Author Topic: I may need a new tent?  (Read 956 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I may need a new tent?
« on: 12:50:10, 19/03/20 »
My wife's teacher friend has a 12-year-old and she went on a school camping trip at the weekend. I let her have my tent and she promised to look after it.

Her mum gave it back to me last night, it was covered in mud and intact but that's not a problem, unfortunately all of the poles and pegs have gone missing!

The school teacher who organised the trip is going to look for them today.

Pitboot

Re: I may need a new tent?
« Reply #1 on: 13:40:03, 19/03/20 »
She probably tried to look after it, but I don't think her friends on the trip would have had any respect for your kit. My experience with kids (13 years training cadets 12-18 yrs.), tells me most of them are not much concerned with taking care of outdoor gear.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:55:51, 19/03/20 »
It is a shame Glastonbury is cancelled as you could have your pick of tents for free after the festival.
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/what-happens-tents-left-behind-56851
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:49:51, 19/03/20 »

You feel you are helping but there is a lot of wisdom in the old saying "never a lender or a borrower be".

The number of times I have 'lost' tools and equipment, or, at best had it returned damaged...…………….

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:22:22, 19/03/20 »
I learnt the hard way not to lend tents.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:31:48, 19/03/20 »
Lend nowt that you're not prepared to lose.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:22:54, 20/03/20 »
Poles can be purchased cheaply from ebay - I bought some cheapo Chinese 8.5mm poles that were perhaps not as smoothly finished as top brand ones, but do the job - not sure that I would trust them on a mountain top in a gale, though.
[/excuse to buy new tent]

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:26:21, 20/03/20 »
I learnt the hard way not to lend tents.
Me too, lent one out to a girlfriend's son.  Managed to repair it, but why my tent was the only one damaged made me question his choice of friends.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:01:15, 20/03/20 »
I lent my 'Hobo Fan' tent to a friend, who promptly lent it to a 'friend' of his. Never saw it again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:49:16, 20/03/20 »
Yes, thank you all, at my age, I should know better, I learned today that the poles have been located at the children's campsite but I do not know as yet if they are complete set, if any are missing, or if any are broken?

Pitboot

« Reply #10 on: 13:34:19, 20/03/20 »
We all make errors of judgement when we are trying to help. I once, against my better judgement, lent a down sleeping bag to a neighbour's daughter who was doing D of E. I was thanked and given the "I'll look after it." speech. You can guess the rest.  ::)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:57:57, 20/03/20 »
I lent my tent to a work colleague.

Go the tent back Ok but had some explaining to do when a pair of large men's underpants fell out in front of my (not large) partner as we were pitching the tent  next trip.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:00:32, 20/03/20 »

Go the tent back Ok but had some explaining to do when a pair of large men's underpants fell out in front of my (not large) partner as we were pitching the tent  next trip.
I borrowed a car for a few weeks when I was a student.  During Rag week, I carted all sorts of people about.  The next weekend I was shopping with my partner and she found a plastic bag in the back.  Had two, low cut bras, sexy panties, suspenders and some stockings in it.  All way to small for the girlfriend at the time.
No one ever owned up to them being theirs.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:57:04, 20/03/20 »

Made me smile  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:55:12, 20/03/20 »
Phew! My problem is over. The mother of the child picked up my tent poles and pegs from the campsite this afternoon, I've just checked its all there, nothing was broken, nothing missing. I feel so lucky, don't think I'll do that again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy