Author Topic: long distance trails in europe  (Read 8455 times)

Cassidy

long distance trails in europe
« on: 23:08:01, 11/04/07 »
Hi everyone,

I am considering a long distance hike somewhere in europe this summer. 

I am very interested in the HRP coast to coast trans-pyrenees route, however, the only guide book I can find is in French (which I can't read).  Is there one in english that anyone knows of?  I have yet to find one - wondering if anyone here has found one? 

Also, can anyone reccommend an alternative to the West Highland Way?  (ie, scottish route that is perhaps as beautiful but less traveled?)

Thanks!

Snowman

Re: long distance trails in europe
« Reply #1 on: 09:30:59, 12/04/07 »
Hi Cassidy,

I didn't do either of the entire routes, but you might like to look at 'Trekking in the Pyrenees' by Douglas Streatfield-James.   I found this absolutely excellent as it is full of sketch maps loaded with useful information that won't be found on the normal maps.   There's also useful information about the villages/hamlets you'll find on the way, i.e. the services you can expect to find.    Only trouble is that some of this info is inevitably out of date.    For example there's a very small place called Bujaruelo on the Spanish side (there's some great photos on the internet) that the book stated had 'all the right buildings', i.e. a gite, a bar a campsite and a shop.     When we got there, intending to stay the rest of the day and night, the whole place was closed for renovation.    This was several years ago so this no longer applies but might elsewhere, as the Spanish are not averse to shutting everything down like this without providing any alternative.

I also used the Rough Guides for information on places to stay in the larger villages.    They're too big to take with you but they do give you and indication of prices, although we found that even the more expensive hotels are only about the same price as an English B&B.

Just a small point, bear in mind when route planning that while the French IGN maps are excellent, the Spanish are ... well not so excellent.    On my last trip the Spanish had brought out a new and improved range, but I'm not sure how extensive it is and I still thought the French maps better.    The French IGN maps are up to OS standards and include GPS data.

S.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:03:09, 12/04/07 »
Snowman your a wealth of info, i bow to your knowledge ;D

If i ever get stuck i know where to come.

Re:- Scottish walks,  How far, what accom, time of year, how many, sorry for the questions but there is a few good walks in Scotland ;)

And Cassidy,  Hello and welcome, great to see some new people ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:24:45, 15/04/07 »
If you dont fancy just doing the WHW you could go for the High west highland way which is follows the WHW, but bags many of the munros on the way. There a guide book about the route not many websites on it thou.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 10:20:27, 16/04/07 »
SZ - just using the forum for what it's intended to do, allow people to provide self-help to each other.    I try not to post on anything I know nothing about, but have had experience in most aspects of walking, i.e. Trekking, LDPs, National parks and of course simple local day walks.

Anyway, you're not exactly a novice yourself are you?    I also learn and get ideas from posts on this forum, so I hope that everybody wins in the end.

Cheers, S.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 02:33:06, 17/04/07 »
Snowman, 

i was'nt being tongue and cheek,

I welcome your advice, specially about the GR10 and 20

did'nt mean no harm mate  :-[

I agree with trying to help others also, thats why any knowledge i have is given with a smile  ;D

The day you stop learning, is the day you stop walking. ;)

Snowman

« Reply #6 on: 12:48:45, 17/04/07 »
SZ - I think you misunderstood me, it was my roundabout way of applauding your contribution to this site.

Anyway, my knowledge of Pyrenean walking is a little limited in that I've never done the whole coast to coast, although I'd love to have the time.    But I did spend a lot of time researching the central area to determine best routes, places to stay etc.    This meant hours of poring over maps (in the pub of course) in order to determine how far you could get, i.e. can I reach the next mountain refuge or (even better) village with a bed to sleep in?    It was still necessary to take a tent though, especially as the weather can be unpredictable, and as I mentioned, even if you have found somewhere you want to stay, you may find nothing there when you arrive.    The Pyrenees have a lot of very small villages, some of which are now deserted.    Where they aren't, I found the people to be wonderfully hospitable, so if  you're used to the indifference of the Spanish at the coastal resorts you'll be pleasantly suprised and the French were great too.

S.

particleman

« Reply #7 on: 18:55:56, 07/10/07 »
Hi Cassidy,

I didn't do either of the entire routes, but you might like to look at 'Trekking in the Pyrenees' by Douglas Streatfield-James.   I found this absolutely excellent as it is full of sketch maps loaded with useful information that won't be found on the normal maps.   T
S.

Hi there

Having completed the Pyrenees GR11 this year I can testify that 'Doug' as I came to call him certainly knows his stuff.  You know when he says 'if you see a stone with yellow markers you have gone to far' and then see the stone that he has actually been there.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:39:16, 07/10/07 »
Hello Particleman

and welcome its great to have your input, aslo well done on your walk, good stuff all round  O0

Snowman

« Reply #9 on: 08:30:07, 10/10/07 »
Hi Particleman,

I too would say well done on the walk, but I'm insanely jealous as one of the Pyrenean GRs is a trip I'd really love to do but won't get the time in the foreseeable future.

By the way you didn't find my sunglasses did you?

S.

particleman

« Reply #10 on: 08:41:10, 10/10/07 »
Hi Snowman

Thanks for that - but sorry no sunglasses.  I did find a thermarest on the the infiernio mountains though. 

More information on a little blog i did:  http://barriegr11.blogspot.com/ [nofollow]

I took the cicerone guide, but it was average in my opinion.  I gained the Douglas Streatfield-James during the walk and found it far more useful and enjoyable.  He talks about history of the region, wildlife and the people something the cicerone guide fails to do.  However he does not cover the entire GR11; he jumps between HRP, GR10 and GR11.

tracey777

« Reply #11 on: 22:41:27, 09/11/07 »
Hi,

I have been researching a long trail for some guests of mine that want to complete the European Long Distance Walking Route E4.

I am more than happy to give you the following info and if you are interested in any shorted walks in my area (Northern Hungary) or riding please let me know or have a look on my website walkinhungary.com

The Countrywide Blue Tour, (Országos Kéktúra, or OKT) is the Hungarian section of the European Long Distance Walking Route E4.  It was the first long distance walking route not only in Hungary but in the whole of Europe.
The total length of the blue tour is 1106 km and the total climb is 26.130 metres on the whole route.
It starts on the top of the Irottkő Mountain (884 m), which stands on the Austrian-Hungarian border and then winds its way through the Northern part of the country coming to a stop at the village of Hollóháza at the Hungarian-Slovakian border.
The Blue Tour gives visitors a chance to view the real Hungary and also some beautiful sights, both natural and man made. There are many forts and castles to see,  lookout towers, three World Heritage Sites (the panorama of Budapest from the hills, the old village of Hollókő and the Stalactite Cave of Aggtelek), also Lake Balaton, the Danube Bend and the spent volcanoes of the Tapolca Basin.

Anyone who completes the blue tour can recieve the Blue tour badge, which is free of charge to a member of the MTSZ. If you are not a member, (I’m guessing you are not) then you can recieve the badge if you pay the production price.  The MTSZ publishes and hands over the badge with a small ceremony. It likes to keep a record of the people, who have completed the Blue Tour. Everybody can obtain the badge, regardless of the nationality.

Also beer is very cheap on Hungary as is wine. Beer apx 40p a glass and wine even less. Basic accommodation can be found for extremely cheap prices, apx 15 GBP per night (per room).

The black line on the map shows the trail.

Good luck!
join me for walking/riding adventures in beautiful Northern Hungary

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:21:45, 10/11/07 »
Looks amazing..............erm  So little time so many walks ?

tracey777

« Reply #13 on: 21:27:23, 16/11/07 »
I totally agree.

Winter is here now in Hungary and we have had snow 3 times already this week....it's not much fun to walk in the cold, do you agree.

My free time seems to pass by so quickly, I wish I had more time to explore, still that looks like one long trail , maybe one day.....................

Tracey
walkinhungary
join me for walking/riding adventures in beautiful Northern Hungary

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy