Author Topic: {TR} Win Hill - the hard(er) way....with a shock en route!  (Read 3964 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
A couple of weeks ago, Desmodegsy & I set off from Heatherdene Car Park on a beautifully sunny and frosty morning.  It was one of those mornings when your nose hurts as you breathe in the crisp chilly air.....but those are the sort of mornings that I love!  8)

From the car park, we walked along part of the Derwent Valley Heritage Way, before crossing the road near the Ladybower Dam and heading to Yorkshire Bridge and the bottom of Parkin Clough.

Parkin Clough is probably the best of the various ways to begin the ascent of Win Hill, especially if you don't mind steep rocky climbs.

The clough can get very muddy and slippery after heavy rain - but the hard frosty ground made the climbing so much easier!

Anyway, on with the photos....

This 'frosty' carved owl sits on a lovely wooden seat in the Heatherdene Car Park....

A fluffed up Robin on the D.V.H.Way, waits patiently for some food.....

The River Derwent from Yorkshire Bridge...

The new footpath sign at the bottom of Parkin Clough.....

The path ahead goes up.......

..and up.....

..and up.....

....and up....

....and up....

..until you finally reach Win Hill Plantation. Even here though, the climbing continues through the trees....

Once out of the trees, the ascent of Win Hill itself begins - but it's nothing compared to what's gone before!....

The view from part way up.....

And another, with Wiseman Hey Clough Plantation in the foreground and Derwent Edge in the far distance....

The trig point on Win Hill, looking very tiny from this angle..... :D

No comment..... :-[

The view from Win Hill, looking towards Lose Hill and the Great Ridge....

The boggy puddles were now thick ice on the path ahead....

The track along Thornhill Brink and Hope Brink.....

...which eventually leads to the course of an old Roman Road. The Eastern flanks of Kinder Scout are to the left of the photo....

This was the shock I mentioned in the thread title: Hope Cross, a symbol to many walkers over the years, without it's Cap stone! Something tells me we'll never find out who stole it.... :(

http://www.derbyshireheritage.co.uk/Menu/Ancient/crosses/Hope-cross.php

After a rest and some lunch at Hope Cross, we headed into the woods....

...passing this cute stone chair along the way....

...and the remains of some old buildings, now covered in moss....

At the bottom of the woods, we joined the track that runs alongside of the Ladybower Reservoir, which was still partly frozen at it's narrowest end........

Reflections, with Crook Hill in the distance....

After walking along the low level track for a while, I decided another climb was needed!  This steep track leads into Wiseman Hey Clough Plantation.....

There's a great view of Crook Hill from the top......

There are a few little streams in the plantation, where the water makes it's way down the hillside and into the reservior....

And finally, the Ladybower Reservoir and it's 'plug hole' near the dam wall.

After walking along the Ladybower Dam, we retraced our steps along the D.V.H.Way and back to the car park.

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for looking

Tracey :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

yeti

• Veteran Member
Very nice TR and photos O0 .
Sadly not a place I've visited yet.
R.I.P. Dave.

di36mg

• Veteran Member
I like Win Hill.. Little hill big views.. Bit like The Cloud near Congleton..

Gutted about Hope Cross.. Lets hope the Edale Cross is safe   :(

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
thats a great spot, part of which I walked on one occasion, although for me it was memorable because while making my way back down from the pike through the plantation onto Parkin Clough I slipped on mud and went AOT, splitting the backside seam on of my trousers, lol. Luckily no folk around to capture the moment.!

Nice pics there Tracey but I cant believe the cross has been stolen!!  >:(
roll on the weekend

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
Great photos and TR Tracy. Me and Lynne did Win Hill a few weeks ago by a slighly easier ascent from Brough and Hope station. Still pretty steep though.

My mind boggles about the theft from the Edale Cross. How and why on earth would someone want to steal something like that? It really beggars belief!  :(

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
lovely pictures and TR,I walked this with Radder a few weeks ago
The cross was there then and the plug hole was completly on show.. had a wee bit on rain since then  ::)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the comments  O0
lol @ Trenchfoot! I'd never come down Parkin Clough after heavy rain, for precisely that reason! ;)

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
Looked like a good day, the pics were lovely  :)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Micky

• Veteran Member
Cracking trip report and pictures Tracy, looks a really nice walk. Perhaps you should organise a meat there.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
Lovely TR and super pics.

Its very sad about the cross. That story has been covered by a good many media outlets, but I'm afraid I feel the same as you, its gone for good.

I hope the culprits hands drop off....

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the comments  O0
lol @ Trenchfoot! I'd never come down Parkin Clough after heavy rain, for precisely that reason! ;)
[/quote

... well, I won't do that again in a hurry!  ::)
roll on the weekend

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
Lovely walk  in a beautiful area . Beggars belief that someone would want to go to all that trouble to take the top off the cross. Just hope it landed on their toes when it dropped .
Great photo's and report ,Tracey . O0
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

Scarface

• Veteran Member
Did this with my little one 3 weeks ago one of my favourite walks.

Great TR and pics  8)
'You only get out what you put in...'

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Thanks all for the additional comments. You're very kind! O0

Micky, I plan to arrange a meet doing a slightly longer version of this route - about 13miles - so look out for it.  Robbo mentioned wanting to do Win Hill at the Xmas meet and if others fancy it too, it'd be rather rude not to!.....arrange it, I mean! :D

rayf52

• Veteran Member
Some great photos Tracy.....love the cold crisp days like that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy