Author Topic: Hole in Walking Boot lining  (Read 5673 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Hole in Walking Boot lining
« Reply #15 on: 01:10:18, 02/03/20 »
Altbergs. They’re the best for that country IMHO.  I wasted  a lot of money on other brands over the years but my Tetheras have done hundreds and hundreds of miles in the Lakes, Pennines and Dales. They have been resoled once and are still going.  You have to invest if you want boots that last longer than the laces.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 07:35:37, 02/03/20 »
Are you sure that it is not just fair wear and tear?

I wore out the soles of a pair of boots a few months ago - they lasted me just over a year, during which I must have walked 1,500 miles in them. A bit disappointed, but basically I had worn them out, perhaps due to the fair proportion of road walking that I do. They were a budget boot (Grisport Peaklander). Leather uppers were still reasonably sound though.

I'm well pleased with my latest boots, Brasher Country Masters, leather uppers with a rand, comfortable and light enough for summer use, yet stiff enough for use in the snow and on the rough stuff. Cheap too, from Millets. Have walked a few hundred miles in them so far.

Altberg do a model with a rand, extra defence against the wet, and scuffs - the Tethera, I believe. See Kinky's post below.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:48:56, 02/03/20 »
In 2015 whilst walking the GR10 in France the inner leather across the toes of one of my boots cracked and made the tops of my toes red raw. After a day I found a small shoe shop and bought a cheap pair of trainers and threw the boots away. The comfort was heaven!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:03:59, 02/03/20 »
Altberg do a model with a rand, extra defence against the wet, and scuffs - the Tethera, I believe. See Kinky's post below.

All Altberg's 'normal' range of hiking boots except the Mallerstang have a rand but the Nordkapp and Kisdon models have an extra high rand offering more protection which is particularly useful at preventing scuffs and scrapes to the leather on the front of the toe.

It is now possible to have the standard height rand replaced with the extra high rand on any boot for an extra £20 but this can only be done when having the boots resoled.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boot-fitting/resoling

Standard Height Rand                                                                                                            Extra Height Rand
« Last Edit: 08:38:32, 03/03/20 by kinkyboots »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:30:11, 02/03/20 »
Thank you for the clarification, kinky.

Edit - yes, it was the Nordkapp that I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: 07:58:44, 03/03/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:16:11, 02/03/20 »
Are you sure that it is not just fair wear and tear?

Boots seemed in good nick until walking through a lot of water, and I mean a lot of water!
Feet were dry but boots have taken a hammering.

Looked at boots you recommend, usual problem only go to size 12.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:17:30, 02/03/20 »
In 2015 whilst walking the GR10 in France the inner leather across the toes of one of my boots cracked and made the tops of my toes red raw. After a day I found a small shoe shop and bought a cheap pair of trainers and threw the boots away. The comfort was heaven!

Must admit these Merrells were similar to trainers, that's what they based the design on.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:20:53, 04/03/20 »
Met some more walkers who swear by Altberg walking boots ... 8 years wear, had four pairs!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:43:39, 06/04/20 »
Definitely not a good idea!  ;D
For many walking boots, putting them in the washing machine would indeed be a bad idea.
However, modern lightweight fabric ones it can be OK. I have a pair of inov-8 roclites that frequently get muddy and abused as I use them for running. They go straight in the machine with Tech Wash when I get home (well, I rinse the worst off under a running tap first). This helps to stop the grit working its way through the weave and then trashing the layers below.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:11:10, 08/04/20 »
For many walking boots, putting them in the washing machine would indeed be a bad idea.
However, modern lightweight fabric ones it can be OK. I have a pair of inov-8 roclites that frequently get muddy and abused as I use them for running. They go straight in the machine with Tech Wash when I get home (well, I rinse the worst off under a running tap first). This helps to stop the grit working its way through the weave and then trashing the layers below.

Don't think I've brave enough to try in washing machine, with my luck I'll break the washing machine and trash the boots!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:19:26, 08/04/20 »

Don't think I've brave enough to try in washing machine, with my luck I'll break the washing machine and trash the boots!
I did suggest putting my Paramo Jacket into the washing machine to reproof it.  Then Mrs N suggested hand washing it instead.  Funny how the word "suggest" takes on different nuances of meaning depending on who is doing the suggesting.  If I were to try something like boots, I suspect it would be cold shoulder and tongue for a month or more!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy