Author Topic: TR - Black Combe circular  (Read 3241 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Black Combe circular
« Reply #15 on: 08:02:42, 31/05/20 »
Thanks G&P, Karl  :)

Your route does look virtually identical to the way i went in 2012. We did it on a crisp October day so had great visibility and were lucky to see four of the five kingdoms :)
A few pics from our day - HERE

Enjoyed your report, Karl. You certainly had a clearer day than we did.

PS - are you sure that it is Northern Ireland in the 13th photo? Mull of Galloway seems more likely.
« Last Edit: 12:56:52, 31/05/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:54:53, 31/05/20 »
Grand pics and views, and very little walked .  O0
Black Combe is a fine isolated summit and usually done as a day walk, but it stood out to me as a south-western gateway for a multi-day sea-to-sea backpack around the western Lakes, leading to the underrated Stainton Fells and onwards to the south-western fells - a superb route I did back in 2010.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:55:10, 31/05/20 »
Grand pics and views, and very little walked .  O0
Black Combe is a fine isolated summit and usually done as a day walk, but it stood out to me as a south-western gateway for a multi-day sea-to-sea backpack around the western Lakes, leading to the underrated Stainton Fells and onwards to the south-western fells - a superb route I did back in 2010.

Thanks vg -  yes, we met a grand total of 8 people on the hill, all but two on the 'tourist' route up. That's one per mile. I can live with that. :)

...and Black Combe features in a few of my growing list of fantasy one and two night hikes through the Lake District  - possibly best as a finishing point though, and handy for the railway station at Silecroft.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

LostBoy84A

« Reply #18 on: 19:22:04, 31/05/20 »
Thanks for the reply, LostBoy84A  :)

I would recommend the route, but if you take a look at the cliffs to the east, you do need to be careful to head back west again to pick up the correct path to take you down the north western slopes - there is another tempting path heading NNE along the crest of the cliffs.

And if you want to avoid the rough ravines at the end, just follow the bridleway down through Whitbeck - it pops out on the main road just a few hundred metres from the layby. We stayed high partly to avoid going through farms during the pandemic. If you do stay on the fell, take the higher paths when you approach Millergill Beck, and the lower path when you approach Townend Gill, and don't be tempted to cut down into the trees too early - follow the main path angling up the hill until you reach the outbound route. This will help you in avoiding the worst of the gorse and rough ground.

Many thanks Richard
Steve.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy