Author Topic: Crib Goch 2006  (Read 2846 times)

wellerchap

Crib Goch 2006
« on: 10:12:04, 13/01/08 »
The only time I've done this...my mate had done it a couple of weeks earlier & did the entire horseshoe on his own.  I found the anticipation worse than the actual ridge, so doing it again could well be quite "comfortable", if I can use such a casual word for the ridge?!
Ascending Crib Goch I found myself nervously leaning forwards & helping myself along with both hands, but people were flying up past me bolt upright! One guy even stopped & encouraged me to go up in that manner, but being alien to me I soon reverted back for the steepr parts of the walk.
Here I am, on a ledge two thirds of the way up.

and turning, from the same point, the ridge to the summit

We had a snack & took in the classic view of the ridge from Crib Goch's summit before crossing it.

We only had fleeting glimpses of the higher points most of the day due to cloud...here, Snowdon show's itself.

Here, from the col after the ridge, the mountain rescue helicopter adds scale to the whole vista.

A scramble up & over Garnedd Ugain and onto Snowdon with the tourists. We were both too bushed to do the rest of the horseshoe, se descended the Pyg Track, giving great views from within the horseshoe.

As we got towards the car, the rain came & made for this view down the Llanberis Pass.

Once finished, we drove round the corner to have a look at Tryffan (and promised to knock that off next - so far still un-conquered!)
I took this shot over Lyn Ogwen

« Last Edit: 10:26:15, 13/01/08 by wellerchap »

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Crib Goch 2006
« Reply #1 on: 18:46:18, 13/01/08 »
Some really nice pics there.... 
Pity you didnt finish it off (or maybe not, in view of the rain).
Still, it won't go anywhere will it? (I mean it'll still be there another time..... )

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #2 on: 21:40:05, 13/01/08 »
Well if we are all getting our Crib Goch pics out...
:)

Here's a couple of me done as part of the horseshoe.  I second wellerchap, the anticipation is worse than the ridge itself, although the wind strength does play a part in how comfortable it is, even in summer.
Any Moel's a goal.

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #3 on: 21:43:06, 13/01/08 »
Sorry to piggyback the thread...  :-\
Any Moel's a goal.

marmot

« Reply #4 on: 22:27:35, 13/01/08 »
Still, looks a half-decent day - a lot better than the last time I was there anyway, then it was just grey.

kkm

« Reply #5 on: 21:55:14, 14/01/08 »
we did the horse shoe last year at the end of april. this was my first go at anything like this.  Our idea was to use it as a practise for the pw. we went with a group of friends, one who had a lot of experience and described the weekend as a little bit of scrambling, some walking, some climbing.........then some one said that they would like to climb snowdon...
i was totally out of my depth. in the end it took 11 hours to complete, and i was so glad to get back to our cabin.
i did discover that i loved the scrambling up, hated the coming down, and that it was the most amazing experience. is on the list to do again :) :)

wellerchap

« Reply #6 on: 14:44:20, 15/01/08 »
Sorry to piggyback the thread...  :-\

Hey, no problem mate.
That second pic...is it coming down off the last pinnacle with Snowdon behind the cameraman's right shoulder?
It's great to see areas from different angles on different photos.

Wilko

« Reply #7 on: 17:28:23, 16/01/08 »
Great pictures, very inspiring!

Myself and my girlfriend did Snowdon in August 2007. We wanted to do it via Crib Goch but the weather was so treacherous and appalling we didn't fancy a free ride in a yellow Sea King.

Hopefully we'll get to go again this year.

David

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 01:11:52, 17/01/08 »
I cant believe how atmospheric these pictures are..... the only photos I've got of this ridge are some slides dating from about 1980... we took 2 dogs along the ridge,. They seemed to cope quite well, though I'm not sure I'd be too happy about repeating that!
Fine pics, though...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy