Author Topic: TR 9th August Lonscale fell by Burnt Hause  (Read 1702 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR 9th August Lonscale fell by Burnt Hause
« on: 23:28:12, 12/08/20 »

Our friend Lynn was spending a few day in Keswick so we had a ride up to walk with her. We were very lucky getting the last space on the Gale road car park so saving us a stiff walk up from Keswick. The main path to Skiddaw was busy but once we had started on the Cumbria Way around Lonscale Fell the people count dropped significantly and we only saw one or two mountain bikers.

Making our way along to Whit Beck. The main path to Skiddaw can be seen in the background. This was Sue's first visit to the Lakes since the lockdown so she was wondering how her fitness would be ( we have been walking locally for a few weeks now though )

As you turn the corner the path takes this dramatic route high above the valley of the Glenderaterra. Great Calva is the dark peak ahead..

Looking back to Clough Head and the Helvellyn Dodds.

One of the mountain bikers makes his way along the narrow rocky path I think if I had a bike I'd be pushing it here.

The East ridge of Lonscale, still on the to-do list.

We reach the fence which runs down over Burnt Horse and turn left

On the steady climb now looking over Mungrisdale Common to Atkinson Pike on Blencathra.
Skiddaw house youth hostel hidden in the trees. . Great Calva in the background.

Skiddaw Little man and Skiddaw from near the top of the first climb

The stile marking the top of the first section of the climb. From here the path undulates delightfully along the ridge.

Lonscale's east top on the right with Blease Fell on Blencathra on the left with the Helvellyn fells in the distance.
We stop here in the lovely springy grass for our lunch.

We thought we might need our lunch to tackle the final steep climb up by the fence.

The view back from where the slope eases. The curved ridge of Burnt Horse is below then Great Calva is in the left foreground with Knott behind, then High Pike can just be seen then Carrock Fell and the very top of Bowscale Fell above Mungrisdale Common.

We leave the main path to detour over to the east top.

High Rigg, the Helvellyn fells Thirlmere and Steel Fell from the east top.

A peep over the edge to the valley 1500ft below.

The main top of Lonscale seen across the shallow depression between the tops. Skiddaw Lesser Man and Little Man in the background.

Keswick and Derwentwater from the main top. The day had become even warmer now but the blue skies from this morning have been replaced by a duller hazy cloud.

Zooming in on the Newlands fells.

And Scafell Pike and Great Gable.

And High Rigg with the Dodds and Helvellyn above.

Sue decided her fitness wasn't up to even the little climb over Jenkin Hill so we cut down the fell from Flag Pots and joined the " tourist " path This is looking down to Whit Beck..

Compulsory picture of the Hawell monument with Clough Head and Great Dodd behind..
 Our route was - Car park on Gale rd - Whit Beck - Cumbria way - Burnt Horse - Lonscale Fell East top - Lonscale Fell - Flag Pots - Skiddaw" tourist " path - Gale rd ( about 6.5 miles 1800 ft ascent )

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 9th August Lonscale fell by Burnt Hause
« Reply #1 on: 23:40:31, 12/08/20 »
Great pics Karl, looks a hot day.
Newlands is always so photogenic.

At least a few people are still going to the Lakes so I can get to see it.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:43:32, 13/08/20 »
Lovely pics Karl  O0  I do like the Burnt Horse Ridge  :) 

We still don't feel like we are back to pre lockdown fitness either. We have gone from slow old codgers to very slow old codgers  :D

;D
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:09:35, 13/08/20 »
Great photos of what looks like a great day out on the hill, Karl. At least you had the sense to avoid the thunderstorms! :D

I love that country Back O'Skiddaw, and that huge trench between Lonscale and Blencathra is a striking feature - the fault line must run all the way down to Cartmel, as from Hampsfell I can see up the Vale of Cartmel, over Windermere, through Dunmail Raise, through the Thirlmere valley and then up between Lonscale and Blencathra all the way to Great Calva.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

snaderson

« Reply #4 on: 08:17:43, 13/08/20 »
Lovely photographs, Karl, and very jealous-making. But aren't your "Newlands fells" the Coledale ones? E.g. Causey Pike's distinctive bumpy ridge, rather than Cat Bells's, and Braithwaite snuggling between Barrow and Kinn. I may be wrong (I often am!)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:30:25, 13/08/20 »
Lovely photographs, Karl, and very jealous-making. But aren't your "Newlands fells" the Coledale ones? E.g. Causey Pike's distinctive bumpy ridge, rather than Cat Bells's, and Braithwaite snuggling between Barrow and Kinn. I may be wrong (I often am!)

I was wondering that too - in fact I am sure that is Braithwaite at the foot of Coledale, and Force Crag at the head of it.

C'mon Karl - get your act together!  :D
« Last Edit: 08:33:44, 13/08/20 by richardh1905 »

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:25:35, 13/08/20 »
Suppose you were pretty safe, as A and B were in jockland  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:59:06, 13/08/20 »

They had a lucky escape  ;)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:08:33, 13/08/20 »
Great pics Karl, looks a hot day.
Newlands is always so photogenic.

Thanks Ridge, I'll keep you supplied with your Lakeland fix. I am enjoying it more now some of the riff raff are walking elsewhere  :D

Lovely pics Karl  O0  I do like the Burnt Horse Ridge  :) 

We still don't feel like we are back to pre lockdown fitness either. We have gone from slow old codgers to very slow old codgers  :D
Thanks April, It's a good job we got parked at Gale road as Sue said she probably wouldn't have made it up from Keswick ;D

I was wondering that too - in fact I am sure that is Braithwaite at the foot of Coledale, and Force Crag at the head of it.

C'mon Karl - get your act together!  :D

Of course they are the Coledale fells, it had been a hard day at work when I posted. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it  ;D

Still a bit close I'm hoping they discover the delights of hiking in Outer Mongolia  ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:26:06, 13/08/20 »
Thanks Ridge, I'll keep you supplied with your Lakeland fix. I am enjoying it more now some of the riff raff are walking elsewhere  :D

Still a bit close I'm hoping they discover the delights of hiking in Outer Mongolia  ;D

;D   We are heading further north this weekend.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:56:00, 13/08/20 »

As am I  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:51:06, 14/08/20 »

As am I  :)

Getting as far away as possible from Karl too?  ;)

I think you may be going further north than we are, Highlands I think I read? Enjoy  :)

Sorry, bit of a thread hijack  :-[
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:00:26, 14/08/20 »
Getting as far away as possible from Karl too?  ;)
I think you may be going further north than we are, Highlands I think I read? Enjoy  :)
Sorry, bit of a thread hijack  :-[
Tyndrum on Sunday, booked a pod for 4 nights. I've long wanted to climb Ben Lui, and my wife fancies a walk up Ben Cruachan.

/thread hijack - sorry Karl.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:09:08, 14/08/20 »
I have to say, Karl,  that the East Ridge of Lonscale Fell is NOT on my 'to do' list - more a candidate for my Banned list, by the look of it. But I have had my eye on that path that climbs across the western slopes above the wonderfully named Glenderaterra Beck - looks lovely.

(there - got the thread back on course)  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:13:41, 14/08/20 »
I have had my eye on that path that climbs across the western slopes above the wonderfully named Glenderaterra Beck - looks lovely.

Nicely back on thread Richard  :)
It is a lovely walk and I also love the name. Glenderaterra  :smitten:

Enjoy Tyndrum (Oops, back off thread)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy