Author Topic: Parking at Wycoller Country Park (Lancs)  (Read 2445 times)

harry_keogh

Parking at Wycoller Country Park (Lancs)
« on: 20:39:45, 15/01/17 »
Hi - very specific question here so I'm not holding out much hope of anyone knowing the answer. In June, I'm planning to attempt the whole of the Pendle Way in 24 hours. Traditionally it starts in Barley or Barrowford, however I'm instead thinking of starting in Wycoller so that I have the best chance of getting to the top of all 3 of Pendles 3 peaks in daylight hours. I know that there's a Pay & Display car park at Wycoller Country Park, but on the Lancashire County Council page, it states 9am until 5pm. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether cars can be left there for longer than that? Is there a gate that they close at night?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Parking at Wycoller Country Park (Lancs)
« Reply #1 on: 20:53:24, 15/01/17 »
Just looking on Google Earth; There's no gate or other impediment apparent. It's possible that the quoted hours are 'charging hours', rather than opening hours. There's also a car park a short distance away at the Pendle atom Panopticon.(It's a different road route though.) Again there doesn't seem to be any exit gate or anything. AND. IIRC - it's free!

harry_keogh

« Reply #2 on: 21:31:27, 15/01/17 »
Thanks! I wasn't expecting such a fast response - I'll check that out now.  O0

craven50

« Reply #3 on: 01:21:45, 16/01/17 »
I know that there's a Pay & Display car park at Wycoller Country Park, but on the Lancashire County Council page, it states 9am until 5pm. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether cars can be left there for longer than that? Is there a gate that they close at night?

Should have no problems there. Although if the regulations have changed i.e. No overnight parking! but will not enforce it hopefully. There is plenty of parking around there albeit not carparks if you look within a mile. Laneshaw Bridge, Cotton Tree ad infinitum.

Can't understand why the traditional starting point is either Barley or Barrowford though! Never was when I did it the year it was first opened. Although Barrowford Heritage centre wasn't there then ;D . I am assuming you mean for the big three: Pendle Hill, Weets and where ? Boulsworth! Has been added as an extension on a looped permissive path since originally setup.
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

harry_keogh

« Reply #4 on: 06:13:37, 16/01/17 »
Yep, those are the three. The walk is supposed to end at Pendle hill, or thereabouts... But as I'm likely to be in a small group of mixed experience, the chances of doing the whole thing in daylight hours are virtually zero, and it would be a shame to miss out on the chance to experience the great views available from the top of Pendle hill. The biggest distance between any 2 of the hills is about 19 miles between weets and Boulsworth, which is why I came up with the start at wycoller plan - going clockwise. I was brought up in Colne but left the area about 20 years ago, so the whole idea of going back and revisiting all these places in a single challenge walk is very appealing.

craven50

« Reply #5 on: 07:05:38, 16/01/17 »
Yep, those are the three. The walk is supposed to end at Pendle hill, or thereabouts... But as I'm likely to be in a small group of mixed experience, the chances of doing the whole thing in daylight hours are virtually zero, and it would be a shame to miss out on the chance to experience the great views available from the top of Pendle hill. The biggest distance between any 2 of the hills is about 19 miles between weets and Boulsworth, which is why I came up with the start at wycoller plan - going clockwise. I was brought up in Colne but left the area about 20 years ago, so the whole idea of going back and revisiting all these places in a single challenge walk is very appealing.

Ha, Didn't realise you would be in a group! So parking for a few cars needed? That penticon or whatever it's official name on Haworth Rd would be ideal. You can just drop down onto the PW from there.
Munros:282   Corbetts:222 Grahams:42   Donalds:9 Hewitts:137 Wainwrights:214
Pennine Way. C2C WHW. SUW Dales Way. Centurian Way. 827 Geocaches.

dinger

« Reply #6 on: 19:37:24, 19/01/17 »
I'm going there midweek next week ive seen a loop I think 9.2  miles think I will have a go . think it goes around the two ogden reservoirs . Hope its clear skys because it can be gloomy around there especially with its history of witchcraft.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy