Author Topic: Coast to Coast - which way is best?  (Read 1187 times)

Walking Englishman

Coast to Coast - which way is best?
« on: 10:47:34, 31/08/08 »
Hi, I have done the Coast to Coast walk twice, once east to west in 1994 and then west to east in 1999. I thought the Lakeland climax on the first crossing was just about preferable to the traditional way but I suspect most will prefer the west to east crossing. How about you? I would be interested to know thoughts of the group.

Thank you,
Mike

Both walk reports are on http://www.walkingenglishman.com

I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Coast to Coast - which way is best?
« Reply #1 on: 12:02:58, 31/08/08 »
Well, you've got the wind behind you if you go West-East and its probably more sociable to go this way - with the crowds, as it were, but improving scenery - and , probably, fitness if you go the other way.

Whatever you do, though, never go North - South on this walk.

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mr Sam

« Reply #2 on: 13:58:03, 31/08/08 »
On the benefit of hindsight I would have prefered going west to east. I also think St.Bees is very anti-climatic, finishing at Ravensglass after walking down Eskdale would be far cooler.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

Walking Englishman

« Reply #3 on: 14:21:23, 31/08/08 »
Of the last day I have to agree, the eastern end, Robin Hoods Bay/ Ravenglass, etc is far more appealing than the thought of leaving Lakeland to trudge through Cleator into St Bees.
I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy