Author Topic: Daypack advice required  (Read 3042 times)

Man wae a dug

Re: Daypack advice required
« Reply #15 on: 08:28:47, 18/09/19 »
Thanks for all the advice folks, it’s much appreciated.

@ Whitstable Dave – I’ve got a Mountain Warehouse soft shell, fantastic wee jacket. Too large (I went a size up as I wanted it baggy) and warm for me to use as a mid-layer though…….another item I’ll need!  I never even thought to look at them, defo worth consideration, if it does the job I’m not fussed about the logo that’s’ stitched on. 😊

@Sussamb – That could maybe work for me. 35 L for day walks and the 45 L for a one night camp. I’m assuming 10 L would give enough space to cram a tent, bag and mat inside?  Certainly one for me to short list.

@Percy – I’ve got a small pack I used for gym (not sure of its size though) unfortunately it’s nowhere near big enough to work for me and my dog. I meant to say I’ll mostly be using public transport, so I’ll need to carry towels etc for the dog as well.
 As this pack wouldn’t be for long treks (I’ll build up to them) I’m not too fussed if I have a little extra room.  When I go for a pack to use for WHW and 2 or 3 nighters etc I’ll defo not be wanting extra space, I’ll be wanting to keep the weight and pack size down. By then I should have a better idea of what kit I actually need and what size pack will take it.

@ninthace -  Yeah, I’m thinking collapsible bowl for water or one of those doggie water bottles with the built in bowl. He can eat his kibble from my hand! Lol  The Kestrel was one of the packs I had looked at before deciding to get advice.

@Dread -  Yep, I made a list of what I reckoned I would need (clothes, food, maps, flask etc and water for both (reckon that’ll be the largest/heaviest item I’ll be carrying); probably take up more space than I realise. I’ll be walking mostly in SW Scotland so even in a heatwave I’ll need to carry waterproofs, arctic expedition spec fleece etc! lol

@Mel – Yep, everyone’s different. I am 6ft + so 35L should be ok. 

Osprey and Lowe seem to be a favoured pack (usually an indication of quality) so I’ll have a closer look at them, Deuter and Mountain Warehouse and then draw up a wee shortlist to decide what’s best.  Thanks again. 😊
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:31:24, 18/09/19 »
If you want one daysack to do everything it might be as well to go towards the 35 rather than 25litre sack.  As Sussamb says, you don't have to fill it.
One way forward might be to gather up all the stuff you usually take on a walk, bearing in mind that we are heading towards winter when you tend to carry more and bulkier stuff, and take it to an outdoor shop and see what size you need to fit it all in.  They are usually very helpful about encouraging you to walk round the shop with a load to see how comfortable it is, fiddling with the straps so it fits better and so on.
I have an embarrassing collection of packs.  One is an Osprey talon 33 which is nice and light for day walks but isn't particularly comfortable when full or heavy, so I don't use it much. It's main advantage seems to be that it fits into airline cabin baggage (even Ryanair) which means someone has usually borrowed it.  But it does point up how important it is to try on a pack when it's full of stuff.
So I end up with the little Lowe Alpine 20 (or thereabouts) in summer and a Deuter 35 in winter.  The only thing I have against the Deuter is that it is quite heavy even when empty, but I find it worth trading weight for comfort.
One feature I insist on, because I am paranoid about losing the carkeys, is a pocket with a clip to fasten them on.  Then the keys are always there and I don't have those moments of increasing panic going through every pocket of pack and clothing looking for them.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:55:02, 18/09/19 »
I have a friend who uses a 38 litre Osprey for day walks and short camping trips; I think the Kestrel. He loves it, but does have to strap his tent onto the outside.

For year round day walks on the hills, I would go for something around the 30 litre size.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:56:38, 18/09/19 »
but I find it worth trading weight for comfort.

^^ this. Always try on a rusksack before you buy, preferably with a bit of weight in it. One instance where buying from a shop trumps the internet (the other being boots).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:01:22, 18/09/19 »
Too large (I went a size up as I wanted it baggy) and warm for me to use as a mid-layer though…….another item I’ll need!  I never even thought to look at them, defo worth consideration, if it does the job I’m not fussed about the logo that’s’ stitched on. 😊

Just get a cheapo thin fleece. Definitely not worth spending much on mid layers!

Yeah, I’m thinking collapsible bowl for water or one of those doggie water bottles with the built in bowl. He can eat his kibble from my hand! Lol  The Kestrel was one of the packs I had looked at before deciding to get advice.

I just cut the bottom 2" out of a 2 litre plastic milk bottle. Dead light, free and crumples down fairly flat.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:20:07, 18/09/19 »
Just been looking at the Kestrel online - fancy one myself - something else for the ever growing wish list!  :D

Those little pockets on the hip belt look really useful; a nice touch.
« Last Edit: 09:24:49, 18/09/19 by richardh1905 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:41:08, 18/09/19 »
Anyone suggesting you need a 35-45 litre pack for day walks is a nutter
Actually I prefer to think of myself as mildly eccentric.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:49:29, 18/09/19 »
Those little pockets on the hip belt look really useful; a nice touch.

They are, my Lowe Alpine packs have them too, quite small and only on one side of my older 35L but the newer 35:45L has large ones on both sides.
Where there's a will ...

Man wae a dug

« Reply #23 on: 11:13:01, 18/09/19 »
@ Islandplodder -  I'm in Scotland so even though I might not use it I reckon the summer kit and winter kit that I'll carry are going to be remarkably similar! lol

I haven't got all my kit gathered together as yet, just my waterproof layer, trousers and boots so far; I've got wicking sports tops and a couple of long sleeve base layers (one poly, one merino) that I can use for now until I work out which I prefer. Yep, I'd happily trade in a bit of weight for comfort but I'm restricted to an internet purchase on this one, I daresay I could send it back if it wasn't suitable. 
I reckon if I got one with a sturdier back and good padded straps I should be ok though. I'll bear in mind to make sure the straps are adjustable though. Thanks.

@richard1905 - If I could get away with strapping a tent to the outside for short one night camps to begin with I'd be happy enough doing so, but reading here I'm thinking 38L might be a tad big just for walks (don't mind my pack not being full, but reckon if it was half empty it would be an annoyance).
The mid layer is going to entail a bit of thinking on my part, I'll need it as a top layer for really cold dry days (I'll happily work outdoors in winter in a t-shirt but need to wrap up when I stop) but wearing it under my shell layer while doing anything strenuous will boil me alive! I reckon it'll spend more time in the pack than on my back so I'm not sure if I'll go fleece or down here......that's another thread that one. lol
Good idea on the dog bowl.
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:43:35, 18/09/19 »
Hi again Man wae a dug.

Just a thought about the mid layer...

One of my favourite bits of gear is a Berghaus Ghlas softshell jacket. Okay, I know it's not what most might call a mid layer, so I'll explain.

It's really a combination, with tough, windproof and water resistant front, back and outside sleeving, but thinner, stretchy, breathable sides and inside sleeving. The side pockets are long and have a mesh lining so they work very well as vents. (And it doesn't have an unnecessary hood.)

I tend to wear a very thin base layer and, when needed, a Paclite top. This is the combination I use more often than any other because it copes well over a wide weather range.

Here's the description from Cotswold Outdoor:
The versatile jack-of-all trades is what softshell is all about: a tough combination of water repellency, windproofing, warmth and freedom of movement.

While some may be quite activity-specific, the midweight Ghlas Softshell Jacket really stays true to the softshell concept, making a great multi-activity all-rounder.

Durable, windproof fabric makes up the majority of the jacket, with stretch panels under the arms and down the sides allowing you move easily, whether you're reaching for the next hold or reaching out to cross a stile. A durable water repellent finish keeps off all but the worst of the rain.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:58:42, 18/09/19 »
If I go out for the day I just use my small cycling rucksack. I have looked at other rucksacks but to date have never purchased anything. What strikes me though is when I watch people buying small rucksacks I rarely see anyone buying one where they ensure that the belt fits around their hips. People tend to try the rucksack on, pull the straps tight on the shoulder and do not seem to notice that the waist strap is then either redundant or if they attempt to secure it, the buckle can snap into place, sometimes as high as the lower part of their sturnum.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:14:08, 18/09/19 »
I wouldn't worry too much about the pack flapping about.  The Osprey has compression straps to keep it tight.  Typically with two of us I will start with the top of the pack quite empty as we set off wearing more layers.  When we warm up, the outer and mid layers go in the pack.  I have never had an issue with a flapping pack.  The bottom of the pack has the usual stuff that lives in there all the time as it is needed for every trip.
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:14:20, 18/09/19 »
I have a 25 litre pack and can get 'two-nights' stuff into it (Summer time with minimal clothes)

Weight just under 10kgs (inc Rucksack)

Rucksack Rain Cover
Cloud-Up2 (Frome) 2-Man Tent (C/W Footprint)
Hikenture Inflatable Mattress (Inc Bag)
Vango sleeping bag (28cm x 22cm) Inc bag
Titanium Frying Pan, Cooking Pot  & Contents
Gas stove
Gas cartridge
300ml Insulated Mug & Lid
2-Day Ration Bag (4 meals per day) (~ 2000Kcal per day)
2x Pack Dextro Energy Tablets
8x 'Brew Bags (Tea, Milk Powder, Sweeteners) Inside Mug
Poncho
Change of Pants & Socks
Wash Kit
1st Aid Kit
Roll Zinc Oxide Tape (10mts x 2.5cm)
Folding Trowel (Inc Toilet Paper)
30,000 Ma Solar Power Bank
Headlight
Torch
USB Light
"Bits & Bobs" (2x Zip Pullers, 2x Spring Grips, 2mts Para Cord)
Charger Leads
500ml Bottle Water (x 2)
Water Filter Pump-Kit & Contents

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:37:28, 18/09/19 »
I wouldn't worry too much about the pack flapping about.  The Osprey has compression straps to keep it tight.  Typically with two of us I will start with the top of the pack quite empty as we set off wearing more layers.  When we warm up, the outer and mid layers go in the pack.  I have never had an issue with a flapping pack.  The bottom of the pack has the usual stuff that lives in there all the time as it is needed for every trip.

Agreed  O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:53:48, 18/09/19 »

Agreed  O0

+1

The compression straps will take up any slack, Man wae a dug.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy