Author Topic: Campsites in Cornwall  (Read 1117 times)

everylittlebreeze

Campsites in Cornwall
« on: 14:39:41, 05/06/08 »
Hello, a newbie here with a question about camping experiences in Cornwall.  I'm tentatively planning to section hike Land's End to John O'Groats, and am currently looking at campsites in Cornwall and Devon.

I've noticed some sites seem to be particular about who they accommodate, and the Cicerone guidebook hints that backpackers may not always be welcome.  Has anyone experienced any problems in Cornwall or elsewhere with campsites?

I'd be grateful for any information, thanks!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Campsites in Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: 18:59:11, 05/06/08 »
I remember once having 'We're not keen to have a group of teenage lads' though they did let us stay after reading us the riot act, but that was a long time ago.

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
Re: Campsites in Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: 13:45:38, 25/06/08 »
I recently cycled LEJOG, and although I sort of pre-booked my sites along the route, I had no difficulty in just turning up and camping. There were two of us, and it was a charity ride, so a few places even gave us discount.

Most sites expect a family car with a huge tent on each pitch, so if you are alone in a small tent, they often charge a lot less. If you are a little cute, you can pitch up late, and leave early and avoid paying altogether. Though I would never advocate this, it happened a couple of times with us, when we literally couldn't find anyone to pay !!

We also managed to wild camp on the odd night, but obviously there are no facilities, and I slept in my damp cycling gear. I dried off the next day. If you are hiking on Dartmoor etc, you can camp wild alongside the paths if you don't mind getting a bit smelly.

If you want a list of sites, use the UK camping website

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

I found this an excellent resource.

Good luck

If you need more info, drop me a private message.

Regards
Paul

Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy