Author Topic: Alltwen .Conwy Mountain .  (Read 9084 times)

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
Alltwen .Conwy Mountain .
« on: 12:09:27, 10/05/10 »
A glorious day in North Wales i could see the Mrs was itching to go out while i was hoping to catch a bit of the Grand Prix and the footie later . But women have powers of persuasion and i soon gave in .About 40 minutes or so from us is Conwy Mountain .I drove past it hundreds of times but never actually been up there . As you go under the arch in the town walls of Conwy turn left for the Sychnant Pass. You steadily gain height and at the top of the pass about 2 miles from Conwy you reach the top of the pass with limited parking space .( about 15 cars ).The North Wales Path crosses the road here . To our right was Alltwen .An old hill fought over looking Capelulo and Penmaenmawr .

The view from the car park at the top of Sychnant Pass . Alltwen to your right, with the Menai Straights and Anglesey in the distance .

The village of Capelulo below us and to the left the scorched hillside of Craigyfedwen. There was a huge gorse fire here recently that went right up to some of the houses in the village .

As you get to the top of the first incline the views were awesome .Anglesey and Puffin Island straight ahead and in the distance as clear as daylight was the Isle of Man .

Penmon Point, Puffin Island and Moelfre in the distance .

As you follow the well trodden path just below the summit the next landmark to come into view is the Great Orme, Llandudno .

The path up to the summit of Alltwen from the north .

Looking over to Penmaen Bach .

The small pond just below Alltwen .

The track back to the car park .
If anyone is holidaying on the North wales coast i recommend this walk .It's an easy stroll with very little height gained and the views are brilliant on a clear day. You can also extend the walk to take in Pensychnant Nature Reserve near to the car park .

« Last Edit: 12:13:02, 10/05/10 by Exit5man »
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

Micky

• Veteran Member
Re: Alltwen .Conwy Mountain .
« Reply #1 on: 17:10:36, 10/05/10 »
Looks a good one does that Howie, great pictures mate and it looks like you had some good weather and cracking views. Me and Mrs M are coming to Wales for a week in September so if it's anywhere near where we will be stopping I will be getting in touch for a more detailed route.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:32:28, 10/05/10 »
Looks great cheers! may be coming to Llandudno for few days end may will deffo have a crack at this if can persuade my kids to do it  O0 O0 O0   
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Desmodegsy

« Reply #3 on: 18:45:09, 10/05/10 »
Lovely photos!!! The hills and the coast, what a combination!  O0

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:19:54, 10/05/10 »
Wow, wish I'd known about this walk when we were there a couple of years ago.  Maybe next time O0

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:04:03, 10/05/10 »
luvly pics O0
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:54:39, 10/05/10 »
Looks great cheers! may be coming to Llandudno for few days end may will deffo have a crack at this if can persuade my kids to do it  O0 O0 O0
It's ideal for kids .From the car park you hardly gain any height. It's a great family walk .There were people of all ages walking there . There are paths all over the mountain .Have a look on google earth between Conwy and Penmaenmawr .The car park is at Sychnant Pass.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:55:09, 13/05/10 »
You should know, living where you do, but is that deffo the Isle of Man on the horizon?  I've seen it a couple of times from the hills above Penmaenmawr, though not as clearly as in your photo, and I thought it was Ireland, cos it's to the west.  I figured the IoM would be more to your right, the northwest.

While I'm at it, maybe you can also enlighten me as to what the bright lights are that can be seen out to sea at night from Llandudno?  And I mean out to sea, not Rhyl up the coast!

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:55:38, 14/05/10 »
Tidy ta! gorgeous day and lovely pics  O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:10:53, 14/05/10 »
You should know, living where you do, but is that deffo the Isle of Man on the horizon?  I've seen it a couple of times from the hills above Penmaenmawr, though not as clearly as in your photo, and I thought it was Ireland, cos it's to the west.  I figured the IoM would be more to your right, the northwest.

While I'm at it, maybe you can also enlighten me as to what the bright lights are that can be seen out to sea at night from Llandudno?  And I mean out to sea, not Rhyl up the coast!
Sorry Howardfernlover for any confusion . You cant actually see  Isle of Man in any of my photo's . You could see it with the naked eye clearly but you have to zoom right in on my photo, and then it starts to get grainy.It is about 65-70 miles away.
The lights you can see from Llandudno at night are most probably lights from the many gas rigs in the Irish Sea or maybe even ships. From some of the higher points along the North Wales coast such as Great Orme and Llandulas on a clear night you can faintly see street lighting from the more populated areas of the IOM.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:46:28, 14/05/10 »
Thanks for the information.  So it wasn't the Wicklow mountains I saw!  Actually, I've just looked at a map, and seen that Ireland is further around from above Dwygyflchi than I thought.  Not only would you have to be looking over Anglesey and not straight out to sea, but it's further away than IoM, too.

I didn't know there were gas rigs in the Irish sea, either.  That must be the lights I've seen from Llandudno, and not ships, because they're always in the same place each time.

When I was a kid we used to stop at a big rock halfway down the Sychnant Pass, on the left edge of the road . If you faced it and shouted, there was a slight pause before you got a really good echo back from the slopes on the other side. The rock is still there, well it was the last time I walked that way, but a lot of it was hacked away for road widening and you really have to work hard to get just a feeble echo now.

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:24:55, 16/05/10 »
Nice photos,i love it round there.You should of carried on to see the hill fort on Conwy mountain.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:14:03, 16/05/10 »
Lovely photos!!! The hills and the coast, what a combination!  O0

Indeed!  Looks a really lovely area! :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:58:32, 16/05/10 »

Indeed!  Looks a really lovely area! :)
It is honestly and it's so easy to get to .Hardly any height gained as the car park is quite high up to start with .

You should of carried on to see the hill fort on Conwy mountain.
Thats for next time . I've seen some photo's of the Conwy Estuary from near the fort and it looks fantastic .Can't wait to get there .

AnandLeo

Alltwen .Conwy Mountain .
« Reply #14 on: 17:40:39, 17/11/16 »
The geology of Alltwen hill may be assumed as formed of sedimentary rocks from the geology formed of volcanic and sedimentary rocks of Carneddau mountains. However, the outcrop Alltwen appears predominantly off-white like limestone. What is the blackish fine scree on the Alltwen Hill.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy