Author Topic: [TR] - Winter Walking In Seefeld  (Read 3827 times)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
[TR] - Winter Walking In Seefeld
« on: 19:54:13, 14/03/16 »
We've recently had the opportunity to do a bit of winter walking in Austria. Winter walking is great fun, especially when there are some proper winter conditions to enjoy. Lots of sun, snow, fun, food and drink - and plenty of time to relax too.  :)

This time we chose Seefeld, just a few miles north west of Innsbruck, and had a great week in a resort well geared-up for all kinds on wintery outdoor fun. Links to each of the days below:

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/winter-walking-in-seefeld-arrival-day-1.html

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/winter-walking-in-seefeld-day-2.html

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/winter-walking-in-seefeld-day-3.html

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/winter-walking-in-seefeld-day-4.html

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/winter-walking-in-seefeld-day-5.html

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/winter-walking-in-seefeld-day-6.html

http://amblesandrambles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/winter-walking-in-seefeld-day-7.html

Hope you enjoy!  O0

Cheers

GP

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] - Winter Walking In Seefeld
« Reply #1 on: 19:08:05, 15/03/16 »
Seefeld has one of the largest networks of special loipe trails for xc skis.  Did you not try this?

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:13:17, 15/03/16 »
Seefeld has one of the largest networks of special loipe trails for xc skis.  Did you not try this?

Can't you just say enjoyed the blog and nice photos!!

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:15:34, 15/03/16 »
BTW i enjoyed your blog looked like you had a nice time some lovely building's i liked the barn with implement's attached and your border photo thanks for sharing Glovepuppet

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:18:44, 15/03/16 »
GP, I will read this trip and your going loopy one at lunchtime tomorrow, just catching up with the forum haven't been on for a few days  :)
Hate will never win

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:51:14, 16/03/16 »

We didn't - or the network of snowshoe paths either. We just used the extensive footpath network!

TBH, there is quite a lot to do whatever your preference is - if there wasn't we might've tried other options. But as it was, there was plenty to keep us occupied on foot!  :)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:54:57, 16/03/16 »
BTW i enjoyed your blog looked like you had a nice time

Thanks, ljmeerkat75 - glad you enjoyed - we certainly did!

Overall, I was quite please with the set of photos I took. Not a classic bunch, perhaps, but definitely pretty accurate to what sort of weather we had and what we did and saw. I couldn't pick a favourite, but I particularly liked some of those taken on Day 6.  :)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:57:14, 16/03/16 »
GP, I will read this trip and your going loopy one at lunchtime tomorrow, just catching up with the forum haven't been on for a few days  :)

Yeah, I've been a bit of a stranger myself over the last few weeks and months - just been too busy with work, walking and other stuff!  :D

Anyway, hopefully a few more TRs will come over the spring and summer, and I'm looking forward to reading about other's exploits as well!  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:23:16, 16/03/16 »
I always enjoy your trip reports  :)  Some fab photos, love the day 6 ones with the blue sky, also "cabin amongst the trees" is lovely  O0  I can identify with a lack of snow when you expect more, that has happened a few times in the Lakes this winter. Except for this Saturday when we weren't expecting very much and there was more than we expected  ;D

I think it might be our age group, growing up with both imperial and metric measurements but I use miles to count distance (I convert km into miles in my head) and metres when counting ascent like you do  :)

Hate will never win

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:04:13, 16/03/16 »
Well Seefeld is one of the best known areas in the alps for an extensive network of prepared trails for intrack Nordic skiing, so it does seem odd that someone should go there and just walk (hopefully not on the loipes).  For a future winter snow walking trip can I recommend the Vercors area, a huge plateau with both loipes at the northern end, and many untracked trails further south which would be superb for snow walking.  A couple of bivvy huts for an overnight traverse on skis of the whole plateau which I did some years ago (failed to find one so we spent a very uncomfortable night).  Could be done as a walk of course.  And marvellous in early summer, especially along the top of the cliffs on the eastern side of the plateau.  Alpine walking for people who do not like slogging up long steep mountain trails.  Strongly recommended.  Oh, does not have a chain of coffee shops you would find in Austria.  Really quite wild. Must get there again myself sometime.  I can suggest routes if anyone is interested.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:24:25, 16/03/16 »
Well Seefeld is one of the best known areas in the alps for an extensive network of prepared trails for intrack Nordic skiing, so it does seem odd that someone should go there and just walk

Not odd if you don't like skiing  :) I hate skiing and skating, I have no balance whatsoever and wouldn't want a holiday where I would spend most of the time on my backside  ;D If I was to go there it would be a walking holiday for me too on the "extensive footpath network" that GP mentioned.
Hate will never win

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:53:25, 16/03/16 »
I think it might be our age group, growing up with both imperial and metric measurements but I use miles to count distance (I convert km into miles in my head) and metres when counting ascent like you do  :)

I'm sure it is an age thing, but for some reason I have, like quite a lot of walkers, settled into a miles-for-distance and metres-for-height convention. It just seems so obvious now, especially as most maps have spot heights in metres, but we are more used to miles from driving!  :D

I'm happy using kilometers too, and when we do trips like the Camino where distances on signs, in guides and on maps is in metric, we use and measure on the GPS in k as well.

Then convert to miles ......  ???

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:19:09, 16/03/16 »
we use and measure on the GPS in k as well.

Then convert to miles ......  ???

;D Me too
Hate will never win

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 23:47:11, 16/03/16 »
The point about intrack loipe skiing is that it is in effect walking on skis. A sort of kick-and-glide action. In somewhere like Seefeld the normal summer trails have narrow ski tracks impressed into the snow a few inches apart.  The skis are lightweight, almost no waist, designed to run in the slots, the shoes attached only under the forefoot.  It is a sport everyone can enjoy into very old age.  And also be very demanding if you want to ski fast.  Walking on the tracked snow is not welcomed as it destroys the machined tracks.  Presumably resorts like Seefeld also have walking-only trails.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 06:33:19, 17/03/16 »
Presumably resorts like Seefeld also have walking-only trails.

It does - quite a lot of them.

I've tried nordic skiing before - it was OK, but prefer walking.

BTW, no loipe tracks were hurt during the making of this holiday!  ;D

GP

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy