Author Topic: TR The Cumbria Way from Dalston Sun 29 Dec 19  (Read 1649 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR The Cumbria Way from Dalston Sun 29 Dec 19
« on: 16:54:37, 31/12/19 »
We slept in on Sunday so we were late to get to anywhere. We opted for a short Drive to Dalston 15 minutes from home and where we had stopped yesterday on the way back from doing Carrock Fell. We wanted to see more of the Cumbria Way. We didn't fancy doing any fell walking, the wind was forecast to be as strong as the day before.

The Cumbria Way at Dalston

Crossing the River Caldew

The people here are very friendly and pleasant and we replied hello or good morning to everyone.

View from the white bridge over the river

The water seen here, I assume, worked a mill that is marked on the map

The path goes between some industrial looking buildings and a check on google after the walk says there is still a working mill here

The footpath crossed through a field with these llamas and or alpacas in residence

We hadn't expected to see them and they got a bit too close for comfort!  A google check hasn't made it clearer if they are all llamas or they are alpacas and llamas  :-\

The curious llama/alpaca gang in Dalston 

The path leaves Bridge End through some fields

Mud galore here and our boots were soon thick with it. 

Looking back at the path through the field                                     

It was a glorious day

Carrock Fell and High Pike

The fells were saying "We are over here!"

Rose Castle                         

We walked about 3 and half miles then stopped for some lunch near the river. As we sat the wind picked up and we didnt stop for as long as we wanted.   

Retracing our steps back to Dalston

A footbridge we crossed over twice on the walk, once going an once coming back

There were a few things we weren't looking forward to on our way back; one was the mud and this awkward footbridge.     

Hawksdale Hall

A look back at the dramatic sky 

Back at the alpaca and or llama field     

We didn't cross through the field on the Prow though, we walked along the road instead but we went to say hello as we passed by.   

A Karl's Kut Price Tour deluxe chalet 

In truth, it is far too good to be on a KKPT :D

We had enjoyed the walk, hardly any wind, sunshine but plenty of mud! Our route was Dalston car park - The Cumbria Way path - Bridge End - Hawksdale Hall - half a mile beyond Rose Bridge - return same way. 7 miles with about 80m ascent. We will do a bit more of The Cumbria Way in the future, starting at Rose Bridge.                           

Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: TR The Cumbria Way from Dalston Sun 29 Dec 19
« Reply #1 on: 17:25:27, 31/12/19 »
Lovely write up and pics April.  That "bridge" would have given me the heebie-geebies  ;D

Love the little house too.  I could quite happily live there!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:53:58, 31/12/19 »
Nice pics again Ape,
Was a lovely relaxing stroll in the sun,
thanks for legging it to the other side of the field and leaving me surrounded with those menacing creatures,
I thought It was curtains for me  ;)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:13:41, 31/12/19 »
More great pics A O0

I've read that that part of the Cumbria Way isn't up to much but it looks fine to me.
That hut seems to have a roof so is a bit too posh to qualify for a KKPT luxury accommodation :D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:14:39, 31/12/19 »
Another good ramble and photos, cute llamas and alpacas too  O0

I've read that that part of the Cumbria Way isn't up to much but it looks fine to me.

From the pictures that part looks very pleasant, at least in drier conditions, but many CW walkers heading S-N report stopping the walk at Dalston because of the last part into Carlisle that is reputedly grim.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:17:07, 31/12/19 »
Thanks Mel but beware that little house is on a Karls Kut Price Tour  :o

Beefy, it was your own fault with the llama/alpacas, why did you dawdle? I got out of the field pronto and had no bother  :)

We were heading towards Caldbeck from Dalston and it was a nice walk and although not exciting it was pleasant enough. The llamas and or alpacas were slightly alarming though ;) I have been told the walk toward Carlisle is less nice but we haven't done it yet so I can't comment on it.

Thanks vghikers  :)
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:00:09, 31/12/19 »
Looks a pretty walk April     :)    Love waterside walking

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:11:32, 01/01/20 »
Thanks Dovegirl  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:19:54, 01/01/20 »
Nice pics April.

How did the alpacas and llamas take to Squeaky? I imagine that Tess would cause an upset!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:40:35, 01/01/20 »
For me, the only bit of the Cumbria Way that is easy, easy (some might say boring?) is the section from Dalston to Carlisle. When I did the Cumbria Way a few years ago it was a good section to start on, by the time I got to Dalston from Carlisle I felt 'match fit' to do the rest.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:34:51, 01/01/20 »
I always get muddled up with llamas and alpacas April. We have a field near us with some in and I’m still not sure after about 3 years which they are! I used to think one had a longer neck, but I don’t think thats the case. Llamas are bigger, not much help unless both are present! Also the ears? Alpacas have shorter ears so from your photo of 5 of them the 1st and 3rd could be llamas and the others alpacas. I stand to be corrected on that though  ;D
Enjoyed the photos, Cumbria Way on our to do list at some point.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:55:02, 02/01/20 »
Lovely pics.

Llamas/alpacas/guanacos can be quite curious, I prefer to keep them the other side of a fence.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:08:41, 02/01/20 »
I always get muddled up with llamas and alpacas April. We have a field near us with some in and I’m still not sure after about 3 years which they are! I used to think one had a longer neck, but I don’t think thats the case. Llamas are bigger, not much help unless both are present! Also the ears? Alpacas have shorter ears so from your photo of 5 of them the 1st and 3rd could be llamas and the others alpacas. I stand to be corrected on that though  ;D
Enjoyed the photos, Cumbria Way on our to do list at some point.

Alpacas are woollier than Llamas.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:15:57, 02/01/20 »
 ;D ;D ;D  at the alpaca gang. And the chalet.
Hope you are both well  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:01:10, 02/01/20 »
How did the alpacas and llamas take to Squeaky? I imagine that Tess would cause an upset!

Well one of them got very close to her so beefy made a sharp exit out of the field with her. We think Squeaky was a bit scared of the alpaca/llamas, she hasn't seen one before  ;)

Llamas are bigger, not much help unless both are present! Also the ears? Alpacas have shorter ears so from your photo of 5 of them the 1st and 3rd could be llamas and the others alpacas.

That is what we thought too, but we aren't sure like you  :)

Llamas/alpacas/guanacos can be quite curious, I prefer to keep them the other side of a fence.

;D

I prefer them to cows

Alpacas are woollier than Llamas.

Are they alpacas in my penultimate shot Richard?

Hope you are both well  :)

We are. How very polite. Are you feeling ok?  :D

Happy New Year pleb  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy