Author Topic: Doxey Marshes, Stafford  (Read 1299 times)

werringtonwalker

Doxey Marshes, Stafford
« on: 14:30:50, 26/03/17 »
I took advantage of the lovely weather yesterday to go for a stroll at Doxey Marshes on the edge of Stafford.  I pass the Marshes as part of my daily commute - the west coast mainline railway runs straight through the marsh and the M6 is its north-western border - and thought I ought to get a closer look as I always stare longingly out of the train's window in search of birdlife.

Owned by Staffordshire Wildlife Trust (of which I'm a member but it's free and open to all), its 300+ acres of wetland are an absolute joy to walk and - despite the proximity of motorway and railway line - an oasis of peace so close to the heart of our county town (it's accessible from the town centre within a fifteen or twenty minute stroll). 

Has anyone get any similar areas of wonderful walking within the urban sprawl?  

P1070114 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

P1070103 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

P1070067 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

P1070088 by Nick Lee, on Flickr
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Doxey Marshes, Stafford
« Reply #1 on: 19:52:07, 26/03/17 »
Lovely photos Nick....and I liked the rest from your day at the marshes too.  Looks a really nice place to retreat to for a bit of relaxation  O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:51:40, 26/03/17 »
Looks a lovely place, and I especially like the third photo, with the intricate tracery of the branches     :)

Has anyone get any similar areas of wonderful walking within the urban sprawl?

I live in the City of Brighton and Hove, and from my door I go walks high up on the edge of the South Downs and in surprisingly peaceful small woodlands.  And despite the proximity of the A259 I love walking on the greenswards on top of the cliffs to the east of the city, especially when the wild flowers are in bloom. 

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:23:17, 27/03/17 »
Lovely pictures, Werringtonwalker.  O0  It does look very tranquil. I've added it to my list of places to visit.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:28:18, 27/03/17 »
Does the name "Doxey" have some local significance or meaning, I wonder? It just occurred to me that it's the name of the pool on The Roaches too.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:03:21, 28/03/17 »
Looks a nice place, plenty of wildlife O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:31:09, 28/03/17 »
Does the name "Doxey" have some local significance or meaning, I wonder? It just occurred to me that it's the name of the pool on The Roaches too.

Seems to come from the Old English "Dochesig" meaning an island or piece of dry ground in a marsh belonging to a man called Docc.

But then I thought the pool on the Roaches referred to the doxy who lived in it!  :-[

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:57:14, 29/03/17 »

Seems to come from the Old English "Dochesig" meaning an island or piece of dry ground in a marsh belonging to a man called Docc.

But then I thought the pool on the Roaches referred to the doxy who lived in it!  :-[

Ah, interesting - cheers, Penygadair. I see there is a village/suburb of Stafford with the same name, by the marsh and the River Sow, that was in the Domesday Book, and which presumably was built on the dry ground in question.

http://www.doxeyca.org.uk/dm_history.shtml

I know the water spirit Jenny (or Jinny) Greenteeth has been associated with Doxey Pool, as well as many other locations from Lancashire down to Shropshire. I don't know about being a doxy but she was certainly a femme fatale, as far as the folklore has it.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:57:33, 29/03/17 »
I know the water spirit Jenny (or Jinny) Greenteeth has been associated with Doxey Pool, as well as many other locations from Lancashire down to Shropshire. I don't know about being a doxy but she was certainly a femme fatale, as far as the folklore has it.

Be a rare village community that failed to link the attractiveness of a girl likely to be a femme fatale with the common meaning in doxy, especially if there were a few rival pulpits around competing for the chance to spice up the Sunday sermons.

;D

Great photos WW and interesting TR
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

werringtonwalker

« Reply #9 on: 19:02:20, 30/03/17 »

That's the explanation I've seen as well. 

That's the explanation I've seen as well.

Thanks for the kind comments about the photos
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy