Author Topic: Etrex 20 or Etrex 20x..any real world difference looking at the screens ..  (Read 2927 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member

I am on the lookout for another Etrex 20x but I just wonder does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when viewing the screens of a 20 and a 20x .?

The Etrex 20`s are going cheaper on E Bay compared to the 20x`s  as they are the older model .

It seems the resolution is higher on the 20x but I am curious if it makes much difference in the real world .
I use Open Source mapping on my 20x but also have an sd card with Ordnance Survey mapping on which I transferred to the card on my 20x recently.
When I turned the 20x on afterwards the first message that came up was some maps are locked and true enough I could not access the Ordnance Survey mapping . No real surprise , but thought it worth a try .

So I am thinking of buying another etrex and use two . One with OS mapping and one with Open Source mapping . Reason being they are both good in their own right but neither are correct all of the time .

Maybe overkill but I just enjoy the technology .  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I confess to not looking at the newer Etrex as I'm perfectly happy with my older Etrex 20.  I have 6 maps loaded, included the OS 1:50K but hardly use it as it is a raster map so blurs slightly as you zoom in.  All my OSM mapping is vector mapping so stays pin sharp.  I'm unclear why you feel you need two devices for two different mapsets?  OS mapping is locked to the card it came on, so transferring it to another card won't work, but you should have enough internal memory for other mapsets?
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
I confess to not looking at the newer Etrex as I'm perfectly happy with my older Etrex 20.  I have 6 maps loaded, included the OS 1:50K but hardly use it as it is a raster map so blurs slightly as you zoom in.  All my OSM mapping is vector mapping so stays pin sharp.  I'm unclear why you feel you need two devices for two different mapsets?  OS mapping is locked to the card it came on, so transferring it to another card won't work, but you should have enough internal memory for other mapsets?

I have the open source mapping on an sd card . So I could transfer that to the internal memory . ?

I never considered doing that . ::)

I agree about the OS mapping and being raster it often disappoints especially after looking at the very nice Open Source  mapping.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Yes, OSM maps can be on either card or on internal memory
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
Thanks for that , I will do my worst, and let you know how it goes.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
If the mapping card is linked to the specific unit It is possible Garmin could unlock it. I know that if a unit fails and you have a linked sd card Garmin can make it possible to shift it to another.
It's all uphill from here.

GnP

• Veteran Member
I cut and tried to paste the OSM mapping from the sd card into the internal memory and it told me there is not enough space.. 380 mb remaining in the units memory .  :-\

GnP

• Veteran Member
If the mapping card is linked to the specific unit It is possible Garmin could unlock it. I know that if a unit fails and you have a linked sd card Garmin can make it possible to shift it to another.

Thanks slowcoach.

I want to to be able to access Open Source mapping and Ordnance Survey mapping at will , but it appears I do not have enough room on the units internal storage to download the OSM mapping alongside the preinstalled generic Garmin topo mapping  that is on the unit when first bought .
 I was then hoping to pop the OS mapping sd card into the back of the unit and be able to use whatever map I choose as I walk .

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I cut and tried to paste the OSM mapping from the sd card into the internal memory and it told me there is not enough space.. 380 mb remaining in the units memory .  :-\

Oh, that's a shame, but it has 4Gb of internal memory, so you must have something else filling it all up?.

Edit: just read your post about the map that came with it, guess it's that taking up all the space. You could always remove that one if you don't use it?
« Last Edit: 20:12:35, 15/02/21 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member

No, from what GinAndPlatonic says the map must be locked to the card.
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member

Oh, that's a shame, but it has 4Gb of internal memory, so you must have something else filling it all up?.

Edit: just read your post about the map that came with it, guess it's that taking up all the space. You could always remove that one if you don't use it?

Yes I do not use the original preinstalled map on the unit...

There is a file gmapprom that takes up most of the units storage I presume it is the preinstalled Garmin worldwide topo map ?.. but do you think I could delete it and free up over 3.26 gb of space (it uses a lot of space)..or do I risk deleting files that allow me to run other things.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member

This is some info that came up when i searched on gpmappprom[/size]

[/size]However the Etrex20x has not relinquished the free space I thought would be created by dragging off the GMAPPROM.IMG file... I am told only 300 mb is free... [/size]And as a result now I cannot copy back onto the Extrex20x either the GMAPPROM.IMG or the TT50-BRITISH-ISLES+CONTOURS-DEM.IMG files.

Is there any space left on the sd card that is tied to the garmin maps
It's all uphill from here.

GnP

• Veteran Member

This is some info that came up when i searched on gpmappprom[/size]

[/size]However the Etrex20x has not relinquished the free space I thought would be created by dragging off the GMAPPROM.IMG file... I am told only 300 mb is free... [/size]And as a result now I cannot copy back onto the Extrex20x either the GMAPPROM.IMG or the TT50-BRITISH-ISLES+CONTOURS-DEM.IMG files.

Is there any space left on the sd card that is tied to the garmin maps

Oh dear that makes me think I should not try it. It appears garmin lock things up and the guy in your quote seems to have tried what I was thinking of doing..I have the same map as he or she , bought from Talky Toaster (TT) I believe ..

edit ..ps...Not much space at all on either cards..I have Open Source on one and Ordnance Survey on another....the Ordnance Survey one is locked too.. the person in your quote looks like he may have bricked his unit.? :-\

Ahh well better safe than sorry..
« Last Edit: 20:33:26, 15/02/21 by GinAndPlatonic »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I have no idea where that quote came from but I've seen folks on the Garmin and other forums who have successfully deleted the pre-installed map.

gmapprom is the name given by Garmin to the main map installed on all devices that they produce. I've deleted or removed many in the past.

Edit: found that quote, it was due to the fact a Mac was being used and the person forgot to empty the trash. When he did it all worked so you can go ahead without any worries
« Last Edit: 21:54:12, 15/02/21 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
I have no idea where that quote came from but I've seen folks on the Garmin and other forums who have successfully deleted the pre-installed map.

gmapprom is the name given by Garmin to the main map installed on all devices that they produce. I've deleted or removed many in the past.

Edit: found that quote, it was due to the fact a Mac was being used and the person forgot to empty the trash. When he did it all worked so you can go ahead without any worries
Thanks..I will try it.  It appears that on my unit , the preinstalled map takes up most of its limited memory to start with  . I never use it .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy