I asked about it. 
I'd pop back in with the receipt and see if they'll honour the offer, £20's better off in your pocket than theirs. Worst they can do is say no, but I'd be surprised if a bricks n mortar store wouldn't want to keep their customers sweet.

Nice boots, I tried them on myself but unfortunately they weren't for me, pity cos I liked the look of them. O0
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

Maggot

« Reply #876 on: 00:07:14, 20/10/19 »
Despite the eyelet problem that I had last year, I've just gone and purchased another pair of leather Brasher boots (from Millets in Inverness), different model, this time, the Country Master. Seem pretty well made, with full leather uppers, good soles and a rand all the way around, and I checked that the eyelets were tight! Been wearing them around the house today before venturing forth - fairly pleased with them so far.

Cost £139 - I could have had 15% off if I had bought them online (code AUTUMN), but then I wouldn't have been able to try them on in the shop!

https://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/250717-brasher-mens-country-master-walking-boot-brown.html

Millets do a 28 day no quibble returns thing.  If you don't fancy discussing a discount retrospectively with the shop as 'Man' suggests, just take them back tomorrow for a full refund, then go home and order them online, you know they fit so no risk.  Either way saves you £20ish  O0

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #877 on: 10:24:38, 20/10/19 »
Been really splashing out lately, some new underpants, half a dozen channel tent pegs and some rechargeable batteries for my bike lights. After that I think I may need Therapy for weeks.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #878 on: 20:39:22, 20/10/19 »
I'm a bit wary of buying boots on line, even after trying them on in the shop.  I once tried the same make and model of boot on in two different shops (they were Scarpa terras) and one was a lot more comfortable than the other.  I now buy the ones I have walked round the shop in.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #879 on: 09:35:13, 21/10/19 »
Whilst I try them on in the shop and then normally buy them online. unless the store price matches. My latest pair of Berghaus Superlights I bought in Millets, the shop assistant gave me another 15% off so for me I thought it was worth it. I am a size 7, my last pair of Superlights were 7.5 (OK but a bit tight after a whole day walking) but this time I bought size 8s. I always fit in inserts and keep the original inserts on top (plus socks) and will often take out the thinner inserts when on a long hike to allow for fluctuations in how fat my feet feel after a long day.

I decided to check yesterday if my cheap £40 boots from Decathlon leaked so fiiled them up with cold water and checked them this morning. I wore them for a while beforehand and then every day for two weeks last year in the Pyrenees but have not worn them since. Unlike my Saloman Ulta Xs which had at least 5 leak points in each boot (I sent them back) my Decathlon boots only had one tiny leak point in each boot, both at the same place where the boot flexes at my big toe area.

hinch184

« Reply #880 on: 13:34:02, 22/10/19 »
Mountain Equipment Aeon jacket, little older but got it in a stock sale. Replaced my Berg Stormcloud with it, just the pit zips alone ensure i don't run too hot at a slight incline and the proofing on it is really good.

Would like to get the Lhoste but will see how this thing performs in a solid downpour before making that decision.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #881 on: 21:29:25, 25/10/19 »
Bought some new winter walking trousers at Trespass and a couple of pairs of heavy wool socks from Millets.  I have had mixed results with Trespass in the past.  Hopefully these will work out, as they were not that cheep.  They certainly appear well made, taped seams, sealed zips etc.  Most importantly they fit well and I can manover in them.  I have split several pairs of Trespass summer trousers climbing.

Need it to get a bit cooler before I give them a try out.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #882 on: 22:18:54, 25/10/19 »
Bought some new winter walking trousers at Trespass and a couple of pairs of heavy wool socks from Millets.  I have had mixed results with Trespass in the past.  Hopefully these will work out, as they were not that cheep.  They certainly appear well made, taped seams, sealed zips etc.  Most importantly they fit well and I can manover in them.  I have split several pairs of Trespass summer trousers climbing.

Need it to get a bit cooler before I give them a try out.
Have you bought your NZ visa?
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #883 on: 23:42:26, 25/10/19 »
Have you bought your NZ visa?

Yes NZeta and Visa all approved.  Just been chatting with the very helpful desk at Mt Ruapehu ski resort checking what is likely to be open.

Hadrian

« Reply #884 on: 11:54:51, 26/10/19 »
A pair of Berghaus Stormcloud waterproof overtrousers following a soaking on a health walk a couple of weeks ago in Northumberland.
An Osprey Daylite 13L day pack for short hikes where my North Face Borealis is too big.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy