Author Topic: Hiking the GR10 in 2015?  (Read 10223 times)

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
Hiking the GR10 in 2015?
« on: 11:00:39, 15/10/14 »
I would really like to attempt to hike the GR10 from Hendaye to Bagnols in 2015, perhaps a July start? For the past three years I've backed out, primarily because I lost confidence in my ability to walk such a long way and more importantly, I could not find anyone to tag along with when I wanted to go. My wife would like me to hike it with others to which I have agreed.

All I am seeking at the moment is to ask if anyone out there might also be interested in tackling this long and I believe demanding route? So expressions of interest, without making any commitment and at liberty to back out at any time, would for me, before the end of this year, be most welcome. Thanks.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Re: Hiking the GR10 in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: 15:01:29, 15/10/14 »
No doubt it's a great route, and one I'd love to have a go at someday. Unfortunately 2015 is fully committed.

Good luck with your plans, though!  O0

By the way, blogger Martin Banfield (Postcard from Timperley) did this last year and met folk on the way.

http://phreerunner.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/saturday-15-june-2013-pyrenees-gr10-day.html

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:39:58, 15/10/14 »
Definitely not if this is your first time trekking in the alps (_I know it is the Pyrenees ) - somewhere like the TMB or GR5 would be better as having a constant flow of trail companions with whom you could communicate.  I suggest you could find it a bit lonely, apart from safety factors, if you do not have reasonable conversational French.  Must be one of the trekking companies that has the GR10 in its programme? So what other alpine treks or walks have you done?

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:34:56, 16/10/14 »
Tour du Mont Blanc whole route, GR5 from Chamonix to near (in sight) Lake Geneva, Walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to above Verbier then back via Tour du Mont Blanc. Plus a couple of others in French Alps about 50km, no specific name as far as I know. All camping except for one night in a refuge.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:32:06, 17/10/14 »
I suspect the GR10 is much less walked than the routes you have done.  I think I would like a companion if I were walking it.  I only know the central area of the Pyrenees which is worth a long stay. For the future, think about the GR54Tour de l'Oisans which stays among high mountains the whole circuit - I think the GR10 tails off at the ends.

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:37:04, 26/12/14 »
If mid-July then there should be plenty of people about, you'd would need to book accommodation well in advance. There is chance I could join you for 3 days, can't promise but I'd try.
I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

AZALDO

« Reply #6 on: 17:56:14, 03/01/15 »
Late spring and early autumn seems to be better for avoiding the summer heat. How about doing it in sections at different times? All the same it is a lovely route. Not sure if I can commit myself to 2 months of walking. I think companion is needed for the safety reason if nothing else. 
"I walk, therefore I am."

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:25:47, 12/01/15 »
Its now 2015, I'll be 70 in April, I've put it off for three years, for me this year is now or never!

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:59:14, 20/01/15 »
Its now 2015, I'll be 70 in April, I've put it off for three years, for me this year is now or never!
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:08:36, 27/01/15 »
I'm still on track to hike the GR10 in July but have not yet decided on what to do about maps? I would like to buy a Harvey's type strip map of the route, although nothing found. I've thought of the normal tour guides and/or maps (Topo or Cicerone) but tour guides do not turn me on. I have looked at the possibility of downloading and printing A4 maps from the internet or buying Topo Guides, tearing out the map pages and then throwing the rest away. It has even crossed my mind, that for this walk, which will be a long one for me, to perhaps consider the purchase of a GPS? Any suggestions please.

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:45:25, 31/01/15 »
I'm still on track to hike the GR10 in July but have not yet decided on what to do about maps? I would like to buy a Harvey's type strip map of the route, although nothing found. I've thought of the normal tour guides and/or maps (Topo or Cicerone) but tour guides do not turn me on. I have looked at the possibility of downloading and printing A4 maps from the internet or buying Topo Guides, tearing out the map pages and then throwing the rest away. It has even crossed my mind, that for this walk, which will be a long one for me, to perhaps consider the purchase of a GPS? Any suggestions please.

for ipad there is an App called Outdoors France, a year subscription is around £15 per year, 1:25000 and 1:50,000 - GR10 is on the 1:25,000 - IMHO a good option if you can print at home before setting out.
Memory Map do an a series of IGN downloads - slightly dated but fine for GR10 - printable - probably the most pricey option
Paper IGN Maps - IMHO also a good option - GR10 well marked. Waterproof versions of IGN are available - have a red strip to identify
GPS - SATMAP do a variety of SD cards - I have 1:50,000 - I keep only for emergency use, GPS is switched off unless I need it in an emergency.

In general the GR10 is very well marked.

My approach to the Pyrenees is belt and braces bearing in mind I go off paths every now and then and in winter:
I print Memory Map sections and laminate and use for navigating.
Carry an IGN and a gps (switched off) in my rucksack as a reserve and for emergency.

I'd suggest that some evenings you'd be able to recharge a gps in accommodation; Gite's may pose some difficultly keeping in mind that lots of people will use in summer and therefore sockets will be in demand; that said some Gite's have twin rooms making socket use easier and also I carry a double extension so I can suggest/offer sharing if beaten to a socket. However, I have not found a refuge that provides charging facilities for gps yet.

I'd suggest keeping a gps for emergencies. Paper maps for normal nav.

Stephen Mac

« Reply #11 on: 16:24:52, 04/03/15 »
My advice is to go for it. The Pyrenees are truly wonderful and give you many options of route etc. I have been three times now and I hope to return again. I have been going in the opposite direction (cause I'm an odd sort  :-\ ) but here are the links to my accounts of the trips.

http://howlingmist.blogspot.ie/2014/06/the-pyrenees-2014-continuing-west-on.html

http://howlingmist.blogspot.ie/2013/06/a-pyrenean-adventure-june-2013.html

http://howlingmist.blogspot.ie/2011/12/pyrenees-hike-december-2011-short-hop.html

I think you will find enough there to whet your appetite. If I can help you with anything don't hesitate to contact me,
                                                                                                             Stephen O0

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:24:35, 04/03/15 »
Thank you all for your very helpful information. I looked around and have paid a years subscription (about £18) to SityTrail to use on my 7" Asus Fonepad Android tablet. It does not work well on an Ipad. I decided on SityTrail because all of the GR routes of France are highlighted in blue in great detail, contours and all. I have also purchased an Anker backup external battery and by testing it I now know it will fully charge my tablet twice with a bit to spare. I'm still in the planning stage, so I am still experimenting with this, that and the other. Underpinning all my thinking is WEIGHT, plus shall I buy new boots or not?

Thanks for your blog descriptions, had a skim of them so far, they look really good and I will have a detailed read of them before the end of the week. Stephen, one question please. Did you bump into any dodgy sheepdogs en route, or bears perhaps?

Reg

Stephen Mac

« Reply #13 on: 18:40:35, 04/03/15 »
Not so far. I sometimes wonder if I would like to see a bear but perhaps not.  There is a lot of information on how to treat dogs on line.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:00:39, 04/03/15 »
Not so far. I sometimes wonder if I would like to see a bear but perhaps not.  There is a lot of information on how to treat dogs on line.

Wouldn't worry about the bears.  There are precious few of them and their whereabouts is fairly well known.  I lived there in bear country for over 5 years and never saw a one. We did have one come through the village one night, knocked 7 bells out of a beehive and left.  Dogs likewise, not that many about but if you come across one, walk round the flock and there is no problem. Only wildlife that ever scared me was a red deer stag that roared close behind me during the rut. Frightened the bejazus out of me - thought it was a bear!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy