Author Topic: Cleveland Way  (Read 8894 times)

ogy

Re: Cleveland way feeling
« Reply #15 on: 17:19:37, 20/01/08 »
It would just be interesting to hear what people think on a morning, waking up aching and blistered and having to tab on for another 10 hours or so then to do it again tomorrow

I know what you mean about the weather, I camped near lord stones last week and the weather was horrible, however crap I feel after waking up a nice cup of tea always sets me on a good path :)

Ogy

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:48:51, 20/01/08 »

It would just be interesting to hear what people think on a morning, waking up aching and blistered and having to tab on for another 10 hours or so then to do it again tomorrow

Sometimes,when my feet have been badly blistered,its been a feeling of dread but that soon wears off when I get going.I think the worst thing is trying to prise swollen, blistered feet into boots,Now that does hurt! I must admit that these days its become more of a routine where I go through the motions without thinking too much.

Snowman

« Reply #17 on: 02:36:42, 26/01/08 »
To be honest, if the weather get's really bad and stays that way, I just abandon the whole thing.    I mean it's not fun is it?

There are few places in Europe, and none that I know of in England and Wales (not sure about Scotland) where you can't get the hell out and find a pub to while away the hours.

The last time I hit this problem was when we'd spent a day walking in rain ranging from torrential to drizzle, and then woke up next morning, facing an 18 mile mountain walk where you couldn't see a thing above 200m.    So what was the point?    18 'beautiful' miles where all you could see was the rocky trail in front of you.   A wonderful exercise in navigation, but fun?

As to the original question, the first night is always the worst when camping.   I never sleep well, but after that like a baby.   I've never had a mindset that thinks in terms of 'how many more days of this?'.    I've always taken each day at at time, and just worried about the trials of the day.   After all, if you don't make 'today', then there's not a lot of point thinking about tomorrow is there?

S.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:07:15, 26/01/08 »
I dont think Ive ever dreaded the next day's walking, although there's been times when Ive been plodding along swearing that I'd never do anything like this again!  I actually enjoy duff weather most of the time, although I think I'd be taking foul weather alternatives rather than struggling over a high route.... and there is definately something to be said for holing up in a boozer if you can spare the time.
 Its OK for me, I dont have a job to get back and my kids are grown up to but I appreciate that many people have to squeeze these walks in between work and family commitments, so having a day off might mean failing to complete a walk, which is a [censored] if you've had to negotiate like mad with all and sundry to get to do the thing in the first place. 
But its no shame to abandon something because of duff weather or nasty blisters or whatever. I think this just adds a bit more to your experience and next time you try something similar, you might be able to use that knowledge to good effect.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy