Author Topic: Parking and farmers  (Read 7643 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Parking and farmers
« Reply #15 on: 12:04:41, 18/11/17 »
Until you have experienced the constant nuisance of annual summer traffic, blocking access to your home, then we cannot really argue the case of wanton criminal damage.
I have no sympathy with the owners of the vehicles, only for the farmer, who has to constantly live with farming in such a beautiful part of the country, and the problems its represents.

Whether its the way ive been brought up, or just my intelligence, ive never parked anywhere where access is restricted, just incase someone does drive a bit too close to my car and causes damage.

One poorly parked vehicle maybe, but dozens of cars parked in a terribly narrow access road, what do they expect for the consequences of their foolish actions, a quiet and timid farmer patiently waiting several hours for their return.

Its obviously a recurring problem for this land owner, a problem that the National Park does not want to confront, simply because the millions of walkers using the fells, are more important financially than the plight of a lone farmer.
« Last Edit: 12:16:05, 18/11/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:37:32, 18/11/17 »
Hmm! Your intellect and/or upbringing let you down to condone such damage, but hey let’s agree to disagree. At Porth y parc car park for sugar loaf a while back, I was returning with my other half and our dog after a walk. The local farmer passed us and waved, we waved back, five minutes later he was in the car park fuming that two cars had parked making his access awkward, we chatted as he took photos and left pre printed notes on their windscreen, well done farmer. I personally have respect for the countryside and those that live and work in it and that has to work both ways.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:35:15, 18/11/17 »
It’s an offence under the 1980 Highways act to wilfully obstruct the road. Parking is wilful, breaking down isn’t. If it stops someone going about their business then I have little or no sympathy with them. Tough.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:45:38, 18/11/17 »
Its hard to say who is to blame.Okay,Driver A pulls up and parks on the verge,the otherside of the road is clear of vehicles so he is not causing an obstruction.Driver A then goes off on his walk whilst Driver B pulls up and parks opposite him causing an obstruction.Driver A returns to his car and finds it damaged by a farm vehicle that was having difficulty getting through the gap.So who is to blame,Driver A who parked legally,Driver B who parked without any consideration to other road users,or the farmer who for some reason had difficulty in judging the size of his vehicle.I would say its Driver B and the farmer whilst Driver A  is the real victim.In the real situation Driver B's car might have been damaged but I am just pointing out that not all of the drivers were being inconsiderate.I suppose it comes down to the authorities/organisers failing to put parking controls in place for the event.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:56:49, 19/11/17 »
Is the landowner of the adjacent land blameless? One of the strongest feelings I got from reading through the CLA's national policy was the total absence of any awareness that the owners of land are part of a wider community, it was packed full of anecdotal grievances but did not suggest that a landowner should be aware how the occupation of a large part of countryside affects the community as a whole. The proximity to a right of way and major access point at a time of year that an event was likely to happen is likely to have been foreseen. To have made provision for temporary off road parking in a field was a possibility.

Walkers by and large strictly adhere to a countryside code that has been around for years and yet never have the CLA suggested that their members should behave in a proactive and hospitable way.

If you divide the agricultural and property interests, whereas the interruption of a days farmwork is understandably hindered by totally inconsiderate behavior by the car owners, the blind arrogance of a property owner to a foreseeable civil event could be contributory.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:03:42, 19/11/17 »
It is not only farmers.
We live on a narrow road opposite a secondary school, usually it is very quiet but twice a day, on Saturday mornings and some evenings and weekends it is chaos and sometimes becomes completely grid locked. There would certainly be no chance of a fire engine getting through.
We do moan about it obviously, particularly the school trips with coaches and parents cars at 3.00am, but we also plan our lives round it.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:28:27, 25/11/17 »
My friends just outside Benllech on Anglesea, dread the arrival of summer traffic, simply because its a regular occurrence that visitors desperate to park, block their entire driveway.
Goodness knows what would happen in an emergency.
The police have been involved several times, when it was necessary for them to gain access to their driveway.

The owners of the vehicles, sometimes become hostile when confronted with their unacceptable parking, but the majority, just get in their cars and drive away quickly, wanting to avoid confrontation.

Few, if any of us on this forum can envisage what the constant disruption to a farmers lively hood, sellfish parking entails.

Park sensibly, and respectfully, is that too much to ask.

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:22:52, 27/11/17 »
Entirely the farmers fault.  If he can't get through he should contact the police and the council.  Just because he can't get through gives him no right to ram through in his tractor.  He's undoubtedly local and dislikes the hordes of tourists that invade his land all the time.  Well unfortunately for him that's part and parcel of where he lives and works. 

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:52:42, 27/11/17 »
If he can't get through he should contact the police and the council.

Hours later the police turn up and then start trying to find a tow truck to remove the cars. Months later the council are still debating the subject. Meanwhile the farmer is prevented from earning a living.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy