Author Topic: A Lake District Dilema  (Read 2970 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: A Lake District Dilema
« Reply #15 on: 16:36:02, 17/01/19 »
The views as you walk across towards the "peak" of Mungrisedale Common are quite nice, if, that is, you don't have to look constantly at ones feet to check they haven't disappeared into the mud.  O0

However, I agree with many others - climbing the Wainwrights has made me seek out areas I do not think I would ever have gone to otherwise, and many of which I will return to time and time again, fitness permitting.  One example which comes to mind is walking from Fellbarrow to Low Fell - the view of Crummock Water and Buttermere and the surrounding fells is, IMHO one of the greatest views in the Lakes.  But - I would have to drive past many more famous names to get there, and maybe would have stopped at one of them were it not for the goal!

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:44:41, 27/01/19 »
Mungrisedale Common is on the Glendermackin Round which bags 5 Wainwrights ...

That reinforces my point. If you wanted to walk from Bannerdale Crags to Blencathra, you wouldn't take an unnecessary diversion over featureless grass to the 'summit' of Mungrisdale Common except to tick it off.
Skip

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:00:49, 27/01/19 »
It doesn’t bother me too much if I don’t get a view from the top. I still count it as an ascent. Some of my most memorable walks have been in appalling visibility. Being in a whiteout being blasted by horizontal snow can make for an epic day ( in the right circumstances).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy