Author Topic: My Pack Weight for an overnight Wild camp 10.4kg  (Read 2026 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Finally got around to weighing my pack for an overnighter wild camp.  10.4kg without food/water - Granted not the lightest pack weight but even with the addition of food and water one I'm comfortable carrying and more importantantly didn't cost a second mortgage to achieve.  Kit list below if anyone's interested.

Sleeping/Shelter/Cooking/Carrying.

NatureHike Down Quilt.
S2S Thermolite bag liner.
Thermarest Neoair Topo Luxe sleeping mat.
Vango Cairngorm 200 tent.
Jetboil minimo, pan support and Summit skillet.
Deuter Guide 35+ Rucksack.

Additional items.

Montane Hydrogen Extreme Smock.
Montane Alpine Pro Jacket.
Montane Ajax Pants.
Spare tshirt, boxers, socks
Icebreaker Merino top and bottoms.
First Aid kit.
Petzl Head Torch.
Sawyer Water Filter.
Personal Hygiene kit.

If I add food and water it probably comes in at an all up weight of around 12.5kg.
« Last Edit: 11:42:29, 10/05/20 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: My Pack Weight for an overnight Wild camp 10.4kg
« Reply #1 on: 12:32:53, 10/05/20 »
All seams reasonable, I  think you'll find to get the weight much lower you'll either have to spend a lot or use less robust gear. Doing the latter risks getting into the stupid light catagory.

Really if you're comfortable with it then it's fine. It's not having loads of shinny swag that matters, it's the adventure it takes you to.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:36:40, 10/05/20 »
It's not having loads of shinny swag that matters, it's the adventure it takes you to.

:) Exactly  :)
Hate will never win

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:44:35, 10/05/20 »
All seams reasonable, I  think you'll find to get the weight much lower you'll either have to spend a lot or use less robust gear. Doing the latter risks getting into the stupid light catagory.

Really if you're comfortable with it then it's fine. It's not having loads of shinny swag that matters, it's the adventure it takes you to.
Thanks, I 'think' I've struck a decent balance between expense/weight/robustness/comfort with some of my purchases and utilising the equipment I already had.  I could probably do with a slightly bigger pack in the future and if I do I'll probably look at a lighterweight one but I love my Deuter, it's like an old worn in sweatshirt, just so comfy to put on.  I've done the whole bivvy thing, hooped and none hooped, I've done the tarp too and to be quite honest, I like a bit more comfort nowadays.  Ultralight to me has always represented minimilism and a certain lack of comfort , doesn't mean it's uncomfortable, just a little less comfortable than I would like  ;D ,  it's a fine balance.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:39:47, 10/05/20 »
Not dissimilar to what I carry, although I ditch the stove outwith winter.

It's not having loads of shinny swag that matters, it's the adventure it takes you to.

^ this is what counts.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:09:01, 10/05/20 »
If you work at it you should be able to shave at least a kilo off that 10.4kg, and your walks will be more pleasurable for it. In my case though, I guess I'm lucky that to start off with my ancient and still serviceable 75L pack is a great deal lighter than all modern ones.

Go through your list item by item (are you sure you included every single little thing, they all weigh something) and look online to see if there are any lighter alternatives that aren't going to break the bank. Even if you have no intention of replacing an item yet, make a note of what you've found for future reference, for you don't want all that searching going to waste.

I ought to stick this in the 'How To Help The Hours Pass By' thread  :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:12:36, 10/05/20 »
I would be very happy with that weight and wouldn’t be bothered trying to shave small amounts off. It is better to be comfortable in my opinion. An extra kilo on the back is pretty insignificant.

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 16:46:32, 10/05/20 »
Mine comes in at around 17kg but that includes two bottles of wine (in Platypus wine carriers), wine gums, nuts and fresh milk for my breakfast.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:09:32, 10/05/20 »
I've tried and tried to lower my carry weight and I've really worked on only carrying what I will actually use. I don't cook when hiking so I have no stove etc to worry about and nowadays I tend to use my Bivi and Tarp more, rather than my tent. My rucksack (an Exos 48) carry-weight on my last trip, before adding water to my Scource bladder and stocking up with 'finger foods,' was just over 9kg. That was only the second time I've managed to get below 10kg.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:49:20, 10/05/20 »
I have packed mine up with just abut everything I would need for a long trip, so less than 10 kg of kit, plus the mass of the rucksack.
Seemed heavy when I tried it on.
Could not quite get everything in my 35 litre, but got spare room in the 50 lt.  Which is always dangerous.
I really need to get some lighter cooking stuff as all that wrights 1.13 kg.  I would rather have a lighter pan and carry more gas.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy