Author Topic: Coast-to-Coast linkup?  (Read 2064 times)

Lola P.

Coast-to-Coast linkup?
« on: 19:03:52, 16/03/19 »
Any ideas for extending a Coast-to-Coast walk (192miles)?  Preferably trails that connect directly to Coast-to-Coast, or that have easy public transport connections to either end of C2C?

Looking to walk total distance including C2C of 400 miles max.  So can add on up to 200 miles.

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Coast-to-Coast linkup?
« Reply #1 on: 19:11:24, 16/03/19 »
Continue down the coast from RHB on the Cleveland Way and then walk the Yorkshire Wolds Way.  As an alternative you could continue down to Filey and pick up the link to Helmsley and then continue on the Cleveland Way back to RHB.

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #2 on: 19:50:51, 16/03/19 »
You could always start from hull and do the yorkshire wolds way(79miles) up to filey, then take the tabular hills walk to helmsley(48miles) and then continue on the cleveland way back round to filey(110miles) and then start your C2C?  O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:02:44, 16/03/19 »
Or start at Oakham in Rutland and walk the Viking Way which ends on the opposite side of the Humber Bridge to where the Yorkshire Wolds Walk starts up to Filey. Then Robin Hoods Bay via the Cleveland Way walk and then over the C2C estate west. Approx 470 miles.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Lola P.

« Reply #4 on: 12:58:09, 22/03/19 »
Great, thanks all for the suggestions!  So, is it correct that there's nothing to link up to on the western coast end?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:02:07, 22/03/19 »
Great, thanks all for the suggestions!  So, is it correct that there's nothing to link up to on the western coast end?
  You mean apart from the England Coast Path?  Turn north and it will take you to Hadrian's Wall and you could go back again.
« Last Edit: 14:05:12, 22/03/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

staggerindragon

« Reply #6 on: 17:59:58, 23/03/19 »
You could turn around and head back on the North of England Way.   ;)

Lola P.

« Reply #7 on: 14:17:31, 24/03/19 »
Well that IS interesting, thanks!  Was not aware of the North of England way.  Is this a less traveled alternative to the C2C?  What is the difference between this and the C2C?  Easier/harder/higher/lower/ ??

staggerindragon

« Reply #8 on: 18:51:47, 24/03/19 »

It runs 20-40 miles(ish) roughly parallel to the C2C but has quite a different character.  It's generally flatter, and you'll be going through more fields.  I can't compare the two past Richmond.

For a good overview, check out this cute blog: http://walkingplaces.co.uk/oldcodgers/c2cx2_plan.php However, I have a feeling it'd actually be easier to do the C2C in reverse than the NOEW.  The LDWA website also has a bit of info.  There's at least one other blog out there, but I can't find the link just now.

If you do decide on it, message me for details about a couple of sticky bits (one obstructionist farmer) and ways to get the guide. 

The NOEW includes some road walking which I would avoid. There's a new guide by different authors pending that uses a different eastern route. I could probably put you in touch with them.

You'll do a lot more navigation in parts (down to pacing at one place), and have the path to yourself for large stretches.

I like Ninthace's Hadrian's idea a lot!

Lola P.

« Reply #9 on: 01:45:57, 25/03/19 »
Ok thanks Staggerindragon for the info, great.  I also like the Hadrian's wall and C2C linkup idea.  It would be a nicely varied trip to keep things interesting.

If I consider a clockwise loop in stages, doing Hadrians wall West to East, and the C2C East to West, there are only three short pieces (2, 4 & 6) I can't figure out.  Anyone have any ideas?

1. Whitehaven to Allonby (on England Coast Path, 22mi)
2. Allonby to Bowness-on-Solway? Looks like the ECP for Allonby to Gretna does not exist yet?
3. Bowness-on-Solway to Wallsend (on Hadrians Wall Path, 84mi)
4. Wallsend to Seaburn? 11-ish miles
5. Seaburn to North Gare Beach (on England Coast path, 34mi)
6.  North Gare Beach to Saltburn-by-the-sea? Is there an ECP section open for this?
7. Saltburn-by-the-sea to Robins Hood Bay (on the Cleveland Way, 27mi)
8. Robins Hood Bay to St Bees Head (on C2C, 184mi)

Lola P.

« Reply #10 on: 13:49:08, 26/03/19 »
Woops, ok let me correct this, there's actually only 2 sections I'm missing for a Hadrian's wall and C2C linkup in case anyone knows:

1. Whitehaven to Allonby (on England Coast Path, 22mi)
2. Allonby to Bowness-on-Solway.  So this is the former Cumbria coastal way [nofollow], right? Looks like the England Coast Path for Allonby to Gretna does not exist yet? Is there an alternative?
3. Bowness-on-Solway to Wallsend (on Hadrians Wall Path, 84mi)
4. Wallsend to Shields Harbor (short walk through town along harbor?)
5. Shields Harbor to Saltburn-by-the-sea (on England Coast Path. The Nat'l Trails map shows a small gap between Seaton/North Gare Beach and the Tees(Newport) bridge in Middlesbrough - is it feasible to road walk this section?)
6. Saltburn-by-the-sea to Robins Hood Bay (on the Cleveland Way, 27mi)
7. Robins Hood Bay to St Bees Head (on C2C, 184mi)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy