Author Topic: which shoes do you prefer  (Read 2313 times)

Sevenup

Re: which shoes do you prefer
« Reply #15 on: 05:33:32, 21/05/20 »
I’m a huge fan of Hoka One One shoes and boots. Speedgoats (trail shoes, waterproof) for the summer months, Toas for just about any made trail and their walking boot for more ‘adventurous’ stuff. The cushioning, grip and heel to toe dip all work better for me now over traditional constructed shoes. dodgy knee, back and Achilles all combine to require something a bit more shock absorbing. Scottish weather is rarely dry for prolonged periods so waterproofing is essential

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:06:41, 21/05/20 »
Certainly at that price if they are comfortable and you like them you are onto a winner.
Although they are heavier than my boots.
I have ordered a spare pair of boots yesterday for £87 special offer
I guess the weight is a relative thing.  I have several different pairs/types of training shoes, these are the heaviest of those, but also the most comfortable on a 25 mile walk and the only ones I wear walking on rough ground.  My summer boots weigh a little more and my winter boots a fair bit more.  The most important thing for me is the comfort.   O0  Though the cost is always taken into account.  :)

Ronin83

« Reply #17 on: 16:29:06, 21/05/20 »
Boots for most, but only because of the mud, puddles and rain and I use lowa renegades which are quite light anyway. I've been up mountains with them no probs and did the salkantay trek to machu pichu with them. Boot nazis will tell you the renegades aren't suitable for mountains so apparently I've defied physics  ;D

Comfort wise, trainers all the way. Trainers only really get used in summer tbh.
I've just got some altra. Haven't used them yet, but they're all using them in the states for their long distance trails.
The only other thing is if you're going on a really rocky mountain your feet can take a beating so again tougher soles can help there.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:06:39, 21/05/20 »
Inov8 fell shoes most of the time, 3.5 season boots are great for bog/wet conditions but I'm pretty fed up with all the cleaning involved.  For winter use I'm not someone who can get away with super light weight shoes and always try to use B2s.

Heard great things about Hoka One Ones though, am looking for a pair after putting in some serious miles during 'lockdown' so I'll give them a shot as I keep hearing recommendations - especially from the triathlon types who put a lot of training miles on their kit.

Sevenup

« Reply #19 on: 21:10:15, 21/05/20 »
Inov8 fell shoes most of the time, 3.5 season boots are great for bog/wet conditions but I'm pretty fed up with all the cleaning involved.  For winter use I'm not someone who can get away with super light weight shoes and always try to use B2s.

Heard great things about Hoka One Ones though, am looking for a pair after putting in some serious miles during 'lockdown' so I'll give them a shot as I keep hearing recommendations - especially from the triathlon types who put a lot of training miles on their kit.
Sportsshoes.com is where I buy. Always in the sales. Depending on your sizes there are still bargains to be had. Not the most neutral of colours 🤣🤣

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:24:40, 22/05/20 »
Sportsshoes.com is where I buy. Always in the sales. Depending on your sizes there are still bargains to be had. Not the most neutral of colours 🤣🤣
They look like decent value.  What is the grip like on damp grass, I generally jog down grassy slopes and I need to feel confident that my foot ware will keep me upright.  I walk up all but the gentlest of gradients, so not so much of an issue going up.

Sevenup

« Reply #21 on: 20:23:06, 27/05/20 »
Sorry missed this. The grip is good. I usually find Vibram slippy on stones around a river. These are stable. A pair of Toas lasts me about 4-6 months. I’m 15st and very heavy on shoes. Walk about 100k steps a week on firmed hard path with the dogs - 3 lochs way, lower reaches of west highland way, John Muir way. I wouldn’t buy these shoes at full price unless I was desperate. I also use the Speedgoats during the summer months. They are more of a trail running boot. Again grip is good but the shoes are slightly less hard wearing than the Toas. Both very comfortable. I change my shoes once my damaged knee begins to hurt every night 😂😂

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy