Author Topic: Mountain Rescue Mountain Advice  (Read 10452 times)

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: Mountain Rescue Mountain Advice
« Reply #30 on: 15:14:24, 05/10/12 »
Being a bit of a Devil here  ::)  but Rescue teams wear RED does that make them less professional ??? ;)

I hope my answer is taken as lighthearted as I mean it to come across. MRT teams love the idea of uniformity. Most teams do wear (with a few exceptions) red and black jackets and black trousers. Budget constraints don't really allow full teams to be kitted out at once but I am sure that most teams would love to have all the same uniformed gear for all there members. If you speak to any of the team leaders they were mostly envious of the RAF MRT Teams because they always had budgets that allowed uniformity.

If you look back at what I said earlier I was told to stick to a basic couple of colours. I chose black and greys. MRT teams pick red and black but the same basic principle stands.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 16:22:38, 05/10/12 »
Honest answer mate. If I fell forward and broke both arms resulting in my not being able to retrieve my survival bag I possibly would also not be able to retrive my mobile phone or whistle to call for help. I would quickly become cold and have no way of alerting anyone to my peril. No matter what colour you are wearing if no one is looking for you in the first place then it really does not matter what colours you are wearing. Yes a bright yellow jacket may be noticed better than a black one but only if someone is looking for it.

Cheers for that AC.

One thing that would seriously help is if people left a written route with someone and a time you are due back.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:23:24, 05/10/12 »
Not ridiculous at all.  How many people end up needing rescuing ?  A massively small minority and to suggest everyone else should go prepared as if they would be is just non-sensical, no matter who says so.  Like I said, if you think you're going to need rescuing then you should stay at home.
Rob.

But no one said anyone should go prepared as if they they would need rescuing. That was your completely wrong assumption of what I meant.
All I said was that, in my opinion, ( and it's as good as anyone elses) colourful clothing , and again I never mentioned 'Yellow' or indeed even 'Bright' colours,
would make you easier find if it came to a search by 'mountain rescue'. I would think that fact is obvious.
Now how you come to interpret that as me saying, that everyone should go out prepared as if to be rescued, is interesting to say the least. Perhaps you should read posts properly, before making comments verging on the personal.
Do you carry a mobile phone in your sack when out Fell walking? Just about everyone does these days, and why is that I wonder. A big part of the answer to that, is so they can contact mountain rescue if the need arises. Does that mean that everyone setting out with a mobile in their sack is going out prepared as if they would need rescuing. No, of course they aren't.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:21:38, 05/10/12 »
What a ridiculous thing to say.
So you are arguing that wearing clothing in colours that stand out from the surrounding is wrong, and anyone that does is setting out thinking about being rescued. (Doh!)
I suggest to you that it is you that is in the wrong frame of mind, before and after you start.

To add, see under clothing. That will do for me, now argue against that.
http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/mountain-advice

Lighten up mate.  ;)

The link to the advice, is mainly aimed at newbies venturing into the hills for the first time. The modern designs and colours now  have nothing to do with saftey on the hill, but just to make you look good.   
The point being made is you should pay more attention to planning your walk having all the correct gear ect. Last thing to worry about is the colour of the cothing you wear. :)

The early victorian pioneers manage ok !   

Below, a classic pic of the the greatest Fell waker of them all. AW   O0

« Last Edit: 17:25:04, 05/10/12 by Ridge Walker »

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:37:48, 05/10/12 »
Who's getting heavy? All I did was express my opinion and someone responded after taking it out of context.
For your info I have been climbing, mountaineering in Uk, Nepal, Euro Alps and Canadian Rocky Mountains for many years, and fell walking and running for 55 years.
I take part in high mileage ultras, moving over mixed terrain and right through the nightime hours, to list just some of my ourdoor activities.
I don't think I need to be told how to go about my outdoor activities or that my opinions are wrong by someone who only less than four years ago admitted that he didn't have much experience and asked for advice on another forum.
Oh and by the way, all my fell walking clothing is not bright or colourful, I have all sorts including black and grey, but idf you want to look good in a photo it has to be red. But then again that is just MY opinion.
« Last Edit: 17:58:04, 05/10/12 by Slogger »

AndrewLeary

« Reply #35 on: 17:47:35, 05/10/12 »
I take a mobile with me, so the tele-sales people can still get in touch..... :D

And yes it has happened, just as I got to the top of Barrow I got a call from BG  >:(

One thing though - there is no guarantee of a signal - there is none in the Eskdale valley area.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:14:10, 05/10/12 »
but if you want to look good in a photo it has to be red. But then again that is just MY opinion.
Blue surely? :D ;D :P

p.s. I'm a fan of grey and black usually as they don't attract the midges as much O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:52:57, 05/10/12 »
Blue surely? :D ;D :P

p.s. I'm a fan of grey and black usually as they don't attract the midges as much O0 .

O0    ;D
« Last Edit: 18:58:38, 05/10/12 by Ridge Walker »

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:58:01, 05/10/12 »
Who's getting heavy? All I did was express my opinion and someone responded after taking it out of context.
For your info I have been climbing, mountaineering in Uk, Nepal, Euro Alps and Canadian Rocky Mountains for many years, and fell walking and running for 55 years.
I take part in high mileage ultras, moving over mixed terrain and right through the nightime hours, to list just some of my ourdoor activities.
I don't think I need to be told how to go about my outdoor activities or that my opinions are wrong by someone who only less than four years ago admitted that he didn't have much experience and asked for advice on another forum.
Oh and by the way, all my fell walking clothing is not bright or colourful, I have all sorts including black and grey, but idf you want to look good in a photo it has to be red. But then again that is just MY opinion.
I don't think anyone is questioning any of your past experiences or indeed your capabilites O0 . I think things are misread or taken out of context occasionally thats all ;) .
R.I.P. Dave.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:03:46, 05/10/12 »
I don't think anyone is questioning any of your past experiences or indeed your capabilites O0 . I think things are misread or taken out of context occasionally thats all ;) .

Yes but there is no need to directly criticise someones post containing their opinion.
Hopefully those concerned will one day learn to respect others opinion even if it does conflict with theirs.
However this is going nowhere so there will be no further comment from me, except to say to everyone, enjoy your walking and stay safe out there.

footix2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:05:45, 05/10/12 »
Crikey.... it's just a coat. :D
82/214

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 20:20:31, 05/10/12 »
Crikey.... it's just a coat. :D
A blue coat ::) :P ;D
enjoy your walking and stay safe out there.
Indeed O0
R.I.P. Dave.

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:09:44, 05/10/12 »
I wear black.  If this results in death so be it.  If I were wearing orange or whatever I would prefer not to be found.

I can remember being at Lllanrwst many many years ago and the instructor telling us there was no street cred on the hill.  We soon put him right on that one.
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 21:35:54, 05/10/12 »
wow - hardcore or what?

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 21:49:34, 05/10/12 »
Right that's decided I'm only wearing a ninja costume from now on.. O0