Author Topic: TR Huddersfield Narrow Canal and Millstone Edge Fri 15 May 20  (Read 1988 times)

April

• Veteran Member
With travelling for exercise restrictions lifted and being able to meet up with one person outside your household I drove down  to meet Beefy and Squeaky at the Brownhill Centre near Uppermill in Oldham. Our walk started along the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. It was quite cold and cloudy to start.

On the Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Standedge Tunnel entrance

Enjoying the walk and company

Harrop Edge

Beefy told me we would be walking back that way later in the day.

We left the canal and walked up a bridleway that is actually part of the Pennine Bridleway. It ascended gently up by a house to the A62 and Brun Clough Reservoir.

View from the bridleway

The view of the house and the bridleway

We crossed the A62 and joined the Pennine Way and through a gate up onto Millstone Edge. It was really cold and windy here.

View from Millstone Edge

Castleshaw Reservoirs from Millstone Edge

The trig point on Millstone Edge

View from Millstone Edge

We saw 4 plaques with the Wrigley family names on near here mentioning The Dinner Stone.

The Dinner Stone?

I'm not sure if this is the Dinner Stone or not.

We walked a bit beyond this hoping to find shelter but there was none to be found so we turned tail and retraced our steps by Millstone Edge trig then left toward a wall where we found some respite from the wind for some lunch.

Lunchtime view of what I think is Pule Hill on the left

Lunchtime view

After lunch  we walked back down to the gate and turned right until we came to Standedge Foot Road which we followed to the A62. We walked a short distance along it until we came to Harrop Edge Lane and started ascending again.

Wild Poppies

Castleshaw Reservoirs from Harrop Edge Lane

Karls Kut Price Tours Deluxe Accommodation

View to Pots and Pans from Dobcross

The lane eventually lead to the village of Dobcross

Geese in the graveyard

We were then back at the canal and we walked for a while then had another brew and some food before heading back to the car park.

Bluebells on the canal bank

I said au revoir to Beefy and Squeaky and drove back home again. It was grand to see them after 8 weeks of being apart and it was a pretty good walk too.

I realised back at home most of this walk is on the OL1 OS Explorer map so I measured it back at home 10.25 miles and about 300m of ascent. Only a small part of this walk is within the Peak District border so I have put in the Rest of England.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Bit windy there eh?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
It was, we don't have much luck, the weather has been lovely for weeks, back to windy and cold!!
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Its that kind of area somehow.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and write up Ape  O0
Was a lovely walk fancy a wild camp  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

harland

• Veteran Member
I saved some seed of those yellow wild poppies whilst out walking thinking how nice they would be in a small clump, now I have them all over my bl...y garden!

April

• Veteran Member
Was a lovely walk fancy a wild camp  ;D

;D As soon as it is allowed we will be  :)

I saved some seed of those yellow wild poppies whilst out walking thinking how nice they would be in a small clump, now I have them all over my bl...y garden!

;D
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
The Rest Of England board has never seen so much action just lately  :D

Glad you got to see Beefy and Squeaky again and they dragged you out on what looks a nice walk.  Wouldn't fancy eating my dinner off that stone though!

Jac

• Veteran Member
Must have been great to get together with Squeaky again ;)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
A nice walk out onto the northern moors and lovely pics  O0. I can imagine the chilly breeze up there.
We've heard very little of that area for ages now, it seemed to be popular at one time.

April

• Veteran Member
Glad you got to see Beefy and Squeaky again and they dragged you out on what looks a nice walk. 

It was great to be back out with them again  :)

Must have been great to get together with Squeaky again ;)

It was  :)

We've heard very little of that area for ages now, it seemed to be popular at one time.

There may be a few more posts about this area in the coming weeks  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely April, don't know how I missed these yesterday  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Lovely April, don't know how I missed these yesterday  O0

:) Thanks Ridge, there may be a few more  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Great pics April O0

Karls Kut Price Tours Deluxe Accommodation
I have spent my time off work doing up that shed you should have seen it before I started :D

April

• Veteran Member
I have spent my time off work doing up that shed you should have seen it before I started :D

You must have fell asleep on the job  :D
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy