Author Topic: TR - Caldera Blanca, Lanzarote  (Read 2658 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
TR - Caldera Blanca, Lanzarote
« on: 18:55:55, 31/01/19 »
Evening all  :)

I just updated the blog with a new trip report on a walk we did in Lanzarote a few weeks back. It was our first time on the island and the first of a few walks we did. It was a fascinating landscape, really quite unique, and we're hoping to go back at some point and explore some more.

Anyway, here's a few pics:

Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor and nature
Caldera Blanca and La Caldereta.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature
Montaña Tenezar

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature
Montaña Roja

Image may contain: bird, outdoor and nature
A Canarian Raven

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, outdoor and nature
Caldera Blanca from its neighbour, Risco Quebrado.

As always, there are more photos and a full write-up at the blog:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2019/01/lanzarote-caldera-blanca.html

Cheers.  :)

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Caldera Blanca, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: 20:30:20, 31/01/19 »
Really enjoyed reading your blog, adalard. excellent photos and very informative.
Weather looked amazing as you'd expect in Lanzarote, and the views from the summit looking around the crater must have been stunning  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:14:03, 31/01/19 »
Enjoyed reading your blog, adalard - what fascinating landscape. Reminded me of a family holiday to Lanzarote several years ago - we didn't walk that far as it was hot and my son was a lot younger. Makes me think that a return visit would be worthwhile.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:51:19, 01/02/19 »
Great stuff - really enjoyed reading that Adalard, thanks for posting.  Never been to Lanzarote - it looks an interesting place to walk.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:54:30, 01/02/19 »
Thanks, all.  :) O0

Weather looked amazing as you'd expect in Lanzarote, and the views from the summit looking around the crater must have been stunning  O0

Yeah, the views from the top were pretty spectacular in all directions. The weather was perfect for me - it was around 21C and there was usually a breeze. I'm always hot when I'm walking so I was glad of that - I reckon it'd probably be too warm for me in the summer.

Makes me think that a return visit would be worthwhile.

Great stuff - really enjoyed reading that Adalard, thanks for posting.  Never been to Lanzarote - it looks an interesting place to walk.

This is the first time we've been so I'm a novice really but I'd definitely recommend it. It seems really geared up to walkers (and cyclists too), with lots of trails. Don't know when but we definitely plan on going back.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:04:48, 01/02/19 »
Very nice photos adalard O0   Reminds me of my holiday on Fuerteventura back in 2014.  Similar volcanic landscape...there's nothing quite like that sort of terrain.  That was actually the first time ever I'd walked abroad! :o

I remember looking down into the crater of Hondo Volcano on Mount Colorada - quite a sight! Did you see any Barbary ground squirrels by any chance?  There were quite a few of them as we walked up the volcano, which seemed quite bizarre given that there was little 'natural' food for them to eat.
It transpired that they were used to being fed by tourists, me included! :D

One was particularly fond of fig rolls.....

***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:06:39, 04/02/19 »
Thanks, Sunnydale.  :)

We were staying in Arrecife so we could see Fuerteventura across the sea - I got a couple of (not very good) zoomed-in pics of the mountains over there, it looked like it'd provide some great hiking.  O0

We didn't see any ground squirrels sadly - I wish we had. They're very cute, look a bit like chipmunks. Aside from one tiny lizard, the only wildlife we saw was birds, much greater variety than I'd expected. I plan on buying a wildlife guide before we go back that I can take out with me walking to aid with IDs.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:16:54, 12/02/19 »
I love Lanzarote. The volcanic landscape is fascinating. Some fabulous photos on your blog. Glad you found my site useful. Thinking of trying Fuerteventura next year. Any recommendations welcome.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy