Author Topic: Books and reading on Walking  (Read 820 times)

AZALDO

Books and reading on Walking
« on: 17:51:04, 22/12/14 »

Something so share:
 I was re-visiting some books earlier and read parts of “The Walk, notes on a romantic image” by Jeffrey C Robinson. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on Walking and Solitude. Here the author quotes Jean-Jacques Rousseau, the French Philosopher, he teaches us that in walking we may feel like lords and ladies of the earth. We approach a condition of being, the mind fills the landscape or may surpass it. He says:
There is something about walking which stimulates and enlivens my thoughts. When I stay in one place I can hardly think at all, my body has to be on the move to set my mind going. The sight of the countryside, the succession of pleasant views, the open air, a sound appetite, and the good health I gain by walking, the absence  of everything that makes me feel my dependence, of everything that recalls to my situation – all these serve to free my spirit, to lend a greater boldness to my thinking, to throw me, so to speak, into the vastness of things, so that I can combine them, select them, and make them mine as I will, without fear or restrain.
How true this is, since childhood I found walking a liberating experience. As Rousseau says walking and thinking go together. I have also observed, the conversations are generally succinct and honest when conducted during a walk.
"I walk, therefore I am."

Diamond Backpacker

Re: Books and reading on Walking
« Reply #1 on: 21:50:48, 22/12/14 »
Thanks for posting this. Very true for me as well.

"There is something about walking which stimulates and enlivens my thoughts.

When I stay in one place I can hardly think at all, my body has to be on the move to set my mind going.

The sight of the countryside, the succession of pleasant views, the open air, a sound appetite, and the good health I gain by walking, the absence  of everything that makes me feel my dependence, of everything that recalls to my situation

- all these serve to free my spirit, to lend a greater boldness to my thinking, to throw me, so to speak, into the vastness of things, so that I can combine them, select them, and make them mine as I will, without fear or restrain"

J J Rousseau
« Last Edit: 16:56:54, 23/12/14 by Diamond Backpacker »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy