Author Topic: Down sleeping bag advice please?  (Read 7624 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Down sleeping bag advice please?
« Reply #15 on: 13:39:32, 07/09/18 »
The rating rules mention wearing a set of long underwear not fully clothed as you state.

I didn't read the OPs comments as a criticism but rather as his personal findings which in reality, just as your own findings, have to be applied to every individuals requirements for warmth and comfort. Without knowing exactly how an individual sleeps in their bags the wole issue is extremly subjective , except in terms of official ratings, price and weight.
Now what about those Pumkino bags we're being spammed about?.

Completely agree.
But being a little pedantic the EN13537 specification specifies that the test 'dummy' will be clothed in a (quote) 'track-suit'. The test is also conducted with the bag on a foam pad.

The test is pretty much meaningless in actual temperature usage, but it is a good tool for comparing bags from different manufacturers when they have all been subjected to the same criteria.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:47:51, 07/09/18 »

Completely agree.
But being a little pedantic the EN13537 specification specifies that the test 'dummy' will be clothed in a (quote) 'track-suit'. The test is also conducted with the bag on a foam pad.

The test is pretty much meaningless in actual temperature usage, but it is a good tool for comparing bags from different manufacturers when they have all been subjected to the same criteria.

Exactly some it can't be absolute buy can be useful as a relative scale.

I find down bags to be warmer than synthetic bags of the same rating for some reason. I can't explain that.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:58:44, 08/09/18 »
For me, staying warm and comfortable and carrying lightweight stuff involves two items. The first consideration and first purchase for me was to buy a good air filled mattress, in my case a Thermarest Neo Air. I then decided that I would not buy a sleeping bag again. I chose to buy a down sleeping quilt (Rule 1, never get it wet!) which has no back and no hood. I'm very happy that for once in my hiking 'career' I made two good and intergrated decisions. Previously I had a sleeping bag and a mattress which in those days I just bought as separate items. At some point a few years ago my brain told me that to work well, each item needed to be complimentary to each other and work as a single unit. I then realised I had solved my sleeping problem! For me, my quilt and NeoAir are almost perfect in the warmer months. When its colder I just wear long johns, occasionally a thin pair of loose socks, a long sleeved tee shirt and sometimes my warm jacket (not down) as well. Mostly, rather than wearing it I just throw it over the top of my quilt, I've never really worked out which works best for warmth, to wear it, or not to wear it overnight? My experience is that if I've worn the jacket all night and then get out of my tent I don't feel warmer, if I throw it over me and then put it on, I believe I do feel warmer. I've no idea why? If I wear it all night, perhaps its the residue condensation in the jacket fibres perhaps that keep me feeling cold?

Steve922

« Reply #18 on: 17:47:54, 08/09/18 »
Using a 'quilt' do you not feel the drafts from the sides?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:19:36, 08/09/18 »
In my case no, I'm only 5' 6" and I'm fairly slim. If I was taller and weighed more I would think I would. My brand only seems to make one size, whilst other brands offer different sizes.

humansnail

« Reply #20 on: 21:00:38, 10/09/18 »

I have a Rab 500 and roughly speaking have been fine with it from about march until the end of October (mainly in the cheviots and lakes). During early spring and in October I generally "beef it up" by wearing thermal bottoms and top, thick socks and a thin/cheap down jacket or fleece and woolly hat if needs be. Always very toasty when I do this. As has been previously mentioned, I just unzip it when it's hot.

I have been also toying with the idea of getting a lighter bag for summer use and then using the two in combination for winter camps. As the Rab is pretty wide and spacious, my thinking was that if I get a tighter fitting bag I should be able to fit the Rab over the top. I'm not sure how comfy this would be though? Don't think I can really justify shelling out on a full on winter bag to use a handful of times a year.

scottk

« Reply #21 on: 07:25:33, 11/09/18 »
PHD sell liner bags which can be used as very light summer bags or in addition to another bag to add about 10 degrees C. Might be what you are looking for.

Steve922

« Reply #22 on: 22:40:22, 11/09/18 »
Who/what is PHD ?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:56:55, 11/09/18 »
Who/what is PHD ?

They're a quality sleeping bag maker. They're British, very good, but not cheap: https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/sleeping-bags

Cumulus: http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags do some insanely light bags which could be used as liner bags to boost a larger bag.

A friend recommended these for the cheap end of things: http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/highlander-trekker-superlite-travel-sleeping-bag.html - 500g so not terribly heavy and adds a lot more warmth than a fleece liner of the same weight. But whether it would be a lot of use as a summer bag is debatable other than high summer.

humansnail

« Reply #24 on: 22:55:03, 16/09/18 »
Thanks for the links Scott and Neil O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy