Author Topic: Lightweight coffee options?  (Read 9957 times)

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
Re: Lightweight coffee options?
« Reply #15 on: 13:22:37, 13/03/11 »
I have used the coffee bags too, and they taste great.
Paul

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:48:54, 19/03/21 »
As a result of making up a lightweight cookset in anticipation of heading for the hills, and remembering how disgusting instant coffee is, I thought that I would revive this long dead thread.

I tried just throwing in a spoonful or two of ground coffee into the bottom of a mug, Turkish Coffee style, but the grounds are steeped in the hot water for a long time, and the resulting brew gets impossibly strong - strong enough to make me shudder. And then there are the grounds to avoid, and then deal with.

So I decided to make my own coffee bag by putting a couple of teaspoonfuls of ground coffee into a filter, folding it over a couple of times and then securing with a staple - works a treat when plonked into a mug of boiling hot water - the perfect cup of ground black coffee.

Anyone else do anything similar, or have other solutions that don't involve buying/carrying extra gear?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:09:05, 19/03/21 »
I love good coffee too, but on a walk or wild camping i can make do with instant.  Real coffee seems like a lot of palaver when walking. Of course if you dress to dine when camping, then surely the butler can carry a small percolator?
I have, on the odd occasion, dressed to dine while camping but I am afraid that I neglected to ask the steward how the chef had made the coffee that we had before the port.  Sorry  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:30:21, 19/03/21 »
I saw the other day a company that does coffee bags that you fill yourself and then seal.

Have a look at stick coffee infusers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hemoton-Strainer-Stainless-Portable-Infuser/dp/B0827ZKZ8X/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1TE7H4ZIT36Y4&dchild=1&keywords=stick+coffee+infuser&qid=1616163956&sprefix=stick+coff%2Ckitchen%2C174&sr=8-6

I got my one (similar Principal to this one) from Asda a few years back.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:53:47, 19/03/21 »
As (mainly) a tea drinker I feel like an observer rather than a participant in this thread!
However; well done all round, loads of different solutions to the problem, tailored to circumstances and our varied tastes. Very impressive, award yourselves a gold star  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:06:43, 19/03/21 »
Many years ago before we had even heard of or bought our own cafetiere and then a coffee machine with grinder, we had Lyons Coffee Bags as a treat, we thought they were wonderful!  ;D  I expect now they will be inferior to what we are used to. I just googled as I didn’t even know if they are still made but I see they are and others make them too. Taylors have different strengths, I wonder if they may be good enough to take on a trip. I now hate instant coffee and if that’s all that’s available I will have a cup of tea instead.  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:15:27, 19/03/21 »
I saw the other day a company that does coffee bags that you fill yourself and then seal.

Speedster Backpacking Products (better known for their meths burners and windshields), sell them individually! I suppose what I have done is the same. Might look at an infuser.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:16:49, 19/03/21 »
As (mainly) a tea drinker I feel like an observer rather than a participant in this thread!
However; well done all round, loads of different solutions to the problem, tailored to circumstances and our varied tastes. Very impressive, award yourselves a gold star  O0

I'm a tea drinker, but find tea with powdered milk, or black tea  :o , very much second best, whereas I do like my ground coffee black.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:22:57, 19/03/21 »
Many years ago before we had even heard of or bought our own cafetiere and then a coffee machine with grinder, we had Lyons Coffee Bags as a treat, we thought they were wonderful!  ;D  I expect now they will be inferior to what we are used to. I just googled as I didn’t even know if they are still made but I see they are and others make them too. Taylors have different strengths, I wonder if they may be good enough to take on a trip. I now hate instant coffee and if that’s all that’s available I will have a cup of tea instead.  O0

I have used the Taylors coffee bags, whilst they are better than instant, that is about as good as you can say. IMHO

Van Morrison

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 07:15:11, 20/03/21 »
I use my mothers old tea leaf strainer when out for a few days for coffee making.   Lightweight and with my screw top box for the coffee grains a reasonable mug of the brew can be achieved. :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:34:31, 20/03/21 »
Carry a few Taylors of Harrogate coffee bags, the Java coffee versions, are guaranteed to blow anyone's mind, after a long and tiring jaunt.
That flask of boiling water, a splash of milk, and bobs your uncle.

I had one two weeks ago, whilst sitting quietly alone on the summit of Diffwys.

My Jetboil was on the go, favourite mug, and wow, a cuppa to equal anything from Costa or Starbucks, at a fraction of the cost, in surroundings almost as good as the cuppa

Dread

« Reply #26 on: 20:10:11, 20/03/21 »
The Aeropress makes a good cup of real coffee. Its small and plastic so pretty light. Just add ground coffee and hot water, wait a minute then press. You will have a small 'puck' of coffee grounds to get rid of but they are biodegradable.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:27:56, 20/03/21 »
Thank you all of your suggestions. As I mostly am planning short 1-2 night trips, I think that I will stick to my DIY ground coffee bags for now, I'll just make up the required number before I go.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:36:44, 23/03/21 »
I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082M3TLYL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_KXF1KMGK9ZQQ5MDC64VZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1  

Put coffee in it, stick it on top of your mug and pour hot water over it. Seems to work OK

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:18:16, 23/03/21 »
I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082M3TLYL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_KXF1KMGK9ZQQ5MDC64VZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Put coffee in it, stick it on top of your mug and pour hot water over it. Seems to work OK

isn't that a bit big and delicate to carry in a rucksack?

Van Morrison

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy