Author Topic: Coniston Fells  (Read 718 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Coniston Fells
« on: 21:40:08, 25/04/11 »
With a dull ache in the legs from last weekends hike I decided to bag all the Coniston Fells in one push. Coniston Hall provided the campsite for the weekend and the sun was in full force.

I was set off from the campsite and this added 3 miles to an already big day out in the hills. The route I decided on took in the Wainwright summits of Weatherlam, Swirl How, Great Carrs, Grey Friar, Brim Fell, Coniston Old Man and Dow Crag. The sun played a big part in the day and I was so glad I took a baseball cap with me as I would have burnt to a crisp.

This route is one of my favourites so far in the Lakes and comes highly recommended, I took a slightly different route up to Weatherlam ignoring the guidebook (Walking the Wainwrights) and taking in Kennel Crag which is a very interesting feature to play about on.

Dow Crag and Buck Pike also floated my boat and I will be coming back for a wild camp at either Blind Tarn or the summit of Kennel Crag.

Fitness wise I’m happy with the steady progress I am making and nailed the route in 6 hours dead with plenty to spare in the tank. 16 miles, 4400 feet and 7 Wainwrights, job done.

Pictures on the blog here http://wp.me/p77rL-sx

docpaul

• Veteran Member
Re: Coniston Fells
« Reply #1 on: 21:46:52, 25/04/11 »
 8)  Cool!

I'm not saying how long we took over the round in reverse - and ours was shorter. Mind you, we did climb the Matterhorn en route AND paddled in Levers Water so you could call it a sort of Triathlon really......  :o

I agree though, has to be a favourite area - so much variety and great views.  O0
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Coniston Fells
« Reply #2 on: 22:18:35, 25/04/11 »
Apart from the crappy path that led me down to Coniston, Walna Scar Road  >:(

The Youth Hostel is in a great location, well worth a look  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy