Author Topic: C2C  (Read 22834 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C
« Reply #60 on: 20:39:03, 03/07/19 »
Sorry to hear about your mishap, sussamb.
   Hope you didn't bend your new poles!
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 21:41:31, 03/07/19 »
Nope  ;D
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 23:31:53, 07/07/19 »
Just got a few days free so am going to stroll from Horton in Ribblesdale up to Keld and then over to St Bees. Might just walk very carefully past the crash site!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 06:16:56, 08/07/19 »
You'll be ok as you'll be going up at that point, it was coming down that got me  O0
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 09:01:03, 08/07/19 »
Sussamb, how is the recovery doing?
It's all uphill from here.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 09:48:22, 08/07/19 »
Good thanks, got a follow up at hospital today but swelling massively reduced and right eye now almost fully open. Real pain is having the neck brace on that limits so much, can't drive for example, but that's due to be reassessed next week  O0
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 15:57:20, 09/07/19 »
I am pleased you are on the mend a bit sussamb  :)

We walked over Scarth Gap yesterday and we did think about you.
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 16:25:04, 09/07/19 »

Is there a Blue Plaque or perhaps a discrete bronze marker there yet?
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 17:18:14, 09/07/19 »

Cheers  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 17:18:46, 09/07/19 »
Is there a Blue Plaque or perhaps a discrete bronze marker there yet?

No but I'll stick one there if I ever return  O0
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 16:18:48, 16/07/19 »
Well it seems to be the season for failures Jon. I set off on Wednesday last for a stroll up the Pennine Way and then across the western half of the C2C. I haven't been too well for a while and completely unpractised but felt the need try something so set off from Stainforth and joined the PW at Horton. The first two days to Hawes were very cloudy; couldn't see a thing on Shunner Fell and nearly came a cropper on the Kisdon Hill rocky descent to Keld. Stayed a couple of nights there and had a great day walking up over to Gunnerside and back via Muker. Getting hot at this point.  The walk to Kirkby was hotter and Sundays trek to Shap hotter still. Walking slower than usual and maybe not enough fluid meant I gradually got some form of heatstroke/exhaustion ( nausea, lack of appetite, dizziness).
Monday morning saw me in quite a bad way, and having packed to head over to Patterdale via Measand; I realised it simply wasn't wise; especially walking solo. The day was boiling hot and some quite hard work ahead. So it was a taxi to Penrith and a train home.
First time I have ever come off a walk before the end and I didn't have the dignity of an accident to excuse the fail. Feel a bit better now but Patterdale to Honister YHA in todays sun would have been a toughie.
It was the right decision but doesn't feel great. Got five days out in the hills I suppose. West Highland Way next month however.
Hope the recovery is progressing
John

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 19:04:21, 16/07/19 »
Must have jinxed you  ;D

Yep, recovery going very well, still have to wear a neck brace until next Friday but then hoping it'll be off and I can get out walking again  O0
Where there's a will ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 17:35:15, 20/07/19 »
Gosh - just catching up with the news after my holiday - bad luck Sussamb - so frustrating to have to finish the walk so early, but glad you're recovering well.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 08:37:40, 21/07/19 »
Yes, wouldn't have minded so much if I'd nearly finished but gutting to have it happen on Day 2  :(

Next year I'm pretty booked up with all sorts of stuff, but aiming for a return trip in 2021  :)
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 18:00:22, 21/07/19 »
Well Sussamb and JohnnyP, what are you like! :) At least you were both out there 'in action' at the time.I get to see the consultant about my hip on Tuesday, however it is not as bad as a friend of mine, who came to grief on his bike yesteray morning.In a group of cyclists, during light drizzlew, he came off. Not dramatic, apparently, and the other expected him to get up and carry on, saying that it wasn;t nothing unusual, just a routine 'Off'.However they soon realised it was more serious. Emergency services etc. He broke his hip and humerous. This afternoon he having hip replacement surgery, followed by more to stabilise his arm on another day.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy