Author Topic: Cornwall  (Read 16148 times)

Chazmo

Re: Cornwall
« Reply #15 on: 17:23:05, 08/10/08 »
Thanks, folks, for all the great advice.  I received some of it after the fact, but we didn't have that much time to devote to the area, and the walk we took, though not a long one, was very satisfying.  The weather was great and views were as well. 

We walked from Zennor to St. Ives.  Tented next to a nice little cafe in Zennor (can't recall the name right off) where the folks were really nice and helpful, and when the wind blew up and almost blew two tents off, they allowed us to move in to their bunkrooms. 

A couple of broken tent posts and a torn tarp are all we suffered, which was good, considering all the moves we made after that (only the second day of our two-week trek.)

Happy Trails,
Chazmo

Berty Allen

« Reply #16 on: 17:24:09, 08/10/08 »
The whole of Cornwall's coastline is pretty spectacular! i personally would say that the stretch from St Agnes along the coast and past the famous sight of Wheal Coates engine house (as seen on all the post cards) is something special.

Steph79

« Reply #17 on: 10:57:38, 24/10/08 »
You might think I am very spoiled fat hiker and you might be right, but what I love best is to end my walks in Cornwall with a tasty meal at one of the great restaurants by famous chefs like Rick Stein's place in Padstow or Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen restaurant at Watergate Bay.

After all you deserve it after a long walk, right?  ::)

Hide

« Reply #18 on: 02:29:58, 24/01/09 »
I'm lucky enough to live in Lanivet, right in the middle of Cornwal  and halfway point on the Saints way. Cornwal has unlimited walks for every occasion, coastal, woodland and moor land. It is a beautiful place all year round if your prepared for the seasonal weathers.

Although there are many circular walks one of the biggest problems with walking in Cornwall is the lack of public transport for non circular walks. If you are new to the area andd plan to use buses or trains for return trips, make sure you get all the information you need first.

Andrew
God gave us these things, not in tranquility.

jenny_adams

« Reply #19 on: 16:47:59, 03/03/09 »
I adore Cornwall, it's one of my favourite places in the world!

Barleycorn

« Reply #20 on: 16:08:47, 19/03/09 »
My wife & I have holidayed in Cornwall for the past 4yrs, mainly to visit Kirsty's grand parents, but until then i hadn't realised what a gorgeous place it is - it has something for everyone.
We've done the touristy things like Eden, Heligan & Lands end etc. & found a few little gems along the way like the little fish mongers & the Exotic Wood Craftsman in Looe & The Earl of St. Vincent in Egloshayle.
I didn't have too much time for walking last year as Kirsty & I were sorting out our wedding in Bodmin (Lyndhirst? opposite the old railway) but the year before managed quite a good walk:
Wadebridge to Port Isaac where i stopped for an early lunch then west along the coastal path through Port Quin & onto New Polzeath, inland to Rock via Polzeath to catch the last ferry over to Padstow then along the Camel Trail back to Wadebridge, I started at 06:30 & returned at 22:30. I was quite drunk from all the fine ales i had to imbibe along the way :)

Anyhoo, this year i hope to do The Saints Way (or at least some of it) with one nights camp along the way. We're staying at St Issey.
I think Fowey to St Issey, along the Saints Way with one nights camp in the middle somewhere is quite doable.

Do you agree or am i being optimistic?
Can you suggest a good place to camp? On, or near to, The Saints Way (no sites, i want wild).
Can you suggest anything of interest for me to check out along the way?

Thank you kindly in advance, i look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Paul.

p.s
for those of you interested here is a good website - http://www.oliverscornwall.co.uk/ [nofollow]
I'll be putting it to good use ;)

Hide

« Reply #21 on: 01:10:31, 20/03/09 »
Hi Barleycorn,
The saints way is a great two day walk, it shows the real Cornwall away from the tourist sights.
I live at the halfway point of the saints way (Lanivet) Which although has a crude campsite doesn't have anywhere to wildcamp (except my garden). But the ideal place to stop over night and wild camp is Helmen tor which is about 2km south of Lanivet and on the Saints way route. Of course this is illegal here, but often done and I've never known anyone to be moved on from there. There is a water source but I don't recomend it. Best to refil at Lanivet.

Andrew

Barleycorn

« Reply #22 on: 10:24:25, 20/03/09 »
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the post, it's exactly what im looking for O0

I know public transport can be a bit sparse, could you suggest how i can get from St Issey (Wadebridge) to Fowey (or vice verse)?

Paul.

Hide

« Reply #23 on: 12:36:57, 20/03/09 »
Hi Paul,
I'll look into public transport which go from one to the other and get back to you. Depending on business comtments at the time I may be able to pick you up and drive you back.

Andrew

Barleycorn

« Reply #24 on: 14:51:09, 20/03/09 »
Brilliant! Thanks Andrew.
Any help at all would be fantastic & much appreciated.

My wife & I aren't down there until May so there is no great rush.

I look forward to hearing from you, thanks again Andrew.
Paul.

Lucy Rose

« Reply #25 on: 12:36:23, 04/04/09 »
Wow, this is just what I was looking for! My sister and I are looking for a 2 day walk in Cornwall with camping in the middle. Our grandparents live in Mevagissey and we have been to Fowey a few times with them so we could ask them to pick us up at the end of the walk.

What is the name of the campsite in Lanivet? And can anyone suggest a guide or website with the route for the saints way? Or is ir clearly marked as you walk along it?

Thanks!
Lucy

Hide

« Reply #26 on: 02:23:22, 05/04/09 »
Hi Lucy, I'll find out the name and number of the campsite. ( It is a farm all winter and only becomes a tempory campsite in Summer) I'll post the info here.

The saints wat is well marked with both, modern signposts and the original stone crosses. It is also marked on most maps of 1:50000 or larger.

You might find this of interest but not much as far as the walk goes.  http://www.peran.org.uk/Saintsway.htm [nofollow]
Andrew
« Last Edit: 22:20:14, 05/04/09 by Hide »

Barleycorn

« Reply #27 on: 09:39:45, 07/04/09 »
I've had the maps out planning my walk & noticed that a lot of The Saint's Way follows small roads - this will be painful, when loaded up with my pack, as im used to walking on nice soft open grass/moorland.
So i think i will change my walk & camp:
Park at Churchtown (St Breward) & walk out to Garrow Tor or Butter's Tor, for the nights camp, via King Arthur's Downs. In the morning i think i'll head up Brown Willy then around back to the car via Camperdown Farm.
It's a lot shorter walk, which is a bit of a bummer, but it keeps the wife happy ::)

Thanks for your help anyway Andrew, i shall report back to tell everyone how fantastic it was O0

Paul.

Barleycorn

« Reply #28 on: 15:40:23, 26/05/09 »
Well on 12th May i set out on the above walk & wild camp.
I parked at The Old Inn in St Breward where i imbibed a couple of pints of Roughtor ale (4.2% i think) & had a light snack, the Land Lord was kind enough to allow me the use of his carpark for the night.

Arriving at Garrow i found what i was expecting to be a ruin is actually well looked after & seems occupied to some degree - my first thought was "Bothy!" but i didn't try the door just in case. This 'ruin' at Garrow is where i had planned to set camp but with it seemingly being occupied i thought it unwise so headed back to the small line of trees just to the West of Garrow & pitched near the un-named stream which flows into the De Lank. I had a fantastic night.
Leaving camp between 8 & 8:30am (my birthday) i was sitting at the top of Brown Willy by 9:30. The walk was really easy going, not too hilly, soft under foot & well marked / easy to follow. This walk could quite easily be completed in a day, taking in Roughtor aswell, but i was pushed for time - which i despise while out wallking - but it gives me yet another reason to return to Cornwall & have better sniff around this area.

A few photos of this trip can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/meanderthol/ [nofollow]

Now then, before i reached said tree line (on the way out to Garrow) i spotted a small building which is marked on the map (1:25) so went for a sniff around. Peering through the windows i could see a couple of comfi chairs, a table , small wash room & i presume the chairs were facing a fireplace / stove but alas the door was locked & the key nowhere to be found.
There also looks to be very interesting ruins on the edge of Butter's Tor but sadly i had not the time to investigate.

Could anyone out there tell me if there are actually any Bothies in Cornwall?
For those that may not know a Bothy is an open shelter (an un-locked building) in the more remote parts of our country, there for the use of walkers & general outdoorsy type folk & is usually maintained by a charity / group of volunteers. More info can be found at http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/ [nofollow] or http://ukbothies.freeforums.org/ [nofollow]
So if anyone knows of such buildings / shelters / Bothies anywhere in Cornwall i would be very interested to hear about them.

Until next time
Paul S.

ps - Thank you for another wonderful trip Kernow O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy