Author Topic: B1 boot recommendations  (Read 3149 times)

Miles Prower

B1 boot recommendations
« on: 18:43:05, 28/07/19 »
So looking for a decent pair of "B1" level boots to cover all year walking/hiking bit with crampon adaptability if required. Was in Cotswolds today and the guy came up with Han Wag Tatra 2s and Meindl Bhutans,  of course nothing in my size (UK 12.5 pos 13 depending of the fit etc).  Like the idea of something that looks like a leather boot rather than the multi coloured fare for specific mountain walking. Pretty new to hiking but want to do Ben Nevis in winter possibly as well as hiking over the summer Snowdonia etc.
I have wide feet too..
What are everyone's recommendations?
Cheers

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: B1 boot recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 19:06:16, 28/07/19 »
You could try Scarpa SL active.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:31:48, 28/07/19 »
You could do a lot worse than to have a look at Altberg's range of boots. You can find your nearest stockist here https://www.altberg.co.uk/stockists/ The ones to look for are the Premier Retailers with the red flags on the map who tend to carry a wider range of stock.

It depends where you are located in the country but I can personally recommend a visit to Whalley Warm & Dry https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/  Customers travel from all over the country to use their boot fitting skills and expertise and they are highly recommended by many other forum members. If you ever get up to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales they're well worth a visit.

In common with the Meindl Bhutans the 3 Season boots are not marketed as being crampon compatible although many members on here have successfully used them occasionally with C1 flexible crampons without issue. The Mallerstang 3-4 Season boot is marketed as being C1 crampon compatible but I think you would probably find it to be too stiff and heavy to consider wearing it all year round. Regardless of model you will not be diappointed with the build quality of any of them.

3 Season Boots
Altberg Tethera Men's 1472g RRP £214.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-tethera-mens-boot-mto/
Altberg Nordkapp Unisex 1460g RRP £219.99 (A-Forme last with 1 medium width fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/factory-stock-nordkapp/
Altberg Kisdon Unisex 1622g RRP £219.99 (G-Fit last with 1 wide width high volume fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/kisdon-boot-factory-stock/

3-4 Season Boots
Altberg Mallerstang Unisex 1768g RRP £239.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-mallerstang-boot-mto/

As Owen has already pointed out the Scarpa SL Active is another option worth considering and seems to get top spot in most of the recent magazine reviews I've read. It's similar to the Altberg Mallerstang and you may well find it to be too stiff and heavy for year round use. Also worth bearing in mind is that Scarpa have a reputation for building their boots on quite narrow fitting lasts in comparison to other manufacturers.

Miles Prower

« Reply #3 on: 19:32:34, 28/07/19 »
You could try Scarpa SL active.
Great thanks they look good,  I've found Scarpa often run fairly narrow. Have you found this?  I'll get onto scapa tomorrow to find out more

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:47:49, 28/07/19 »
My feet are very wide and I've found them to fit fine, I also have their ski touring boots again no problem with fit. You really have to try them for yourself.

Miles Prower

« Reply #5 on: 19:51:35, 28/07/19 »
You could do a lot worse than to have a look at Altberg's range of boots. You can find your nearest stockist here the ones to look for are the Premier Retailers with the red flags on the map who tend to carry a wider range of stock.

It depends where you are located in the country but I can personally recommend a visit to Whalley Warm & Dry Customers travel from all over the country to use their boot fitting skills and expertise and they are highly recommended by many other forum members. If you ever get up to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales they're well worth a visit.

In common with the Meindl Bhutans the 3 Season boots are not marketed as being crampon compatible although many members on here have successfully used them occasionally with C1 flexible crampons without issue. The Mallerstang 3-4 Season boot is marketed as being C1 crampon compatible but I think you would probably find it to be too stiff and heavy to consider wearing it all year round. Regardless of model you will not be diappointed with the build quality of any of them.

3 Season Boots
Altberg Tethera Men's 1472g RRP £214.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings)
Altberg Nordkapp Unisex 1460g RRP £219.99 (A-Forme last with 1 medium width fitting)
Altberg Kisdon Unisex 1622g RRP £219.99 (G-Fit last with 1 wide width high volume fitting)

3-4 Season Boots
Altberg Mallerstang Unisex 1768g RRP £239.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings)

As Owen has already pointed out the Scarpa SL Active is another option worth considering and seems to get top spot in most of the recent magazine reviews I've read. It's similar to the Altberg Mallerstang and you may well find it to be too stiff and heavy for year round use. Also worth bearing in mind is that Scarpa have a reputation for building their boots on quite narrow fitting lasts in comparison to other manufacturers.

Thanks kinkyboots this is an excellent response, I'll look into the Altbergs,  I'm based south London which is a total pain but there you go...!

Miles Prower

« Reply #6 on: 19:52:37, 28/07/19 »
My feet are very wide and I've found them to fit fine, I also have their ski touring boots again no problem with fit. You really have to try them for yourself.

Ok great Stuff Owen

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #7 on: 20:44:07, 28/07/19 »
Alpinetrek do Hanwag boots up to size 13 -

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/hanwag-tatra-light-gtx-walking-boots/

They have a selection in your sizing. Do a search on the website.

A current owner of both Scarpa & Hanwag,  Hanwag are a better boot (in my opinion)

I've bought a lot of kit from Alpinetrek and never had a problem.

'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:34:08, 28/07/19 »
I found the recent Scarpa boots to be too narrow. I previously had a pair of Scarpas for many years that were very comfortable. Maybe my feet have got wider, or Scarpas are now narrower. I have struggled to find wide boots and now have a pair of Altberg Tetheras in size 12W plus a pair of Merrill Moab II in size 13UK. These are also wide fitting, but are not leather.

Miles Prower

« Reply #9 on: 23:07:30, 28/07/19 »
I found the recent Scarpa boots to be too narrow. I previously had a pair of Scarpas for many years that were very comfortable. Maybe my feet have got wider, or Scarpas are now narrower. I have struggled to find wide boots and now have a pair of Altberg Tetheras in size 12W plus a pair of Merrill Moab II in size 13UK. These are also wide fitting, but are not leather.

Great stuff,  how did you arrive at the Tethetas over the others,  did you try okb various pairs or just online? 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:49:00, 29/07/19 »

Great stuff,  how did you arrive at the Tethetas over the others,  did you try okb various pairs or just online?
I went to a number of outdoor stores in Aberdeen and the surrounding area. This led to finding the MOABs. I also wanted some leather boots, but was struggling to find anything wide enough. I had read about Altberg and found out that we had a premier retailer nearby. I tried on Mallerstang, Tethera and Fremlington in a few different sizes and width fittings, after having my feet measured. The Mallerstang boots seemed too stiff to accommodate my significantly over pronating right foot, while the Fremlingtons didn’t give enough support. The Tetheras fit the bill. The big bonus for Altberg was the different width fittings, which most other boots don’t have. That made most other makes of boot much too tight in the toe box. For work shoes I am an 11 extra wide, but this time I was 12W with Altberg and 13UK for the MOABs.

To date I have walked over 100 miles in the MOABS, with no blisters or any other foot problems. Due to injury I haven’t managed to really test out the Altbergs yet.

Miles Prower

« Reply #11 on: 14:56:42, 30/07/19 »
I went to a number of outdoor stores in Aberdeen and the surrounding area. This led to finding the MOABs. I also wanted some leather boots, but was struggling to find anything wide enough. I had read about Altberg and found out that we had a premier retailer nearby. I tried on Mallerstang, Tethera and Fremlington in a few different sizes and width fittings, after having my feet measured. The Mallerstang boots seemed too stiff to accommodate my significantly over pronating right foot, while the Fremlingtons didn’t give enough support. The Tetheras fit the bill. The big bonus for Altberg was the different width fittings, which most other boots don’t have. That made most other makes of boot much too tight in the toe box. For work shoes I am an 11 extra wide, but this time I was 12W with Altberg and 13UK for the MOABs.

To date I have walked over 100 miles in the MOABS, with no blisters or any other foot problems. Due to injury I haven’t managed to really test out the Altbergs yet.

I've got a pair of Chameleon 5 GTX which are an excellent fit, v comfortable.  Think they're pretty similar to the moabs...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:21:46, 30/07/19 »
I thought your were looking for "decent pair of "B1" level boots to cover all year walking/hiking bit with crampon adaptability if required."

Image result for merrell chameleon 5 gtx
The internet shows these as Chameleon 5 GTX.  If this is what you have bought, I would hesitate to use them as suggested in your original post.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:36:35, 30/07/19 »
I will second Mr Owens suggestion with the Scarpa SL active, as my friend bought a pair a few months ago.
He wanted boots to take advantage of the heavy snow in Cwm Eigiau, and to wear year round, over challenging terrain.
Their not cheap, at around £260-70 but there's no denying their quality, as their a serious four season boot, that if looked after, should give many years of sterling service.

When your buying a boot of this quality, and price, they really represent good value, as your unlikely to be needing another pair of similar 4season boots for many years.

Their Vibram sole, has a very deep tread pattern, and you only have to look at them, to see their quality.

Its such a popular boot, that i recon you may pick a pair up for a slight discount.

Visit your local Cotswold or good boot shop, and try on a pair, and if you have that kind of money to spend, they should certainly be on your final list of  boots.
« Last Edit: 16:40:52, 30/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:04:34, 30/07/19 »
The shoes in the photo look like quite comfortable summer walking shoes, with the right socks they could easily be used in spring and autumn as well. They wouldn't be suitable for wearing with crampons so not good for Ben Nevis in winter. They might work with micro spikes, I'm not very familiar with them so can't really say. However you'll need full crampons on Ben Nevis. The Cameleon's would be better suited to the majority of walking in Britain than heavy B1's, just not on snow and ice.

DA, if you must get formal it's Mr Merrick, Owen is my Christian name.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy