Author Topic: Hello to All & C2C Question......  (Read 1258 times)

mjf2905

Hello to All & C2C Question......
« on: 02:57:26, 28/09/19 »
Hello All,

Greetings from Brisbane, Australia.  We are keen walkers and have trekked in Europe, North America and here in Australia.

My partner and I are well advanced with our planning to walk the C2C in September 2020.  We have all our accommodation booked for the walk with the exception of 2 nights in the Great Broughton area.  We are struggling to find accommodation close to the walking track in this area, other than the Wainstones Hotel.   We are unsure whether there may be other options we could consider, even if it meant having to organise taxi's, take a bus or possibly some accommodation may provide transport for a fee etc.

Could anybody who has either planned or completed the C2C offer any advice as to accommodation options in the area of Great Broughton that we may consider.

I would also make the point that we have locked in all our other locations and dates (for accommodation) of a 16 day itinerary at this stage so are loath to have to attempt to make any significant changes to our itinerary just for this particular accommodation challenge.

Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.  This is the last part of the travel jigsaw we need to complete that gets us from St Bees to RHB.....

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello to All & C2C Question......
« Reply #1 on: 07:38:35, 28/09/19 »
There are a number of options at Chop Gate, this is one, most offer a free pick up service from the C2C

https://www.the-buck-inn.co.uk/information-for-walkers/

Good luck with your C2C  :)
Where there's a will ...

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:02:07, 28/09/19 »
You mention 2 nights accommodation. Are you taking a rest day? If not, what is the other end point of the day's walking? Like sussamb I’m assuming one of them is Clay Bank.

mjf2905

« Reply #3 on: 01:35:58, 29/09/19 »
Thanks  sussamb for the advice, just gave us the clue to be able to search and get a better geographical understanding of this area.  The Buck Inn looks perfect for our needs and I have contacted them to make the booking.   We also note that other options are available if the Buck Inn doesn't come through......   For Percy (thank you for your feedback).  We are having 2 nights as the 2nd day is a planned rest day as you mentioned.  By way of additional information, we have allowed 16 walking days to complete the walk with rest days scheduled at Shap, Keld and (now) Chop Gate.  We are also allowing 2 nights in RHB at the Bay Hotel to bask in the glow of the finish ;))  We feel that a 16 day itinerary will allow us plenty of time to take in what looks to be magnificent and spectacular country along the route.   Also, my partner has an artificial hip so we have to be "realistic" about how we approach our walks these days.....   Thanks again to both for your feedback.  I look back to updating this forum as we go along and will certainly be posting information about our walk after the fact, which may help other first timers in the future.....

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:16:28, 29/09/19 »
When we did the C2C we stayed at Dromonby Bridge B&B Great Broughton. Dave the owner is a bit eccentric and the house old fashioned, but he’s a great character, and will pick you up from Clay Bank
Top and run you to the pub and back. See the reviews on tripadvisor.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:00:47, 30/09/19 »
I stayed at the Wainstones on my C2C in May - it's a fine place to stay and the owner actually came in early to make the four of us  bacon and sausage rolls to take with us, as we were leaving before breakfast, and drove us back to where we had left the route the previous day.  I would recommend.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy