Author Topic: [TR] : Orrest Head  (Read 2834 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
[TR] : Orrest Head
« on: 21:50:50, 12/10/20 »
Despite the last-minute, impromptu-ness of yesterday’s Autumnal Ascent of Red Screes, I’d managed to get some sort of reasonably priced accommodation for the Friday/Saturday night.  And a big shout out has to go to The Sun Inn at Troutbeck Bridge for their saddo singleton for one room being spacious and not a box room in the rafters as an afterthought, warm, comfy, en-suite, free wifi, free parking, plus a superb breakfast and evening meal. 

Anyhow, after I’d checked out I decided to do a short walk before I headed home.  The weather was absolutely stonkingly, unbelievably, amazingly good and it would have been a crime to leave without squeezing a little walk in before I left.  A quick looksee at the map showed Orrest Head being within walking distance so I set off up Troutbeck Bridge’s equivalent of The Struggle – the road by the side of the pub.

Looking back down it:

Eventually I popped out onto the A592 Patterdale Road, crossed it and headed up a wonderful ancient lane:

I headed into Low Hagg Wood:

Lovely woodland.  It smelled all earthy and autumnal and I kicked through the leaves like a child.

I missed my turnoff and ended up in High Hay Wood.  I found a fingerboard pointing the way to Orrest Head (only half a mile) so wandered off in that direction – back up through High Hay Wood.  I may have wandered out of the wood a bit and up some grazing pasture, then back to the wood and then through some more grazing pasture.  I found another fingerboard pointing the way to Orrest Head (only half a mile) so set off in that direction.  I may have ended back up in High Hay Wood again, or it might have been a different wood – who knows! 

Some pics from this aimless ambling:

After a while I spotted some people coming down the hillside and looked beyond to see a gaggle of folks on the skyline.  I took a wild guess that they were on Orrest Head so just aimed for there.  I found a fingerboard pointing the way to Orrest Head (only half a mile).  For goodness sake!  Seriously?

Luckily, from here there were regular marker posts to assist the navigationally challenged.

And an impressive Pointless Stile:

Higher and higher I got:

Until, yay:

I actually had to queue!  Snowdon, eat yer heart out.

I sat and enjoyed the sunshine and a coffee and people-watched for a good long while.  It was really lovely to see so many people out enjoying the day.  All ages, all abilities.  Eventually though, the crowds became too much for me and my mind daydreamed back to the wild, remote Scandale Valley and I decided it was time to head back down.  I chose a southern exit and discovered this was The Tourist Route up to Orrest Head.  In reality it was a very easy track that meandered its way gently through woodland:

...eventually popping me out onto the A592 again.

A short walk along the road and I returned down The Mini Struggle Road back to my car.

A smashing short walk at just under 4 miles.  It’s definitely one to do on a sunny morning so the sun’s behind you, lighting up the fells opposite, and making Windermere look magical

My track recording looks like I’ve drawn a squirrel eating a nut.  And I don’t care.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] : Orrest Head
« Reply #1 on: 22:15:47, 12/10/20 »
Lovely photos, Mel - wasn't the weather gorgeous - My family and I were on Wetherlam (the hill on the right in your 5th photo).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:38:46, 12/10/20 »
Looks awful.....glad I decided not to camp and went home  >:( ;D 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:57:40, 12/10/20 »
So pleased that you had a walk today and shared the nice pics instead of like the day before.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:01:03, 13/10/20 »
Looking at the picture of the stile and the gap in the wall, and remembering Watergate-Gate I'm guessing you paced up and down for a while before climbing over the wall just out of picture? ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:01:41, 13/10/20 »
Lovely pictures. Glad you managed a short get away and with the bonus o a comfortable single room O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:00:46, 13/10/20 »
Great pictures and report. As you were not in the Lake District for a walk up Red Screes, were you also not there for this walk, making these pictures a figment of your imagination?

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:25:59, 13/10/20 »
Ah the Sun Inn brings back memories of happy days!

Lovely aimless rambling moments... if you ever go back to Sun Inn and love beautiful gardens, walk around Holehird Gardens... you wont be disappointed!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:37:11, 13/10/20 »
Enjoyed the TR Mel    :)    Lovely stream and woodlands

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:52:54, 13/10/20 »
Orrest Head is a lovely hill and does have great views, lovely photos (again, or perhaps not) Mel  O0

I am smiling at your navigating, if only you had seen me yesterday making a complete pig's ear trying to get down off a hill in clag, embarrassing  :D
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:24:34, 13/10/20 »
Fantastic photos Mel, I've been there twice and didn't get blue sky, now I see what I couldn't see. Really like the view of the Coniston/Langdale fells from there O0

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:09:13, 13/10/20 »
Great pics mel O0
I love being under trees :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:02:51, 15/10/20 »
Lovely photos, Mel - wasn't the weather gorgeous - My family and I were on Wetherlam (the hill on the right in your 5th photo).

It really was gorgeous weather Richard.  I spotted your TR but will have to read it tomorrow as my eyes are hurting now.

Looks awful.....glad I decided not to camp and went home  >:( ;D   

;D    Word on the street is that you lugged a load of wild-camping kit around the fells on Saturday just for fun..

So pleased that you had a walk today and shared the nice pics instead of like the day before.

Indeed.  At least the weekend wasn't totally wasted  :D

Looking at the picture of the stile and the gap in the wall, and remembering Watergate-Gate I'm guessing you paced up and down for a while before climbing over the wall just out of picture? ;D 

:knuppel2:    :tickedoff:   

I've no idea what you could possibly mean  ;D

Lovely pictures. Glad you managed a short get away and with the bonus o a comfortable single room O0

Cheers Jac.  I think a desperate sort of cabin fever had set in so it was a very welcomed break  :)

Great pictures and report. As you were not in the Lake District for a walk up Red Screes, were you also not there for this walk, making these pictures a figment of your imagination?

Arrgh!  Rumbled  ;D

Ah the Sun Inn brings back memories of happy days!

Lovely aimless rambling moments... if you ever go back to Sun Inn and love beautiful gardens, walk around Holehird Gardens... you wont be disappointed!

Cheers Dodgylegs.  I would certainly stay there again and I'm always on the lookout for "short walks on the way" so I'll keep that in mind  O0

Enjoyed the TR Mel    :)     Lovely stream and woodlands

Thanks Dovegirl  :)   To be honest, it may have been the same woodland, several times  ;D

Orrest Head is a lovely hill and does have great views, lovely photos (again, or perhaps not) Mel  O0

I am smiling at your navigating, if only you had seen me yesterday making a complete pig's ear trying to get down off a hill in clag, embarrassing  :D

Don't mention pigs ears  :o   You'll have the Pig Protection Society after you again  :D

Fantastic photos Mel, I've been there twice and didn't get blue sky, now I see what I couldn't see. Really like the view of the Coniston/Langdale fells from there O0 

Thanks Henry.  I hope you make it back some day and get the blue sky views  O0

Great pics mel O0 
I love being under trees :) 

Cheers beefy.  It's a good job I do too  :D  Although conifer plantations, less so.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 06:02:15, 16/10/20 »
Love the pic of the Conistons over the trees, also congrats on finding the longest half-mile in the Lake District :D
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:13:27, 16/10/20 »
 ;D  Cheers Strider.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy