Author Topic: listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks or not at all?  (Read 2523 times)

fatmanwalking

I don't have a lot of experience however I'm beginning to think that I'm better off with my own thoughts than listening to any entertainment while I walk.

It seems like I'm able to shout at myself, give words of encouragement, work through life things that are bothering me, etc, etc, to keep me moving and generally quite positive.
So far I'm finding that when I play something instead I find it more of a slog and far less enjoyable than usual.

I'm wondering what works for you all?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks or not at all?
« Reply #1 on: 16:35:54, 02/08/20 »
I never listen to music or other entertainment when walking. Just being alone with the sounds of nature is for me the main motivation for walking. The sound of the birds, the wind, the waves....  Also the best way to declutter your head.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:55:32, 02/08/20 »
I do a bit of both, nearly always have MP3 player with me, to listen to music. But will often not actually use it so I can listen to nature. Parts of my circular walks are often on public roads, so listening to music helps cancel some of that noise.

After a pleasant walk along the riverbank, just listening to nature, the sound of the main road I then have to walk on, almost seems deafening.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:55:51, 02/08/20 »
The thought of listening to music or whatever whilst walking is anathema to me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:56:39, 02/08/20 »
When walking on public roads, best to be aware of approaching traffic!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:59:54, 02/08/20 »
When walking on public roads, best to be aware of approaching traffic!

True, but I am walking on a footpath, also don't have my music that load that it cuts out all background noise. Cyclists on the canal towpaths spring to mind.

Van Morrison

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:06:55, 02/08/20 »
No never, not for me. The more alone and away from it all I can feel the better.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:19:04, 02/08/20 »
No never, not for me. The more alone and away from it all I can feel the better.

The opposite for me, I tend find listening to music "away from it all" a lovely experience. (not at expense of nature, but along side it) Then again I nearly always listen to music. 

Van Morrison

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:20:48, 02/08/20 »
On a long walk I find Radio 4 a good companion.  It offers a degree of intellectual stimulation rather then the mindless cacophony of many other stations, stand fast Classic FM or Radio 3 which can fill the gap otherwise occupied by Woman's Hour.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:23:38, 02/08/20 »
I don’t listen to anything when out walking in the country. In the past I have listened to fast paced music when out walking in my lunch hour for exercise. I then walked in time with the music to help burn as much energy as possible. This was in Aberdeen with some time alongside the river Dee and some in Duthie Park, but a significant amount along roads.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:32:48, 02/08/20 »
I don't even listen to anything on a 3 hour treadmill walk, let alone when I'm outdoors. I like to think.  :)

My wife is the opposite (although I think she likes to think too); she always has music or a podcast playing. She bought herself a pair of bone conduction headphones the other day, and she absolutely loves them. She doesn't wear headphones on our walks together though.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:41:40, 02/08/20 »
I don't wear earphones when walking with other people and I always remove then when I stop for a chat along the way, to do otherwise would be rude.  I just enjoy being informed on things or issues I previously knew little or nothing about.  It gives my brain something to chew and helps the miles pass.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:49:14, 02/08/20 »
I don't wear earphones when walking with other people and I always remove then when I stop for a chat along the way, to do otherwise would be rude.  I just enjoy being informed on things or issues I previously knew little or nothing about.  It gives my brain something to chew and helps the miles pass.

"...helps the miles pass."?

You make walking sound like a chore.  :)  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:51:56, 02/08/20 »
"...helps the miles pass."?

You make walking sound like a chore.  :) ;)
No, it becomes a chore when you make a rod for your own back and beat yourself with it   :D :D
Solvitur Ambulando

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #14 on: 20:27:34, 02/08/20 »
I dont listen to anything other than my surroundings when walking, be it the passing traffic or wildlife depending where i am.  I try to 'escape' from the realms of life when im walking to recharge, the last thing i want to hear is some radio DJ waffling in my ears. 
If on a treadmill in the gym i sometimes put a bit of fast music on rather than listen to the gym full of people grunting as they exercise.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy