Author Topic: Alpkit Soloist  (Read 8664 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Alpkit Soloist
« Reply #15 on: 11:41:14, 07/06/19 »
I just had a look at it on the Alpkit site, is it a 'knock off' of the tent that Richard1905 is looking at? I couldn't consider myselfit because I only favour side entrances, it's my age you know! Not so flexible anymore, I need a 'roll in, roll out' door!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:43:35, 07/06/19 »
Is the tent a Chinese 'knock off' like Naturehike tents for example? I only ask because of the 20d, all of Naturehike's are made from this size of material.

My MSR Hubba Hubba Chinese copy has a floor thicker than the MSR Original.

Comparisons :

MSR                            Chinese Copy
Tent Sleeping area ‘footprint’          1270mm x 2130mm                1350mm x 2100mm
‘Porch’ size (2-off)                             760mm                                    700mm
Height                                                 1000mm                                  1000mm
Fly Sheet                                             20D 1200mm HH                   20D 2000mm HH
Floor / Groundsheet                          30D 3000mm HH                   40D 4000mm HH
Weight                                                 1.77kg                                     1.80kg
Pack size                                             460m x 150mm                    470mm x 190mm

Price                                                      £379*                                     £75**

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:48:58, 07/06/19 »
That looks good, I'll have a look, the MSR design is the nearest that I know to my present Marmot tent.

dank86

« Reply #18 on: 11:49:35, 07/06/19 »
Nature hike is a knock off brand, sure they can keeps costs lower because they have no R&D. Yes it's the same style but then that would be like saying all 2 pole dome tents are a knock off.
The likes of nature hike can say something is 40d but it might not be, where if known brands lied that could ruin them, with nature hike you'd shrug and move on.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:00:09, 07/06/19 »
Nature hike is a knock off brand, sure they can keeps costs lower because they have no R&D. Yes it's the same style but then that would be like saying all 2 pole dome tents are a knock off.
The likes of nature hike can say something is 40d but it might not be, where if known brands lied that could ruin them, with nature hike you'd shrug and move on.

My Hubba Hubba copy is actually a 'Wolf Wise' brand.

At 1/5th of the price its worth the 'risk' and when it turns out (with a few simple modifications) to be perfectly functional its a good buy.

They have exemplary customer service.
When I received the tent (next day delivery) I tried erecting it biut one of the pole 'nipple-ends' would not fit thru the 'eye' in the Footprint, or the eye in the tent-tab'.
I contacted (by email) Wolfwise and they told me "very sorry, we will send you a replacement by overnight express"

Next morning and a parcel arrived - I thought "that's a bit big for a pole-end nipple' and when I opened it up it was a complete replacement tent - COMPLETE - poles, tent, footprint, flysheet, guy lines , everything.

I contacted them and asked how they wanted the 1st one returning and they said "keep it for the inconvenience we have caused you".

I located some pole-end nipples on ebay (I think about £2 for 5) so now have 2 fully functioning tents for 1/5th of the price of 1x MSR.

Me, Happy ?

dank86

« Reply #20 on: 12:04:46, 07/06/19 »
Not heard of that brand but brilliant service from them! Sounds like they want to keep their customers happy.

Try doing the with nature hike or 3f ul though, at least with alpkit you know you've got the 3year warranty if something does go wrong.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:07:12, 07/06/19 »
Yes, me too, given a choice between a £300 'well made' tent and a £75 'not so well made tent' of the same design I'd go for the £75 one every time!More beer money to play with!

I also use a Bivi sometimes, with an Alkit Tarp. I've just seen an 'L' shaped Naturehike pyramid tent, help up by a hiking pole, looks just the sort of thing that would work better with my Tarp, but unfortunately, it costs £120!

dank86

« Reply #22 on: 12:11:25, 07/06/19 »
Yep £300 is step but if you need to replace the tent 4 times ....

That's why the alpkit is I think better £125 with the customer care of the £300

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:29:19, 07/06/19 »
I just had a quick look online. The OutdoorEssentials site wants £120 for the Outer tent only, whilst another company is offering it for just over £50. OutdoorEssentials, taking a bit of a liberty?

dank86

« Reply #24 on: 12:34:31, 07/06/19 »
I just had a quick look online. The OutdoorEssentials site wants £120 for the Outer tent only

I think it does come with the inner just had a quick look, but I have seen several nature hike tents for sale outer only and then inner is optional extra (then seam sealing on top)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:12:55, 07/06/19 »

I think it does come with the inner just had a quick look, but I have seen several nature hike tents for sale outer only and then inner is optional extra (then seam sealing on top)

You must have been very unlucky in the purchase of your NatureHike tent, it certainly seems to have coloured your thinking. Which one did you buy ?

In addition to the 'MSR Wolfwise' I also have had a variety of NatureHike tents ( as my tastes / requirements have changed, so has my tent).

All of them have been very well made and ALL have had tape sealing as 'standard'.

My gripe with all of these tents is the quality / length of the supplied pegs, but its no 'biggy' to replace them with better alternatives.

Butchersboy

« Reply #26 on: 13:32:21, 07/06/19 »
Is the tent a Chinese 'knock off' like Naturehike tents for example? I only ask because of the 20d, all of Naturehike's are made from this size of material.
Yes it can be had on AliExpress for £80.
The 20D floor put me off personally.

dank86

« Reply #27 on: 13:43:49, 07/06/19 »
Never had a nature hike tent but was looking at them, and heard so many stories about them I decided to pay a fraction more and go with a known reputable company in case there were any issues

Butchersboy

« Reply #28 on: 13:49:05, 07/06/19 »
Never had a nature hike tent but was looking at them, and heard so many stories about them I decided to pay a fraction more and go with a known reputable company in case there were any issues
I agree, Alpkit will be very good with any problems.
Will be interesting to hear how you get on with it with longterm use

dank86

« Reply #29 on: 13:50:56, 07/06/19 »
Butchersboy, 24 days until I go to the Alps that'll give it a good testing 👍

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy