Author Topic: Uploading GPX files to Garmin Montana 610  (Read 1659 times)

Nikonitis

Uploading GPX files to Garmin Montana 610
« on: 12:36:01, 12/02/21 »
Hi, can anyone share their experience of uploading gpx files to a Garmin Montana 610. Not to be confused with the wrist watch, it is a handheld gps device. I have used it for navigating but cannot upload gpx files to it, that I have created using a third party app. I have followed the Garmin website advice and instructions but when I come to upload, my device is not recognised by Garmin, even though it is showing clearly on my desktop. Both the app and my device use open street source mapping, so there is no compatibility issue, what else could be the problem?

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Uploading GPX files to Garmin Montana 610
« Reply #1 on: 14:00:03, 12/02/21 »
I do not have hands on experience but is it possible to copy the GPX file , then paste it directly into the GPX folder that might well be on your Montana when looking at its files and folders on screen .? (if it acts the same as my Etrex 20x that is)

On my Garmin 20x I drag and drop GPX files onto it after I have created them .

Sorry not to answer your question directly . :-\
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:31:42, 12/02/21 »
What Garmin advice have you followed?

There are 2 ways to get a gpx file to your Montana.  The first is as described by GinAndPlatonic

The second is to use the free Garmin mapping program called BaseCamp, although there are also some third party ones, when you import the file into BaseCamp then send it to your device.  The advantage of this method is that you can be sure the gpx file is a valid one, occasionally files from third party apps aren't valid.

Perhaps you could provide some feedback on exactly what you're trying to do, and what you mean by 'Garmin doesn't recognise your device', exactly what doesn't?
« Last Edit: 14:37:19, 12/02/21 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:53:46, 12/02/21 »
Have a look to see if they have been downloaded to your unit as routes instead of tracks
It's all uphill from here.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:58:16, 12/02/21 »
Have a look to see if they have been downloaded to your unit as routes instead of tracks
Yes , and I think the advice Sussamb gave is spot on . When you open up the menu of your unit on Basecamp it shows so much more...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:00:30, 12/02/21 »
Which 3rd party app is it?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:25:51, 12/02/21 »

Well it shouldn't matter but the issue seems to be that his device isn't even seen by 'Garmin', whatever he means by that.
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:01:46, 12/02/21 »

Well it shouldn't matter but the issue seems to be that his device isn't even seen by 'Garmin', whatever he means by that.
I found that exporting gpx files to my oregon 700 from OS maps saved them as routes in the unit so when i looked in “where to “ they didn’t appear to be there. They were saved as routes.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:27:18, 12/02/21 »
Can't an Oregon do Where to, Routes? Thought all handhelds could do that, all mine do.

In any case it's why I always import gpx files into BaseCamp and then send them to my Garmin devices as you can see what is being sent etc.
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:28:52, 12/02/21 »
Can't an Oregon do Where to, Routes? Thought all handhelds could do that, all mine do.

In any case it's why I always import gpx files into BaseCamp and then send them to my Garmin devices as you can see what us being sent etc.
You are correct but following a route shows all the waypoints.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:55:36, 12/02/21 »
You are correct but following a route shows all the waypoints.

Ah true, I've used custom symbols to replace all the blue flags etc so forgot that little detail  O0
Where there's a will ...

Nikonitis

« Reply #11 on: 00:42:21, 13/02/21 »
Thank you one and all for your comments and advice. I've taken Sussamb's advice and have used Basecamp with success. I have 2 other gps devices and, with both I have been able, as has been suggested, to copy gpx files straight into the course files on the devices without having to use any other software. this was caught me out, but I'll know in future.

Eyelet

« Reply #12 on: 10:51:26, 14/02/21 »
I found that exporting gpx files to my oregon 700 from OS maps saved them as routes in the unit so when i looked in “where to “ they didn’t appear to be there. They were saved as routes.
I believe all GPX tracks in the OS Mapping app are exported as routes. I prefer tracks as I don’t navigate using routing, so I always import the GPX from OS into BaseCamp first and then convert to a track before loading onto my device.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:14:56, 14/02/21 »
I believe all GPX tracks in the OS Mapping app are exported as routes. I prefer tracks as I don’t navigate using routing, so I always import the GPX from OS into BaseCamp first and then convert to a track before loading onto my device.
Same here .

I found that routes were data heavy and didn`t always load fully onto my etrex gps untill Sussamb suggested I cut the amount of way points using the basecamp app beforehand . But even so , the only minor benefit to using a route , that I can see , is they can generate a tone at turns or if going off course , where tracks do not .

Eyelet

« Reply #14 on: 11:54:15, 14/02/21 »
... the only minor benefit to using a route , that I can see, is they can generate a tone at turns or if going off course, where tracks do not.

Yes I agree about the beep, but never use it!

Another limitation is that routes are limited in the number of routable waypoints and so a downloaded route may be very “angular” especially if it is a long hike.
I always check any GPX file I download in BaseCamp (and sometimes in Google Earth) to check the path and look for any obvious errors such as the spiky features of multipath errors in - just look at some tracks recorded in Goredale Scar for example. If you tried to follow some of these erroneous sections of track you would have to be a rock climber and mountain goat combined!
I recently came across a GPX route that had been copied from another route sharing site. The originator had updated his GPX file and route description, but the copier’s outdated GPX route had you going right through the centre of a working limestone quarry  :o  - a pretty obvious error when you look on Google Earth!! O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy