Author Topic: TR: Froggatt, Curbar and White Edges  (Read 4633 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
TR: Froggatt, Curbar and White Edges
« on: 02:41:43, 17/10/15 »
Last weekend I had an increasingly rare opportunity to go for a walk.  A proper walk.  Not just an out of the door after work walk.  A walk that involved packup, a rucksack and boots (though with hindsight the boots weren’t really necessary).  A walk that involved a little planning… and a map!

So Sunday dawned bright and sunny and saw me heading off to the Peak District for a spot of “edge-bagging”.  It was a route taken from a Woodland Trust pamphlet, promising gorgeous Autumnal colours.  Sounded good to me  O0

I parked up at the layby near The Grouse Inn and headed off across the field to the side of it down to Hay Wood:

There were lots of leaves on the ground and it was a pleasant start to the walk, albeit still a bit too close to the noisy traffic on the A625.  This road noise was to carry on a while longer as I dropped down to cross a little brook, only to re-ascend the other side and pop out onto the main road. 

Crossing over that had me wandering up what looks like a private driveway – until you spot the little hidden gate to the left which takes you onto Froggatt Edge.

In a little clearing there is this boulder.  It looks like a profile of a face to me:

Good views were hidden walking through the woodland but it became very peaceful as the traffic noise vanished:

As the woodland ended there is a stone circle to your left:

Continuing on and you start getting some views to your right across the valley:

And then you get onto the edge “proper”.  The path is a good few feet from the true edge of the edge(!) but I chose to walk along the true edge of the edge as much as possible.  Up and down and in and out of the boulders:

Now, somewhere along this path Froggatt Edge morphs into Curbar Edge.  I think it’s here:

I’m willing to be corrected though!

Looking back from the other side of that rise and you can see plenty of folks making the most of a lovely Sunday afternoon:

Spot the rock climbers!:

I think I was a week or two too early for the true Autumn colours as promised but, you can see the potential:

Looking along the rest of Curbar Edge:

As I’m bimbling along these cattle come into view, right on the path.  Never have I seen more dis-interested creatures in all my life!:

There was a family perched on one of the boulders and I could hear one of the girls wailing “I don’t want to walk past the cows”.  I pointed them towards a path through the bracken and a boulder a little ways ahead and said there’s a path through there that avoids them – aim for the boulder.  Even though the bracken path was only about two feet further away from the cattle than the path, the fact they were “hidden” by the bracken seemed to do the trick!

Before long, I dropped down to Curbar Gap car park and spotted a tea van.  Jolly’s tea van.  Jolly good I thought and bought a cuppa and slab of lemon drizzle cake and sat at one of the tables and chairs.  Not the best of views (a car park) but a nice stop for an almost halfway point. 

I got chatting to a couple who were doing the same walk as me but in reverse and it was here I learned of the stags rutting up on Big Moor.  Now, I’ve never seen or heard this before and I was quite excited by the prospect of experiencing this “in the wild”.  The couple told me there were loads of them to the right of the trig point.

Fuelled up on tea and cake I set off out of the back of the car park and up on to what turned out to be the steepest part of the walk onto White Edge.  Passing this curious stone:

Mandatory signpost pic:

Heading up onto White Edge and I was disappointed that my eyes and ears hadn’t been assaulted with rutting stags everywhere  :(   ;D :

Lovely views though  :)

I get to the trig point and it was almost as if someone opened a door.  What a racket  :o  Burbling and bellowing shatters the silence  :D   

Now, the picture isn't brilliant and really doesn't do what I saw and heard any justice whatsoever, but almost dead centre is a stag, and he was having a few “words” with another stag a little further along and to the right.  The other stag (I think) was saying “ha, but I’ve got the girls and you haven’t matey-boy” because what you can’t really see on the picture is about 20 does:

I spent about 20 minutes just standing and watching and listening, awestruck. 

There’s probably stags in this picture too, or I might just have liked the view in the afternoon sunshine!:

All along the edge the burbling and bellowing got louder and I quite expected (hoped) a stag would wander along the path (there was certainly evidence that they do).  Though I’d probably be terrified and leave my own evidence that one did  ;D   I spotted this much less terrifying doe hiding in the undergrowth:

Probably avoiding this fella (yep, another grainy splotch which you’ll have to take my word for when I tell you it’s a stag):

And so to what I think is the Hurkling Stone – and the beginnings of a sunset which reminded me I needed to get a bit of a wiggle-on if I wanted to get to the pub, err, car before it was dark:

A left turn through the wall and it was downhill all the way, still to the sound of honking, burbling and bellowing of stags.  What a fantastic, unexpected experience  :)

Found Tinkerbell’s house in the woodland:

Arriving at the pub had me ordering steak pie and a cuppa and I spent my time waiting for it to arrive watching a fantastic sunset:

As I walked the, oooh, hundred yards back to the layby where my car was parked and changed out of my boots, with the traffic quieter, the sound of the stags STILL at it, was echoing around the valley.  Fantastic  O0

A really lovely, leisurely walk of about 6 miles.  No ankle twinges and no hip pain made the walk all the more pleasurable.

Thanks for reading  :)

Mel

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: Froggatt, Curbar and White Edges
« Reply #1 on: 06:18:32, 17/10/15 »
What a fab report and what an experience to see the stags/does! I've only ever experienced this in Scotland and had no idea they were out and about in the Peaks. You've just helped me decide where to walk this weekend thanks Mel  O0

Mick wmexile

« Reply #2 on: 09:55:32, 17/10/15 »
Must have been a nice experience with the stags. I've saw the deer on White Edge a few times, a couple of years ago but early in the morning (8ish), nothing a few months ago when it was mid afternoon. The foilage colours look good, and as you said they are not quite at the best yet. Nice pics and glad you enjoyed our "playground".
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:29:15, 17/10/15 »
Nice TR Mel O0

Wowza at the sky :o

It's nice up Froggatt edge.

Only been there once but i'm sure picture 8 is where i had a snowball fight last winter with a mutual walking friend ;D
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:52:57, 17/10/15 »
Always find it surprising that such a fine walk along the edges is so close to Sheffield.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:14:50, 17/10/15 »
Always find it surprising that such a fine walk along the edges is so close to Sheffield.

Think it was Ruskin who described Sheffield something like "a muddy painting in a golden frame".

I meant to do Round Sheffield walk in stages sometime this year...it's about 33 (??) miles I think, roughly a circle round Sheffield, but in spite of that includes a big percentage of rural walking.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:45:35, 17/10/15 »
Nice pics Mel :)    I was up on White/Froggat/Curbar edges myself last week and saw/heard the deer.  Sometimes I'm up on the edges by 7/7.30am and the deer are often crossing the path ahead of me, not far from where the trig point is on White Edge.
It's fantastic up there when there's nobody around....just me, the deer and wide open spaces O0

Not always that easy to see them ATM though, as they blend in so well with the Autumn colours of the moorland.

https://www.facebook.com/tracey.wright.1675/media_set?set=a.1071047319580688.1073741873.100000262904616&type=3&pnref=story

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:59:20, 17/10/15 »
Nice tr and pictures Mel, I really enjoyed reading it and it looks a fantastic walk too. Love the sunset picture 😊
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:23:56, 17/10/15 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos Mel   :)   How lucky you were to see the deer   :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:13:03, 18/10/15 »
Great TR and pictures, Mel!  O0

We did the same route one evening over the summer, though the opposite way round to you, returning via White Edge. There were a lot of deer up there then too but we didn't see any stags. We weren't expecting them and it really took us by surprise, it was lovely.

I love the sky in the sunset photo too. And the shots across the moor - a reminder that it's not just the trees that look awesome at this time of year.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:55:41, 18/10/15 »
Well done Mel looks a lovely walk and great pics  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:35:12, 18/10/15 »
What a fab report and what an experience to see the stags/does! I've only ever experienced this in Scotland and had no idea they were out and about in the Peaks. You've just helped me decide where to walk this weekend thanks Mel  O0

Thanks Dizzy.  Have to admit, I assumed Scotland was the place to go to see this "in the wild" so to speak so it was an unexpected delight to experience it nearer to home.  Hope you enjoy your walk and saw some as well  :)

Must have been a nice experience with the stags. I've saw the deer on White Edge a few times, a couple of years ago but early in the morning (8ish), nothing a few months ago when it was mid afternoon. The foilage colours look good, and as you said they are not quite at the best yet. Nice pics and glad you enjoyed our "playground".

Yes, it was Mick. Though the cherry on top of the icing on the cake would have been to see some actually locking horns.  You are lucky to have a lovely "playground" on your doorstep  O0

Nice TR Mel O0

Wowza at the sky :o

It's nice up Froggatt edge.

Only been there once but i'm sure picture 8 is where i had a snowball fight last winter with a mutual walking friend ;D

Cheers Dom.  Ooohhh, now I bet the "edges" look good in winter time with snow and a crisp blue sky.  Did you build a snowman too?  :D

I know.  As I headed up onto White Edge a glance over my right shoulder had me looking at the urban sprawl of Sheffield - so near yet so far away.  Fortunately, a quick turn of the head got rid of that view  ;D

Think it was Ruskin who described Sheffield something like "a muddy painting in a golden frame".

I meant to do Round Sheffield walk in stages sometime this year...it's about 33 (??) miles I think, roughly a circle round Sheffield, but in spite of that includes a big percentage of rural walking.

I think the Peak District could be described as a golden painting in a muddy frame  ;D

I've done a walk around the Bradfield area which mainly followed the Sheffield Country Walk LDP. Lovely rural walk but shame about the backdrop of Sheffield  :(

Nice pics Mel :)    I was up on White/Froggat/Curbar edges myself last week and saw/heard the deer.  Sometimes I'm up on the edges by 7/7.30am and the deer are often crossing the path ahead of me, not far from where the trig point is on White Edge.
It's fantastic up there when there's nobody around....just me, the deer and wide open spaces O0

Not always that easy to see them ATM though, as they blend in so well with the Autumn colours of the moorland.

https://www.facebook.com/tracey.wright.1675/media_set?set=a.1071047319580688.1073741873.100000262904616&type=3&pnref=story

Cheers Tracey.  I think that trig point must be the place to be in deer-speak  ;D   Have to confess, by the time I got up onto White Edge (late afternoon) I only saw a couple of other people - one chap with an uncomfortable looking amount of camera gear wrapped around his person and another chap heading up onto the moors at dusk with a backpack fit for a wild-camp  ;)

Nice pics in your link as well  O0

Nice tr and pictures Mel, I really enjoyed reading it and it looks a fantastic walk too. Love the sunset picture

Cheers Rhino.  It's one of those walks that can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be in terms of walk/scramble/climb (I chose a moderate option of path and clamber around the rocks  :D  )

Enjoyed the TR and photos Mel   :)   How lucky you were to see the deer   :)

Thanks Dovegirl.  I see lots of deer round where I live but never in such numbers and never stags so it was an unexpected bonus  :)

Great TR and pictures, Mel!  O0

We did the same route one evening over the summer, though the opposite way round to you, returning via White Edge. There were a lot of deer up there then too but we didn't see any stags. We weren't expecting them and it really took us by surprise, it was lovely.

I love the sky in the sunset photo too. And the shots across the moor - a reminder that it's not just the trees that look awesome at this time of year.

Thanks adalard.  I'm not sure where stags hide when it's not rutting season to be honest  :-\  but it's always lovely to see deer at any time. I think it was a lucky timing with the low afternoon sunshine across the moor  :)

Well done Mel looks a lovely walk and great pics  O0

Cheers Phil.  It was just what the doctor ordered and exceeded my expectations  :)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:53:54, 18/10/15 »
Mel

Thanks for an excellent TR. This is one of my favourite walks. I was there in July. I have seen the deer in the distance but never heard them. You were very fortunate with the weather and what a brillant sunset. Who needs to go abroad when we have places like this  :)

Lovely photos on your facebook page Tracey. I have never been up there early enough to have the place to my self. Been reliving happy memories of some of the places. Thanks.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:15:10, 18/10/15 »

Cheers Dom.  Ooohhh, now I bet the "edges" look good in winter time with snow and a crisp blue sky.  Did you build a snowman too?  :D

Afraid not. :(    Been decades since i've built a snowman too  ;D 
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:55:46, 19/10/15 »
Really lovely photos Mel, my favourite is the sixth one, in and out of the boulders, what stunning colours  O0  The doe shot is nice too  :)  The sunset is wonderful too.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy