Author Topic: Wild camping  (Read 4053 times)

Dread

Re: Wild camping
« Reply #45 on: 12:39:09, 29/07/20 »
Festival mentality. When festivals end the fields are littered with abandoned tents, chairs, beer cans etc. There are no festivals so the same folk are just doing there own thing and spoiling the real countryside for everyone else.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 12:44:21, 29/07/20 »
Just a thought, but perhaps the media coverage has brought the idea of 'wild' camping to the notice of people who might otherwise never even have considered it.

Plus Covid19 has provided ample supply of people paid to sit at home bored and encouraged, quite rightly, to exercise. Who would otherwise never have given it a second thought.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 13:13:15, 29/07/20 »
Although litter really irritates me I can also see that so many people are also (as I see it anyway) exaggerating the size of the problem as well and the impact that it has had, or is having, on our general countryside. There may be people wild camping and leaving litter around but these places are just small areas and they are not all concentrated in the same place. when compared to industrial landscapes, etc litter in the countryside is small fry.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 13:18:06, 29/07/20 »
To be fair, gwm, I don't think that you would think that the problem was being exaggerated if you had to clear up the mess afterwards.
Having said that, in general terms I believe that you are correct - it is as usual a small minority spoiling it for the majority. And in my experience, some of the worst offenders for litter and the general despoilation of wild areas are farmers, our so called 'Guardians of the Countryside". The proliferation of quad bike tracks over sensitive areas springs to mind, as does the inevitable tatters of silage wrap plastic adorning barbed wire fences.
« Last Edit: 13:22:39, 29/07/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy